Workforce or workfarse ?.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreez
x4

Workforce or workfarse ?.

Post by Dreez » Tue, 11. May 21, 00:40

Currently planning a factory complex with over 200 modules, it's basically set up to provide ANY future needs for
building other stations and not having to look for components. Approaching almost 40k workers.
But i did some googling on how to increase the growth of the workforce and i saw a post on Reddit
that the current system works so that 1 worker/minute get added up to 20% workforce, then it's reduced
up to a point where you just don't get more workers.

If this is correct, it's literally the most stupid thing i've ever seen... limiting the workforce
in an X-universe so that our stations will never reach optimal performance if we build large stations,
which essentially means the devs wants us to build small stations.... and where's the fun in that ?.

Is this correct, that stations only get 1person/min added to workforce up to 20% then it's reduced ?.

/Edit. Just did some quick calc and apparently it'll take aprox 55 days playing 12 hours per day running NO SETA to get full workforce on 40k workers, that's just stupid.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Workforce or workfarse ?.

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. May 21, 01:26

Nope - sounds like bad or outdated info. Base workforce growth rate is +20 per shift. However there are also significant modifiers based on the amount of housing at the station (have seen as high as +1000% 'large habitat' bonus) & the population of inhabited planets in the sector (e.g. Argon Prime has a workforce availability bonus of +852%). It is also possible to gain this bonus by increasing the population of planets in a limited number of sectors via terraforming. There can also be negative modifiers if you don't have sufficient housing for the optimal workforce - can still fill the station eventually, but the rate will be reduced due to overcrowding.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Tue, 11. May 21, 01:45

So how do you determine the workforce bonus in a system ?.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. May 21, 01:55

Dreez wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 01:45
So how do you determine the workforce bonus in a system ?.
It's shown on the Manage Plots section of the map e.g.:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8oofysaii9pde ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Tue, 11. May 21, 02:24

Well the whole workforce thing is kind of overrated to be honest since you don't need a single worker for the factory to produce. About the only place you need a workforce is a Wharf or Shipyard because that is how your ships get crewed.

Also, I think the max workforce bonus you can get is +40% to production which may or may not offset the cost of having to provide food and medical supplies to that workforce if you don't provide those products yourself anyway.

That being said, I never worry too much about the workforce though if you ask me, the stations shouldn't actually produce a think unless you have a workforce. Just another flaw in the game in my opinion.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 11. May 21, 03:24

Dreez wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 00:40
But i did some googling on how to increase the growth of the workforce and i saw a post on Reddit
that the current system works so that 1 worker/minute get added up to 20% workforce, then it's reduced
up to a point where you just don't get more workers.
Since 4.00 this is no longer the case. Even then it was still 1 worker per minute per race and it started to slow at 20% of the habitation capacity. Building habitats for all 4 races enabled 4 workers per minute growth and building excess habitats prevented the growth reduction from crowding becoming significant. However this does not matter anymore due to changes with 4.00.

Worker growth rate is still 1 per minute per race, however there is now a growth rate bonus factor that can increase this well beyond that. Sectors with habited planets like Argon Prime have massive workforce growth rate bonuses (800%+ odd) giving a base of 9 workers per minute per race. Additionally building many large habitats will generate a significant growth rate bonus that increases as number of habitats increases. There is still the reduction in growth rate due to habitats being almost full, but this is now shown as a percentage modifier along with the growth rate bonuses. In general the bigger your station is, the faster its workforce will grow to the extent that by the time construction has finished it will already be a lot of the way to optimal workforce, even if using only habitats of a single race. If you are still worried then choose a sector with a good growth rate bonus and not care about growing workforce at all. Only some module types will still have issues with workforce growth keeping up, such as Claytronic and Computronic Substrate, due to the huge number of workers needed per module but these can be mixed with much less demanding modules to average high workforce percentage while building your station.

If the station makes its own food, consider building that first. Workforce can start to grow while a station is only partially constructed.
Midnitewolf wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 02:24
Well the whole workforce thing is kind of overrated to be honest since you don't need a single worker for the factory to produce. About the only place you need a workforce is a Wharf or Shipyard because that is how your ships get crewed.

Also, I think the max workforce bonus you can get is +40% to production which may or may not offset the cost of having to provide food and medical supplies to that workforce if you don't provide those products yourself anyway.

That being said, I never worry too much about the workforce though if you ask me, the stations shouldn't actually produce a think unless you have a workforce. Just another flaw in the game in my opinion.
Workforce is very important for modules to operate efficiently. Without workforce you will need a lot more production modules for the same output. This effective is multiplicative as well, since productivity lower down the chain allows more modules higher up which then produce more output each.

Workforce bonus varies depending on the production module. It is always profitable to have workforce as long as module is constantly producing. Production modules for cheaper wares will generally need few workers and produce large bonuses to compensate for their low price. Production modules for expensive, end product, wares will generally need a lot of workers and produce very small bonuses to compensate for their high price.

Return to “X4: Foundations”