Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

So.. would you like to see a future remodel of the 4 Paranid ships

Poll ended at Sun, 6. Jun 21, 21:00

Yes i'd love a re-skin on the 4 ships, can't stand the current.
63%
No. I'd rather have development focused elsewhere.
31%
I don't care because i never use them personally anyway so i don't have to look at them.
7%

Total votes: 59

Fishille
x4

Re: Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

Post by Fishille » Tue, 1. Jun 21, 22:19

I sadly agree with the sentiment here, my other pet-peeve is M class ships with a dock, like why even bother, who even wants to park a single fighter on top of a M class so ugly and fat just so I can land on it.
However this topic has inspired me to relook at the Oddy and see if I can give it some love. Maybe build a fleet, fly into Xenon space and take some screen shots. Will that break my monitor?

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Tue, 1. Jun 21, 23:22

Not just the capitals, all ships of that Flash Gordon blimp style including the M miners and L freighters and miners might benefit from a refresh.

Demeter and Hermes look relatively credible by comparison and bear comparison with the Mercury and Ides. Makes you wonder what was in the fruit punch at the last Paranid ship design convention. I dont think the Pontifex would approve!
bloop

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 15:31

I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much - they are consistent with past games designs and somewhat functional...

...unlike Shroom Teladi ships that are ugly and non functional (e.g. hull blocking turret coverage).

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 16:35

Submarine wrote:
Tue, 1. Jun 21, 23:22
Not just the capitals, all ships of that Flash Gordon blimp style including the M miners and L freighters and miners might benefit from a refresh.

Demeter and Hermes look relatively credible by comparison and bear comparison with the Mercury and Ides. Makes you wonder what was in the fruit punch at the last Paranid ship design convention. I dont think the Pontifex would approve!
I love the M miners though.
And I don't see what this credible and bear comparison thing even means.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 17:56

l really dislike the Oddy, Its not all about the shape, for me its how poorly blended are modules and landing pad with overall ship hull.

I think that a new design could be inspired by the incredible X3 Deimos M7 and X3 Oddy M2.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 18:02

Just throwing that in: The answer "No I want them to focus on other things" is very often misunderstood as quite a few people just think that a developer-employee does it all.

The dude responsible for models and textures is likely NOT the same one coding in new features and fixing bugs in the code.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 18:09

Shehriazad wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 18:02
Just throwing that in: The answer "No I want them to focus on other things" is very often misunderstood as quite a few people just think that a developer-employee does it all.

The dude responsible for models and textures is likely NOT the same one coding in new features and fixing bugs in the code.
I want them to focus on making new ships and not reskin existing ones. How is that for an answer?

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 18:53

Shehriazad wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 18:02

I don't really care. I never liked them in X3 anyway, I actually greatly prefer the Oddy now. Or the Teladi designs for the most part back in X3 and some of them now in X4, mainly fighters.
I just choose what I like instead.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 19:01

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 15:31
I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much -
Specifically, the bits that hang down. The hair dryer handle if you will. If that was chopped off the ship would automatically be 20 times better to me aesthetically.

As for Teladi Capital ships, I dont like the destroyer or the freighter, but I do like the Carrier and Aux Ship. Think they both look nice.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 19:20

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 19:01
mr.WHO wrote:
I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much -
Specifically, the bits that hang down. The hair dryer handle if you will. If that was chopped off the ship would automatically be 20 times better to me aesthetically.

As for Teladi Capital ships, I dont like the destroyer or the freighter, but I do like the Carrier and Aux Ship. Think they both look nice.
The hair dryer handle serves an important function of increasing the field of fire for the large turrets on it. It needs to stay for functional reasons.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 20:32

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 19:20

The hair dryer handle serves an important function of increasing the field of fire for the large turrets on it. It needs to stay for functional reasons.
Pfft. There's no point in being functional if you can't look cool doing it.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 20:46

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 20:32
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 19:20

Cool is subjective. I am fine with the look of the Odysseus.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 21:11

Untill first DLC, Oddyseus was my main destroyer of choice specifically due to hairdryer and Large turret configuration.
Zeus was also not bad battle carrier due to good turret concentration (compatrng to Collossus and Condor).

I really can't see what is so awful with X4 Paranid capships and I played every X-game from X-BTF.

For me the record low are Teladi mushroom Capships (freighters are OK as thanks to cargo containers, turrets are not obstruct by shroom disc), but absolute record trash were Teladi fighters from X-Rebirth DLC (aka mini pods/muschroom fighters).

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 22:12

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 21:11
Untill first DLC, Oddyseus was my main destroyer of choice specifically due to hairdryer and Large turret configuration.
Zeus was also not bad battle carrier due to good turret concentration (compatrng to Collossus and Condor).

