[Feedback] My honest opinion on X4 and why i'm quitting it

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oddible
x4

Re: [Feedback] My honest opinion on X4 and why i'm quitting it

Post by oddible » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 07:01

aurumgallente wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 09:11
also you didn't provide any sketches of better data design.
I once heard a talk given by a UX designer for the CIA say that the requirement of "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions" is bad management practice. Her example was that an astrophysicist discovered that a life ending comet was headed directly for earth. But since her boss required that all complaints also include a solution she didn't bring it to her. Ridiculous right? Always keep the door open to problems and critique even without a "better design".

However this thread is a bit of a beaten horse so also know when you've exhausted it and move on. Let's put it to rest.

ZodiacExplorer
x4

Post by ZodiacExplorer » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 23:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 14:39
The only thing that X3 is better is content amount - X3 has much more ships, sectors and missions.
However X3 was incrementally build across 20 years and several titles and literally like above hundred pathes.

Each and every X-series games is "work in progress" across several years after release and that is loved/hated in most of game reviewes on steam.
Even X-Rebirth became decent game comparing to it's 1.0 state.
Yes and no. In X4 we can mount different equipment on the ships which means that we do not need 4-5 variations of every fighter to find the one which is best suited for our needs.
What X3 had was a bigger variation of kinds of ships... at the end we had m5, m5+, m4, m4+, m3, m3+, m8, m6, m6+, m7, m7m, m2, m2+, m1, m0 and transport ships drone carriers, carrier which could build ships... and I probably missed some.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 7. Aug 21, 11:59

ZodiacExplorer wrote:
Thu, 5. Aug 21, 23:29
mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 14:39
The only thing that X3 is better is content amount - X3 has much more ships, sectors and missions.
However X3 was incrementally build across 20 years and several titles and literally like above hundred pathes.

Each and every X-series games is "work in progress" across several years after release and that is loved/hated in most of game reviewes on steam.
Even X-Rebirth became decent game comparing to it's 1.0 state.
Yes and no. In X4 we can mount different equipment on the ships which means that we do not need 4-5 variations of every fighter to find the one which is best suited for our needs.
What X3 had was a bigger variation of kinds of ships... at the end we had m5, m5+, m4, m4+, m3, m3+, m8, m6, m6+, m7, m7m, m2, m2+, m1, m0 and transport ships drone carriers, carrier which could build ships... and I probably missed some.
And most of those variations didn't really matter much either.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:05

None of these posts need to say "im quitting x4 and going to another game" or "why im quitting"... seriously... we don't need to know that you're not playing. It muddies your whole post/point...

Just post a simple list of stuff you don't like and/or do like... let your voice be heard, without all the other crap.

I skip reading every single one of these threads, including this one... i've no idea what you said, because I don't care that you're leaving. You might be making good points, but it's going to be in some jumble of shit i don't care to read through.

We don't all need to hear the diatribe...

Just stick to pro's/con's/suggestions....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:52

@ grapedog: There's absolutely no need to post the same thing in multiple threads. Further, please don't instruct others as to what they should or shouldn't be posting; you probably wouldn't like it much if it happened to you. There is no obligation to read (nor post in) threads that you do not agree with for whatever reasons. The moderators and other forum officials will step in where action is necessary because forum rules or standards of good taste have been infringed.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 9. Aug 21, 17:11

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:52
@ grapedog: There's absolutely no need to post the same thing in multiple threads. Further, please don't instruct others as to what they should or shouldn't be posting; you probably wouldn't like it much if it happened to you. There is no obligation to read (nor post in) threads that you do not agree with for whatever reasons. The moderators and other forum officials will step in where action is necessary because forum rules or standards of good taste have been infringed.
i'll just say that I understand what you typed, although I disagree with 3 of your 4 points.

Botschafter Von Den Glück
x4

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Mon, 9. Aug 21, 22:55

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:05
None of these posts need to say "im quitting x4 and going to another game" or "why im quitting"... seriously... we don't need to know that you're not playing. It muddies your whole post/point...

Just post a simple list of stuff you don't like and/or do like... let your voice be heard, without all the other crap.

I skip reading every single one of these threads, including this one... i've no idea what you said, because I don't care that you're leaving. You might be making good points, but it's going to be in some jumble of shit i don't care to read through.

We don't all need to hear the diatribe...

Just stick to pro's/con's/suggestions....
Hi, I find it important to mention to get the temperature of the water you swim in.

If somebody does not get the grab with the game, its not the point of somebody else to prohibit him to tell us.
one of the worst things I see commonly. because one step further you land at punishing people before even do the crime (to talk).
how "efficient" to keep to forum clear and readable...

---
I will not leave x4, I HAVE goals with the game, and x3 is too old now; and i have xrebirth to empire up still... I just leave those things for "less intense" times, and go to the developer who needs my audience, my testing, my feedback the most,
on situations where he needs a key advice, that general people would never get on to say.
Follow my post history in this forum and you find a tremendous adventure role play game in just reading my lecture...

I think its not wise, to exclude x right now, as its just getting developed alot.
rather than that, its a good thing to think about how we could get the game that we actually want to play in those x games up and running,
inclusive some self-invented adventures, for which a big game can deliver 'Vehicles'.

But one thing is for sure: PLAYING games, is not on the same layer like 'Developing/testing", playing in order to improve the developement, but just pure 'taking' the coffee.

usually we do not get it granted, because we already think in the moment of taking the gratis coffee about the next few ones, that we must cook ourselves agian.

so its not forever. Yes. Nobody can gift us forever free.
Thats the point of this thread. But we buy the gift. thats the hard business of Mr. Lehan and others and they are in hard situations all the developers,
because the 1 -> Many constellation are everywhere exploding.

In order to soften it, play and develop your own 1->1 constellation games, that are not running out of servise because of huge audience, and keep on focus.
My workshop is always running, and I never get the focus to get my own car finally, because of distraction FROM those industrious huge rexies.
We need more softening. not software that is not getting to the point.
Botschafter von den Glücksplaneten: Zu 100% Doktor. Die vertrauen mir!

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Thu, 5. May 22, 03:07

I have never understood people that write and complain like this. If they have so many issues with it, then make your own. You seem to think it is just that easy to do, so go do it. I DO know how hard it is to produce software. I had a dev company that did not just software but hardware for the Commodore Amiga. And I can tell you, writing code is just one smart part of the entire project. And it is not as simple as many seem to think. I went back in the military a few years later, selling my company. But I learned some very valuable lessons. Not all is as it seems. And nothing is easy when it comes to creating software or hardware for computer systems. Even the simplest utility can have bugs that break a system and that can be a real pain to figure out or change.

Don't get me wrong. I complain about things too. But I usually offer a legit solution or idea to what bothers me. I have written a few posts about helping the AI in a few ways in X4 from a military point of view. It's up to Egosoft to make the decision however or whether they even have the time.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 5. May 22, 13:25

.. and I have never understood why people would resurrect a 9 month dormant thread either. Locked.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”