Problems on efficiency of mining silicon

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Splendar
x4

Problems on efficiency of mining silicon

Post by Splendar » Wed, 12. May 21, 00:43

Hey guys, recently i met a question about mining silicon.I want to know has any met the same problem with me and how to solve it if yes.Here the problems:
Yesterday i found my miners(a M miner) can collect silicon at 20% the speed of collecting ore when i'm playing a new game. To solve the problem i made sereval tests on miners with different sizes, types and even different skill level of pilots, but they could collect silicon at 20% the speed of collecting ore under all circumstances.
Then i returned to my old profile to do the test.The result is weird: all the old ships could work normally, but all new ships i built got a poor efficiency on mining silicon.
The only mod i'm using about mining is "Improved Mining Operation" on steam, it worked very well till yesterday i found the problem. And the problem still exsists when i removed the mod.
One of my friend also met this problem.We have tried removeing all mods but still can't take effcet.
I wonder if anyone using the same mod facing the same problem, and if there are any solutions?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Problems on efficiency of mining silicon

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 12. May 21, 01:08

Removing a mod might not fix the changes it made. I suggest testing a new game to see if the problem happens there.

Silicon is meant to be mined slower than other wares. Specifically for it to be mined at the same speed as ore, the ship must be 5 star (including service crew) and within 40 km of a resource probe. With a 0 star crew the mining will be under 1% of the speed of ore, and even with a perfect crewed ship it will be ~50% of the speed of ore unless within 40 km of a resource probe.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Wed, 12. May 21, 03:01

Remove all your mining probes, place them again in person very close to high yielding ester, do it within 3km of them.
Then retire all your size L miners (if you have them) and use 10 M ships and 20 S ships.
You will see that your life will change :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 12. May 21, 08:13

L miners have no problem mining Silicon. If anything they are recommended if they have high skilled crew.

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Wed, 12. May 21, 13:13

Are ressource yield hotspots fixed for given sectors and is there a list?

Because I'm not quite ready yet to just randomly placing ressource probes all over a sector to try and find the actual high ressource yield spots because for some reason Egosoft can't have physical ressource asteroid spawns match with actual ressource hotspots. And I do kind of find it ridiculous that I apparently need 6 L miners (with full crew) to just barely keep a 4x Silicon Wafer factory supplied with just enough silicon to not have massive breaks in production due to not enough silicon whereas 2 identically outfitted (including crew skill level, give or take) L miners can keep a 8x Refined Metals factory stocked with ore no problemo, in fact I used to have 3 on there but found they overcollected so I pulled one of them and assigned it to the Silicon Wafer factory.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 12. May 21, 14:14

Feloidea wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 13:13
Yes they are fixed, determined by seed values stored in data files that are consistent between players. Sadly I do not know of a good list.

For Silicon so far the best non-Xenon sector I know of is Family Zhin. Pretty much everywhere in the sector is high yield Silicon. Let the miners naturally seek out zones to mine, and use map view to dump resource probes near them. If they over deplete an area they will generally seek out new ones and you can repeat until enough area is covered with probes that replenishment keeps up.

I think some Xenon sectors have similar or even better yield, but those will need to be liberated first. Some hazard sectors like The Void also have good Silicon, but they are hazard sectors so miners try to avoid them.

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Wed, 12. May 21, 14:27

Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 14:14
Feloidea wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 13:13
Yes they are fixed, determined by seed values stored in data files that are consistent between players. Sadly I do not know of a good list.

For Silicon so far the best non-Xenon sector I know of is Family Zhin. Pretty much everywhere in the sector is high yield Silicon. Let the miners naturally seek out zones to mine, and use map view to dump resource probes near them. If they over deplete an area they will generally seek out new ones and you can repeat until enough area is covered with probes that replenishment keeps up.

I think some Xenon sectors have similar or even better yield, but those will need to be liberated first. Some hazard sectors like The Void also have good Silicon, but they are hazard sectors so miners try to avoid them.
Fitting that said operation of mine is based off of Family Zhin. In lieu of having a list to refer to I'll see to tracing my miners and dumping a ressource probe at their waterholes. Thanks. I'll also see if my Google Foo is strong enough to find a list somewhere.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 13. May 21, 02:06

Feloidea wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 14:27
I'll also see if my Google Foo is strong enough to find a list somewhere.
Many of the lists are based off the yield type of the resource region. This likely governs replenishment rate but does not govern the actual per zone/resource volume yield of the sector, since according to tests done by players on the Egosoft discord it likely factors in physical asteroid field characteristics and ignores those yield values. You can tell such incorrect lists if they show Asteroid Belt as being better for ore than The Reach, since in actual gameplay The Reach is one of the best sectors for Ore while Asteroid Belt is among the worst (so much so resource probes in Asteroid Belt are not registered as having Ore available to mine by auto mine logic).

Splendar
x4

Post by Splendar » Thu, 13. May 21, 03:03

Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 01:08
Removing a mod might not fix the changes it made. I suggest testing a new game to see if the problem happens there.

