Is fighting harder ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

af_2017
x4

Re: Is fighting harder ?

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 16:42

Trevelvis wrote:
Sat, 5. Jun 21, 22:27
Is fighting harder ?
Nope, it's not harder, it's different.
I suggest to get familiar with current weapons/ships/flying and npc behavior.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 02:55

It can be at times yes.

The AI seems to use one of 2 tactics
most of the time - figure of 8 strafing runs with you as the focal point
some of the time - staying in your rear blind spot

If there are a group of enemies they will tag-team
One or more boost away to recharge shields
And at the same time
One or more will close in to engage you

If you're in something with turrets [attack my target] is a better default than [attack all enemies]
with the latter each turret can select a different enemy as it's target
which just fast tracks you into the tag-team strategy

Kajar
x4

Post by Kajar » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 07:17

S Fighter vs S Fighter is very much a numbers game. The side with more fighters usually wins. Make sure to equip proper anti-fighter weapons, Pulse Laser or Beam, to reliably hit your target. Keep moving, strafing and rolling all the time to throw off the enemy aim. Make plenty of use of your boost and travel drive in combat to keep your speed up - Combat engines recommended as they activate travel drive instantly and have the least shield reduction when boosting. In this the terran engines are king and they might just be the best engines for dogfighting. Split engines are more for boom-and-zoom with their high base speed but low acceleration, pretty much the opposite of terran. The other three engines are somewhere in the middle with Argon having the best travel top speed, Paranid having slightly better base and boost top speeds and the Teladi shifting more towards acceleration.

I personaly also use the Nodan or Discoverer as an early player ship. Nodan just looks nice and fancy and is a decent light fighter as well. And the Discoverer is, well, the Discoverer. Its filled with nostalgia.
You might also want to look into the Quasar, while on paper it looks worse than the Eclipse, the Quasar has much, much better responsiveness giving it some massive dogfighting mobility. The Eclipse definitely needs more space to move. Ares might just be the best and most cost effective heavy fighter in the game, if you dont plan on travelling much.

As for the best ship for the player to personally fly? Hands down the standard Dragon model. 4x Medium Beam Mk2 to oneshot fighters from max range. 2x Heavy Swarm missile launchers for big punching power against capital ships and for removing groups of turrets super easily, and just deleting enemy M sized targets.. 2x Plasma turrets for extra DPS against capitals. That set up is easily capable of clearing entire xenon sectors all alone, without any support. Might even be able to conquer the entire galaxy with a single Dragon.
Not the Raider variant because it got no missile capacity and using a pure 6-gun setup is a bad idea because of the massive cooldown reduction your weapons and you will be sitting on heat forever.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 11. Jun 21, 10:25

aversin wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 07:17
That set up is easily capable of clearing entire xenon sectors all alone, without any support.
I have a feeling it would struggle to take out Xenon Defence Stations faster than they can rebuild them. It just lacks the DPS to do much to them as those things are ridiculously tough.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 18:11

aversin wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 07:17
S Fighter vs S Fighter is very much a numbers game. The side with more fighters usually wins. Make sure to equip proper anti-fighter weapons, Pulse Laser or Beam, to reliably hit your target. Keep moving, strafing and rolling all the time to throw off the enemy aim. Make plenty of use of your boost and travel drive in combat to keep your speed up - Combat engines recommended as they activate travel drive instantly and have the least shield reduction when boosting. In this the terran engines are king and they might just be the best engines for dogfighting. Split engines are more for boom-and-zoom with their high base speed but low acceleration, pretty much the opposite of terran. The other three engines are somewhere in the middle with Argon having the best travel top speed, Paranid having slightly better base and boost top speeds and the Teladi shifting more towards acceleration.

I personaly also use the Nodan or Discoverer as an early player ship. Nodan just looks nice and fancy and is a decent light fighter as well. And the Discoverer is, well, the Discoverer. Its filled with nostalgia.
You might also want to look into the Quasar, while on paper it looks worse than the Eclipse, the Quasar has much, much better responsiveness giving it some massive dogfighting mobility. The Eclipse definitely needs more space to move. Ares might just be the best and most cost effective heavy fighter in the game, if you dont plan on travelling much.