I really can't see what is so awful with X4 Paranid capships and I played every X-game from X-BTF.

For me the record low are Teladi mushroom Capships (freighters are OK as thanks to cargo containers, turrets are not obstruct by shroom disc), but absolute record trash were Teladi fighters from X-Rebirth DLC (aka mini pods/muschroom fighters).
Outside TER capships, the Phoenix Sentinel is the toughest of all. While the engine side is well armoured and defended.
208K shield 1770 recharge rate (TER L MK3), 124K hull and well placed turrets that can be matched only by Osaka.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 22:26

mr.WHO wrote:
I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much - they are consistent with past games designs and somewhat functional...

...unlike Shroom Teladi ships that are ugly and non functional (e.g. hull blocking turret coverage).
Aesthetics are always subjective. Have never liked the look of Paranid ships in any of the X games (not just X4), so consistency to past designs is a distinct negative as far as I'm concerned. Teladi ships on the other hand I do rather like & they're most definitely functional ships. Played one game using Teladi ships exclusively & they worked well enough.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 23:00

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 20:32
If we find a cute&cool ship that is completely dysfunctional, then we can give it to you.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:14

mr.WHO wrote:

:o

I like the 'shrooms. They make sense in a apace environment with dorsal ventral port starboard symmetry, that front shield facing the enemy taking punishment also makes sense and they look like they were crafted with some thought.

I agree the Paranid ships are consistent with X2 ! But IMHO they look a bit rushed in the way they are built out of oblate spheroids with no discernable design philosophy. Its not a high priority, I just dont use them except the Nemesis which does look cool and not at all blimpy, which si why they look cool, also the salvageable Perseus which is worth having since its free and looks a bit like the Cylon raiders from BSG TOS.

All the others have some kind of philosophy. Teladi its commercially functional & defensive, Terrans are like city architecture - glass and steel skyscrapers in space reflecting the urbanised homeworld of humanity, Split ships look fast like arrows and are fast, Argon are structurally credible with an hint of engineering in the designs which I like despite the unsurvivably low speeds of their unmodified fighters.

Many larger Paranid ships on the other hand are nondescript blimps. My guess would be it was possibly an attempt to reach the idea of religiously inspired aesthetics of smoothness but it does not really work as they all look like blow moulded plastic bath toys. On the other hand I do quite like the more elegant organic forms of the Paranid station parts and feel that they ought to use that approach for their ships and go for elegant religious aesthetics blended with effective technology look. Not bath toys.

And whats happened to the Borons? Where is my bofu?
bloop

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:47

Submarine wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:14
:o

I like the 'shrooms. They make sense in a apace environment with dorsal ventral port starboard symmetry, that front shield facing the enemy taking punishment also makes sense and they look like they were crafted with some thought.

I agree the Paranid ships are consistent with X2 ! But IMHO they look a bit rushed in the way they are built out of oblate spheroids with no discernable design philosophy. Its not a high priority, I just dont use them except the Nemesis which does look cool and not at all blimpy, which si why they look cool, also the salvageable Perseus which is worth having since its free and looks a bit like the Cylon raiders from BSG TOS.

All the others have some kind of philosophy. Teladi its commercially functional & defensive, Terrans are like city architecture - glass and steel skyscrapers in space reflecting the urbanised homeworld of humanity, Split ships look fast like arrows and are fast, Argon are structurally credible with an hint of engineering in the designs which I like despite the unsurvivably low speeds of their unmodified fighters.

Many larger Paranid ships on the other hand are nondescript blimps. My guess would be it was possibly an attempt to reach the idea of religiously inspired aesthetics of smoothness but it does not really work as they all look like blow moulded plastic bath toys. On the other hand I do quite like the more elegant organic forms of the Paranid station parts and feel that they ought to use that approach for their ships and go for elegant religious aesthetics blended with effective technology look. Not bath toys.

And whats happened to the Borons? Where is my bofu?
I hate the Teladi mushroom ships, I like the Paranid designs. You feel the opposite. It is all subjective.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 01:20

I don’t like their designs, Oddy especially. I think it’s because of a dissonance between their smooth, sleek and featureless metal hull and huge, intrusive surface elements sticking out everywhere, like L turrets and M landing pad on an Oddy. It looks weird. Maybe that’s why I liked PAR designs in X3 much more. Hairdryer design… not sure, maybe it’d look fine without oversized surface elements everywhere.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 02:01

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 23:00
If we find a cute&cool ship that is completely dysfunctional, then we can give it to you.
:D I'll happily add anything that looks cool to my armada even if it flies about as good as a brick.

Return to “X4: Foundations”