Silicon is meant to be mined slower than other wares. Specifically for it to be mined at the same speed as ore, the ship must be 5 star (including service crew) and within 40 km of a resource probe. With a 0 star crew the mining will be under 1% of the speed of ore, and even with a perfect crewed ship it will be ~50% of the speed of ore unless within 40 km of a resource probe.
If "a new game" means start a new game to do a test, the problem still exsists.
I just learned how to extract game files yesterday and found that the mining efficiency of silicon is set to 0.015f(others' are set to 0.9f), is it the properly "slower" or just my game modified? And the mining mod which I'm using sets the value to 1.2f. But seems the modification doesn't take effect(although other parts of the mod works well).
Anyway thanks for your help. I'll try to re-install the game and test again.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 13. May 21, 04:12

Splendar wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 03:03
I just learned how to extract game files yesterday and found that the mining efficiency of silicon is set to 0.015f(others' are set to 0.9f), is it the properly "slower" or just my game modified? And the mining mod which I'm using sets the value to 1.2f. But seems the modification doesn't take effect(although other parts of the mod works well).
That handles the skill and resource probe efficiency. The value caps out at 1.0f which means crew skill and resource probes make no difference to mining speed. Larger values are automatically clipped to 1.0f, so this shows the mod author did not understand what they were modifying or the value is used somewhere else that is not widely known.

Mining speed also depends on the zone being mined. Higher resource yields will mine faster than lower resource yields. Additionally it depends on the mining DPS of the ship, as well as the flight speed of the ship. Higher mining DPS increases mining speed but with significant diminishing returns. Higher flight speed increases mining speed significantly, so mk3 engines on a M ship will mine faster than mk1 engines. It also seems that SPL Mk3 combat mines the fastest of all the M engines, with SPL Mk4 combat engines mining slower, possibly due to some overflow in the calculation. If the ship is a L ship, then number of mining drones affects mining speed, with all drones being mining drones being the optimal loadout, although not always most practical.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 13. May 21, 07:19

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 04:12
Splendar wrote:
That handles the skill and resource probe efficiency. The value caps out at 1.0f which means crew skill and resource probes make no difference to mining speed. Larger values are automatically clipped to 1.0f, so this shows the mod author did not understand what they were modifying or the value is used somewhere else that is not widely known.

Mining speed also depends on the zone being mined. Higher resource yields will mine faster than lower resource yields. Additionally it depends on the mining DPS of the ship, as well as the flight speed of the ship. Higher mining DPS increases mining speed but with significant diminishing returns. Higher flight speed increases mining speed significantly, so mk3 engines on a M ship will mine faster than mk1 engines. It also seems that SPL Mk3 combat mines the fastest of all the M engines, with SPL Mk4 combat engines mining slower, possibly due to some overflow in the calculation. If the ship is a L ship, then number of mining drones affects mining speed, with all drones being mining drones being the optimal loadout, although not always most practical.
Also not only the mining is nerfed but the ships are stopping for half hour on repeated police checks reducing the efficiency further in addition to the KHK ships spamming all over the place even when have taken down 2 KHK stations in same system.

The silicon mining then having 0.015 efficiency, cut in half due to police and further due to KHK. We want to play a fricking game not waste 100 hours (already I am on that time on my TER campaign) and having 2 stations barely have worked 2 hours due to silicon shortages even when I have 50 miners.

arshiba
x4

Post by arshiba » Thu, 13. May 21, 07:43

Splendar wrote:
You are wrong. First parameter is "mining/efficiency" (by Egosoft), second is "mining/reasonableGatherRates" (mine). And yes, my mod doesn't modify mining efficiency (for the player, to be clear).

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 13. May 21, 08:07

Panos wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 07:19
The silicon mining then having 0.015 efficiency, cut in half due to police and further due to KHK. We want to play a fricking game not waste 100 hours (already I am on that time on my TER campaign) and having 2 stations barely have worked 2 hours due to silicon shortages even when I have 50 miners.
All that 0.015 means is that it is near impossible to mine Silicon without a reasonably skilled crew. Throw in some service crew (who naturally level up) and feed the pilot some shop brought seminars until they are just below 3 stars and when nearby a resource probe you are looking at a final mining rate of 0.1-0.3 odd which is not too bad. This is how I keep 6 computronic substrate fabs operational.

IRONOX
x4

Post by IRONOX » Thu, 13. May 21, 12:17

So basicly you can/should only start building stations with miners when you have 20 4-star captains lying around?? geez....
Alle Angaben mit Gewähr auf eventuelle Fehlerhaftigkeit!

Splendar
x4

Post by Splendar » Thu, 13. May 21, 12:38

arshiba wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 07:43
Splendar wrote:
You are wrong. First parameter is "mining/efficiency" (by Egosoft), second is "mining/reasonableGatherRates" (mine). And yes, my mod doesn't modify mining efficiency (for the player, to be clear).
While, seems I got too tired and misread the pararmeters :). Seems I have to work more to find the reason.
BTW, glad to see you in forum :D

Splendar
x4

Post by Splendar » Thu, 13. May 21, 13:05

Imperial Good wrote:

So, if a miner has 0-star crew and no probes around, the mining speed of silicon is about 1/60(0.015/0.9) of ore.
And I need my miner with not only 5-star captain but also 5-star crews and probes around to increase the scale to 100%, is it?
That's quite weired to set such a serious restriction to silicon.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 13. May 21, 22:16

Splendar wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 13:05
Imperial Good wrote:

So, if a miner has 0-star crew and no probes around, the mining speed of silicon is about 1/60(0.015/0.9) of ore.
And I need my miner with not only 5-star captain but also 5-star crews and probes around to increase the scale to 100%, is it?
That's quite weired to set such a serious restriction to silicon.
Basically they made the game a tedious grind if you don't use mods :evil:

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Thu, 13. May 21, 22:25

Panos wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 22:16

Basically they made the game a tedious grind if you don't use mods :evil:
Bah, that's such an overstatement. A single L miner mining silicon gets a full load in some... 15? minutes (this is the time it seems to take for it to go get mining, mine, return to sell) when using autominer. Might be 30 minutes, but no more than that and that's with bad captain and mediocre-at-best crew.

Of course with some supermassive complex that would feed it for the next 10 minutes maybe, so yes - you'd need a few of these :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”