As for the best ship for the player to personally fly? Hands down the standard Dragon model. 4x Medium Beam Mk2 to oneshot fighters from max range. 2x Heavy Swarm missile launchers for big punching power against capital ships and for removing groups of turrets super easily, and just deleting enemy M sized targets.. 2x Plasma turrets for extra DPS against capitals. That set up is easily capable of clearing entire xenon sectors all alone, without any support. Might even be able to conquer the entire galaxy with a single Dragon.
Not the Raider variant because it got no missile capacity and using a pure 6-gun setup is a bad idea because of the massive cooldown reduction your weapons and you will be sitting on heat forever.
I am trying to open up more of the map to find better ships but it takes time if exploring sectors as well but can you give me a direction to try get Dragon , thanks

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:12

Overall direction is "North". If you see Split ships, then comm them and ask where you can find a Wharf.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Kajar
x4

Post by Kajar » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:39

Trevelvis wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 18:11

I am trying to open up more of the map to find better ships but it takes time if exploring sectors as well but can you give me a direction to try get Dragon , thanks
Depends on from where you start your journed. If coming from argon prime, the fastst, but also dangerous route, would be to go north of Hatikvahs Choice 1, through the Xenon Sector of Tharkas Cascade - Lots of evil robots plus some mild radiation damage - go north until you reach the gate to Family Zhin. Go East to Family Nhuut. East again to Open Market and finally North to Zyarths Dominion.

Alternatively you could go northeast of Profit Center Alpha to Two Grand, then northwest to Open Market and then just north again to Zyarths Dominion.

Asking for directions to a wharf or shipyards only guides you to the nearest one, not to one of their factions.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:45

Well, you have been warned about the Dragon. Chances are, you won't be able to purchase the Dragon anyway right away, since Split start with a -15 relationship to Argons. I find it highly strange to recommend this ship to a beginner, but whatever. Maybe it will fit your style.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 10:15

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:45
Well, you have been warned about the Dragon. Chances are, you won't be able to purchase the Dragon anyway right away, since Split start with a -15 relationship to Argons. I find it highly strange to recommend this ship to a beginner, but whatever. Maybe it will fit your style.
What would your choice be if not the dragon ?? Obviously me starting rep isn’t easy to change when in unfriendly factions all I can do is fight but useless at it .

GReaper
x4

Post by GReaper » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 11:44

Hi everyone!

I'll keep my answer short because other people have already explained things better :D Here are my 2 cents:

- I started with a Nemesis and I really liked it. It was my personal ship for a lot of time. I think it has balanced shields and weapons.

- Then I switched to a Dragon, and later to a Dragon Raider. I loved it. Really good damage... but a glass cannon. As others pointed out, be careful about Dragons because they are hard to master. I wouldn't recommend them for new players.

- Since CoH (4.0) I'm flying a Katana and I also love it. Really fast and great weapons and shields. By now, and despite I love the Dragon Raider, I'll stick with the Katana because of (much) greater shields.

As a side note, I use my personal ship to also fight capital ships (mainly Xenon K and I) and doing so with a Dragon Raider is a challenge. You have to be very good at finding blind spots and dodging bullets. With the Katana I feel more comfortable because of greater shields which allows me more "mistakes".

Hope you find your "perfect" ship! :)

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 13:28

GReaper wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 11:44
Hi everyone!

I'll keep my answer short because other people have already explained things better :D Here are my 2 cents:

- I started with a Nemesis and I really liked it. It was my personal ship for a lot of time. I think it has balanced shields and weapons.

- Then I switched to a Dragon, and later to a Dragon Raider. I loved it. Really good damage... but a glass cannon. As others pointed out, be careful about Dragons because they are hard to master. I wouldn't recommend them for new players.

- Since CoH (4.0) I'm flying a Katana and I also love it. Really fast and great weapons and shields. By now, and despite I love the Dragon Raider, I'll stick with the Katana because of (much) greater shields.

