Visible Resource Asteroids vs Probe Readings

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eyeklops
x4

Visible Resource Asteroids vs Probe Readings

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 4. May 21, 20:55

I've read a few times on this forum that visible resource asteroids do not match up with resource nodes. Can this be fixed? I spent last night dropping probes in Antigone Memorial trying to find 3.8+ density of ice (found 3.7 but no higher).

It's disheartening to drop a probe in the middle of a massive cluster of giant iceteroids only for the probe to tell me: naaa...no ice here (it literally didn't even list ice at all). Then I fly out into what looks like an empty area and it says: holy shit!...there's a TON of ice here!!!...but not quite enough to meet mission parameters.

I must have dropped and picked up my probes 70 or 80 times with no joy. I dropped probes all along the colored hexes and in the middle of ice clusters but rarely did the probe readings align to what I was viewing in the game world. I probed all the large ice clusters and also did interval random drops along the colored hexes and still only found 3.7 max. I'm not asking for "easy mode" but some coherence would be nice.

When I find a huge cluster of resources in game the probe readings should reflect that. I do believe the 3.8+ area of ice was in sector somewhere but if there is no visible indication of where it could be how do I find it? I don't think the high density regions should "jump out" at you from the sector map but if you actually explore the resource veins in sector they should stand out when you encounter them. Currently it feels like RNG "lottery" gameplay and that's not enjoyable for me.

EDIT: Moved from technical forum to here by me. Sorry for misunderstanding where this should be. My apologies.

Jeraal
x4

Re: Visible Resource Asteroids vs Probe Readings

Post by Jeraal » Tue, 4. May 21, 23:09

This is a long standing complaint shared by many. Even more so in regards to resource missions with the sector resource nerf. Is there a better term than nerf? It seems inadequate for this change. Maybe nuked to oblivion? I believe the dev position is something along the lines of "we'll see, maybe at some point".
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 4. May 21, 23:41

There could be 6.5 of Ice in https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JbvPjc ... sp=sharing

Yes, the routine does not generate transient asteroids exactly where the recource areas are. No clue why it has been made so.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Wed, 5. May 21, 01:37

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 23:41
There could be 6.5 of Ice in https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JbvPjc ... sp=sharing

Yes, the routine does not generate transient asteroids exactly where the recource areas are. No clue why it has been made so.
Thanks a TON! Although your map is slightly different than mine I found a large amount of ice there (visually) but not far outside the ice cluster I hit the resource target. I wonder if this is a co-ordinate offset problem in the code. When I was inside the large cluster the ice reported lower then just outside it to the south-east. Again..THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :)

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Wed, 5. May 21, 02:17

For me the place res probe upkeep mission told me that i have to find X amount but when i placed to where not even near as much it accepted. So this new thing not working properly. Bern Said that you don't even have to place multiple within any sector.

My other complain is there are places with full of blue silicon asteroids (scanner enabled) yet the yield is below 1.0 km3 or what. Then there are places where is almost zero with 5-10 km3.
It clearly shown to us that when the asteroid fields were designed, generated there was no buoy system in mind. Maybe the saved game compatibility not allow such changes.

It seems to me the THINK part of the game is all about how to out smart the buggy not well designed parts of the game. Since this res prob system i had to re design entire mining groups and build stations which has no other use than mine a trade ware then sell the trade ware. You can assign miners as traders. They will work as long as it not a resource for production.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Wed, 5. May 21, 03:16

Can we get rid of the upkeep missions to deploy resource probes for sector miners. The mission stays even if you move the miner to another system. I have hundreds of these upkeep missions in my log now.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Wed, 5. May 21, 04:20

Hello friends!

I leave you some screenshots with good locations for mining probes.

Pious Mists IV - X-Axis View - 6.7km Min / 6.7km Sil / 0.18km Methane
Pious Mists XI - X-Axis View - 0.23km Helium / 0.39km Hydrogen
The Void - X-Axis View - Z-Axis View - 14km Min / 0.53km Hydrogen
Gatsu Fune - X-Axis View - 16km Ice
Grand Exchange - X-Axis View - 17km Ice
The Reach - X-Axis View - 7,9km Min (a lot of minerals in sector)

I hope it will be useful ;)

See you next time!
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 5. May 21, 08:11

Virtualaughing wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 02:17
For me the place res probe upkeep mission told me
The mission guidance seems to point to "center" of the sector. I'd bet to coordinates (0,0,0). That location has nothing to do with resource distribution, it just says "this sector".

The "resource areas" (that probes report and low attention miners use) are most likely cubes with some 30+ km sides. The areas shown on map with colour and rocks in high attention are more "fluent", less "blocky". If the resource areas would be exactly filled with rocks, then the overall view could be rather "Minecraft".

PS/OT. It seems that guidance in Build Station missions did change with 4.0. It now points to "center" and only after accepting the mission does reveal the actual build location. While understandable, I strongly dislike not knowing what I'm buying.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”