Impossible to fully experience this game using a (Xbox) controller?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MrFiction
x3ap

Impossible to fully experience this game using a (Xbox) controller?

Post by MrFiction » Tue, 11. May 21, 21:28

X4 is pretty glorious on a big screen TV, especially when carpal tunnel severly limits my keyboard time. However, it's difficult to play with a controller, there are so many keybindings and so little controller buttons.

For example, how can I look around a ship with a controller?

I would assume it's possible with the right stick like most other games (No Man's Sky or any FPS), but I can't find a way to make it work. I tried using something like Xpadder to add a modifier button so I can hold a button and while that button is held down all other buttons have a new function. This doesn't work either, because some buttons are hardcoded (like closing the menu with the B button).

Right now using a controller feels very limited, you still need to sit behind a desk and use a keyboard and mouse to use most features. I hope somebody can prove me wrong and explain to me how it's supposed to work.

Buzz2005
x4

Re: Impossible to fully experience this game using a (Xbox) controller?

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 12. May 21, 08:53

I fly around with the controller but cant really use anything else without kb+mouse, I do remember and hope its true that ego is working on improving this and wingman commands etc... for controller
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Jaskan

Post by Jaskan » Wed, 12. May 21, 16:59

THe question is, Why would you want to play RTS with XBox controller.
I want to fly a loop the loop like that crop duster in the sky, but pls dont go buy a 747 for loop the loop.
I suppose you cant fit a sky scraper in a tent.

What you could do however, is damage the skyscraper so that it fits in tent that can then be taken to the beach. More flexible, more portable.

If you can play X4 with XBox controller , i swear i am going to rule the world and control it with my Tv remote.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 12. May 21, 17:06

we, me and you are not playing RTS, x4 is not RTS, it may be very similar but it is not RTS, flying ships with a controller imo is better then kb+m, building stations and management in map is not something we are asking for to be done with a controller, but giving orders to your wingman for example is something we do actually need
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Wed, 12. May 21, 20:47

Jaskan wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 16:59
THe question is, Why would you want to play RTS with XBox controller.
I want to fly a loop the loop like that crop duster in the sky, but pls dont go buy a 747 for loop the loop.
I suppose you cant fit a sky scraper in a tent.

What you could do however, is damage the skyscraper so that it fits in tent that can then be taken to the beach. More flexible, more portable.

If you can play X4 with XBox controller , i swear i am going to rule the world and control it with my Tv remote.
Why? Because I can't spend too much time on a keyboard and mouse because of carpal tunnel syndrome. Using a controller is a lot better for me.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 12. May 21, 21:17

XR had an interface where you could access anything with a controller. It was a mess, believe me.

Not saying it's impossible, but the current interface is the most fluid I've seen so far, and I'd rather keep it that way. To my sense, adding full controller access would work against this, but hey: if they find a way, go for it.

I'm also playing on my TV right now, and I'm using a joystick for flying, and keyboard + trackball for anything menu-related. The trackball can easily be used from a couch/recliner/standing up/hung upside down by your feet. I could even use it efficiently with my arm in a cask from shoulder to wrist. (Thumb was still free.) It takes some time getting used to, though, but it could be a solution for your carpal tunnel.

I keep a little stool next to my recliner chair for my joystick, and I can play without any issue. The setup is not quite as optimal as on a computer desk, but it's still pretty good.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

brevi
x4

Post by brevi » Thu, 13. May 21, 00:03

Give it up! You can not get the full experience with those controllers. Even with an Elite 2 and reWASD it is lacking. I can't do KB & M... it just seems wrong to me for this game.

For me, there is nothing better than a decent HOTAS. Unfortunately prices are through the roof right now. Try to get at a minimum a Thrustmaster T.16000M (never had one but I hear good things). You will love it.

I used to play with a X52 Pro... I now have a premium HOTAS + eye/head tracker and omfg (I literally have more buttons than I know what to do with)...

I will try Voice Attack next.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 13. May 21, 00:10

brevi wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 00:03
Give it up! You can not get the full experience with those controllers. Even with an Elite 2 and reWASD it is lacking. I can't do KB & M... it just seems wrong to me for this game.

For me, there is nothing better than a decent HOTAS. Unfortunately prices are through the roof right now. Try to get at a minimum a Thrustmaster T.16000M (never had one but I hear good things). You will love it.

