(video) [Experience and feel of] Space Stations in X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rudi_pioneer
x4

(video) [Experience and feel of] Space Stations in X4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Mon, 10. May 21, 22:05

https://youtu.be/iI20Yz7nD0M

I needed a goal project for learning Final Cut Pro, and I was itching to make a X4 video since I think game needs more materials out there that capture what makes the game awesome, and this video is the result.

Virtualaughing
x4

Re: (video) [Experience and feel of] Space Stations in X4

Post by Virtualaughing » Tue, 11. May 21, 11:13

Love!
I have some factories with observation decks. Not for to increase or need more docks. Just for the sake of it.
When I build any station the way is to attach the docks to a horizontal 1 module. Then you can move it around and attach them with the copy sequence or just simple detach re attach them to otherwise impossible places. One of my favorites is a luxury 3 dock partially into a wheat farm you can hear the water sound.
Some may say that it is immersion but i don't like dirty windows and that glass around docks.
Lots of factories have weapon platforms for protection of docked ships. Not for practicality but for the immersion.
Since i have discovered that you can dock facing the other direction it is even better. Only that black bar is a painful experience.
Another favorite place is my foodstuff energy production in the north remote paranid space. The energy production is around 20k off from the main body of the factory. You can do that with the copy sequence too. You don't even need a big plot to do that.

Thanks for Sharing! :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Tue, 11. May 21, 11:44

Virtualaughing wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 11:13
Love!
I have some factories with observation decks. Not for to increase or need more docks. Just for the sake of it.
When I build any station the way is to attach the docks to a horizontal 1 module. Then you can move it around and attach them with the copy sequence or just simple detach re attach them to otherwise impossible places. One of my favorites is a luxury 3 dock partially into a wheat farm you can hear the water sound.
Some may say that it is immersion but i don't like dirty windows and that glass around docks.
Lots of factories have weapon platforms for protection of docked ships. Not for practicality but for the immersion.
Since i have discovered that you can dock facing the other direction it is even better. Only that black bar is a painful experience.
Another favorite place is my foodstuff energy production in the north remote paranid space. The energy production is around 20k off from the main body of the factory. You can do that with the copy sequence too. You don't even need a big plot to do that.

Thanks for Sharing! :D
Thank you, I haven't thought about partially clipping dock into structure, and that sounds like a great idea! I've done station partially clipping into gate / highway.

Also awesome on wheat farm having water sounds - I've started on Split run (first one was Terran), so either in this one or next one I'll get to more specialized stations with food production and such. So much to try in the game!

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 20. May 21, 00:21

rudi_pioneer wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 11:44

Thank you, I haven't thought about partially clipping dock into structure, and that sounds like a great idea! I've done station partially clipping into gate / highway.

Also awesome on wheat farm having water sounds - I've started on Split run (first one was Terran), so either in this one or next one I'll get to more specialized stations with food production and such. So much to try in the game!
First you pick and place a horizontal any type. Then move it around to attach the big docks. Then moving or rotating the small pierce you can put it even to the very edge of the plot.
Advanced tip. Small pierce, attached bigdock, a cross section not attached to the existing structure. Then rotating the small first pierce, then attach it to the cross or Paranid or Split triangle. Then remove the cross. Then build a small dock then a container storage. The build order will be with the maximum speed to actually get things working.

If you leave the cross section then that will be the first item. You can attach a vertical structure and copy sequence the whole. Then attach it on the top of the cross. You can have big docks extremely close to each other. The longer vertical is pretty much enough space for your ships to actually dock. It depends on it is a frequently visited place or not.

Another practical advise is to use habitats for vertical elements.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”