As a side note, I use my personal ship to also fight capital ships (mainly Xenon K and I) and doing so with a Dragon Raider is a challenge. You have to be very good at finding blind spots and dodging bullets. With the Katana I feel more comfortable because of greater shields which allows me more "mistakes".

Hope you find your "perfect" ship! :)
I feel like the Nemesis has the best handling/agility, the Dragon Raider the best damage, and the katana the best speed... maybe I'm off... the katana feels like it handles like... a whale, or something that has terrible handling, lol. I love the katana, but that handling...

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 13:44

At some point you get numerical superiority against your S fighter and then it's quickly toast. In space there isn't much cover. Most transition to M ships then. Matching the numbers is often not finacially viable at the point in playthroughs.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 15:59

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 13:28
... the katana feels like it handles like... a whale, or something that has terrible handling, lol. I love the katana, but that handling...
IMO, the Katana is a jouster. With that high speed it can make nice passes on targets and gtfo for another pass. And with the Terran weapons, the bullet speed is actually high enough to hit things from decently far away so it tends to shred most things in a single pass. Less gun than a Dragon, Nemesis or Kurokami, but I always felt it was worth the trade off for Terran Bullet speed so you dont have to get in so close and risk getting pelted by multiple targets.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 16:44

KextV8 wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 15:59
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 13:28
... the katana feels like it handles like... a whale, or something that has terrible handling, lol. I love the katana, but that handling...
IMO, the Katana is a jouster. With that high speed it can make nice passes on targets and gtfo for another pass. And with the Terran weapons, the bullet speed is actually high enough to hit things from decently far away so it tends to shred most things in a single pass. Less gun than a Dragon, Nemesis or Kurokami, but I always felt it was worth the trade off for Terran Bullet speed so you dont have to get in so close and risk getting pelted by multiple targets.
Depends on the gun really.
You can put those sweet sweet TER Pulse on commonwealth ships.
Not the Proton though if that's what you're referring to. But I prefer pulse for ease of use.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 16:45

paraskous wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 13:44
... not viable at the point in playthroughs.
That is very much OP case:
* Not many ships
* No high reputation
* Limited exploration
* No ace skills
Even if there might be credits, there is no Wharf to be found. If there were, there would not be reputation to grant a purchase.
And ... if a ship is acquired, combat, capturing, or boarding would still remain perilous.

Lets face it, almost anything is lethal weapon in skilled hands and even the mightiest ship is a helpless, sitting duck if you don't know how to handle it.

One can gain credits and reputation without combat.
One can explore the galaxy with any reputation. Granted, a fast ship makes it safer and quicker.
There are missions like Repair Satellite/Data Leak and Deliver Wares/Persons that do not require combat or high rep.

Explore. Trade. Take missions that you can do.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 23:30

FAF Dragon Raiders are almost comically easy to make bail, and that is in the starting ship... like a jaguar or kestral. The hardest part is finding them... it can be done pretty much immediately after you start a new game.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 16:28

I am thinking about trying to get the Katana but haven't found the area yet and not sure the rep needed, i might explore a little more and let my miners and trader to earn a little more as only have 7.5 million credits . i have a energy factory but haven't worked out how to set prices to sell energy so that doesn't help either ??

Found the sectors to buy a Katana but -15 rep so it’s no good for me , so not sure what to go for now ?

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:39

I can’t get the Katana or the Dragon because of my reputations aren’t good enough so what is the best I can get without big increases needed and then maybe can get either of them later when I have something I can survive the fighting in ?

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 00:06

Trevelvis wrote:
Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:39
I can’t get the Katana or the Dragon because of my reputations aren’t good enough so what is the best I can get without big increases needed and then maybe can get either of them later when I have something I can survive the fighting in ?
Actually you can get a Katana for free following the TER plot (no need to start as Terran, just get into good terms, +10, with them). As for the Dragon they bail out easily even with the starter ship if you are a bit careful and making them bail does not hurt your reputation with the ZYA (or FAF for the Dragon Raider).

Return to “X4: Foundations”