I used to play with a X52 Pro... I now have a premium HOTAS + eye/head tracker and omfg (I literally have more buttons than I know what to do with)...

I will try Voice Attack next.
I have a TFlight HOTAS X. Pretty reasonable at the time I bought it and so so so good for flight in X4. I just use kb/m for the map control and station stuff.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Eriodas

Post by Eriodas » Thu, 13. May 21, 01:10

The guys up already answer.

Why would someone want to play a space SIMULATION with a gamepad??? (The game is actually much more than a space simulation but the part in question can be categorized as one). I have some gamepads in the house but also a Joystick and even when it's a very old model (Sidewinder force feedback II) I can have a much better experience with it than Kb+M or Gamepads.

I just use the right hand to steer, look around, fire guns, fire missiles, change target, change missiles, and the other hand since it's already on the keyboard because of the strafing (wasd), can be used for any other thing.

Gamepads are for RPG, FPS, arcade games, or something simple and more console-like. Games like this are just far too complex to try to control with just one type of game controller.

The better way to play using the gamepad is just to try to put everything you NORMALLY use in situations like quick combat, into the buttons and simplify the way you play.

Gamepads are just not designed for these games, Egosoft did the best job they could by making the controllers compatible in some way. Trying to put everything you can into a tiny controller will break many things.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 13. May 21, 02:29

The OP has already given their reasons for why they'd like to play with the gamepad, which is something the game supports. To what extent we support it is the question and of course that's something we'll gladly try to answer questions on and improve in the future. No more "that's not how the game should be played" comments please.

That said, I don't have much experience with it myself so I can't really add anything constructive at the moment. I've seen a few things on reddit with people trying to set up modifier keys for controllers/joysticks to get more input combinations, but of course that's rather hacky and I can't say what doesn't work properly with those kinds of solutions. I'll put a link to it here anyway: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... fier_keys/
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 13. May 21, 02:45

Theres always the pretty good steam control mapping software which you can do a heck of alot of config, better than xpadder used to be. Shame not alot of ppl know its there for all steam games and non steam games as it works when u add a non steam game too. Like change any button to a pad control or keystroke or combo, change deadzones, use a multi layered control scheme to get even more controls than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFM9lWbfpQ4
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Thu, 13. May 21, 13:07

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I've bought a mini wireless keyboard (manufactured by Rii) which solves a lot of issues since it also has an integrated touchpad.

I feel like I'm 80% done. The keyboard doesn't have a numpad so looking around is still not possible but I'm trying to find a solution.

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Fri, 14. May 21, 23:59

I don’t know if this helps, but I play with a Xbox controller for flight as I enjoy it more, and I’m less likely to accidentally trigger the wrong command with shift clicking WASD. I simply hotswap what I am using if I need to do something on the map and swap back after. I’ve got a cheap laptop lap desk I use for KEyboard and mouse when I’m not playing at my desk and want to play on the big screen.

Edit:
There was also a controller Steam came out with which was supposed to be a link to be a hybrid between controller and mouse, but I don’t know if you can even buy them anymore.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sat, 15. May 21, 04:03

I think things could be improved a lot with the ability to use multi-button commands on controller, eg. Y+Up to engage Travel. I think Everspace 2 does this well, although X4 would need to dial it up to 3000.

This could be enhanced by the ability to switch when button actions trigger actions, ie. when button is pressed, vs when button is released.

My main issue with playing with a controller (which I do) is how difficult it is to get auto-aim weapons to fix on targets. I’d love to get a joystick, but until that time, I’ll have to keep doubling with KB/M.

Also, there could be better integration between using both controller and KB/M. For example a delay in respons when switching between methods. Also if you target something with a mouse, I will often instantly use that target as soon as I touch the controller.

Gvaz
x3tc

Post by Gvaz » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:25

I'd also like to know this, I prefer to just fly the ship with a controller

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 05:49

Why on earth would you use a Xbox controller to fly a star ship?
Just... another... bug.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 10:45

why do you all have this need to question this controller thing, if you didn't try it then with all do respect stop asking

imo its way better then kb+m. PERIOD

Its everyones personal choice and even a necessity as OP has carpal tunnel

in the end we are all wrong and the only way to fly in x4 is HOTAS :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”