Serious Attempt to get into X4 as a Totally Blind Player

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oasis1701
x4

Re: Serious Attempt to get into X4 as a Totally Blind Player

Post by oasis1701 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:13

Thank you kuertee
Speaking of missions, Another blind player -who doesn't have a forum account yet- Had a mission of patrolling mars. His mission needed him to fly past three satellites, the target mission however was the center of the system i believe.

I haven't found this sort of mission yet so i couldn't help him with that. told him to fly around and use the targetting system to look for satellites.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:41

i've not played the terran missions yet, so have not seen that mission.
i assume it's a generic mission - rather than a "plot" mission.
although unlikely (but not impossible) the mission may not set those satellites as mission targets - requiring you to find them via the long-range scanner instead.
if so, the nav mission will never find those satellites.

the nav mission only finds ships, stations, gates, asteroids and mission targets.

if those satellites are not set as mission targets even after reactivating the mission, then tell him to delay doing it.
99% of the missions do not have a time limit, so they can be left alone without any reprecussions.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 10:50

Will the nav computer show lockboxes and containers? in the points of interests tab, that is.
There's a mission that requires me to find a lockbox in a sector. the mission target is set to the middle of the system i think.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 13:28

I remember testing lockbox missions. And they do set the lock boxes as mission targets, and so will be listed in the nav comp.

I’ll retest again tonight and fix ad release a quick update if not.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 15:08

oasis1701 wrote:
i'm tagging both of you because i think i know what is happening with these "find missions".
ignore the quoted notifications above. it was the only way that i can find to tag you two in this message so that you get notified of it.

1. take a mission offer to fly to X (e.g. find lockbox, or fly to satellites, etc.)
2. the mission will activate. or activate a previous mission of the same type.

3. use Shift-a to autopilot to the mission area. (or ctrl-a, if shift-a doesn't work. i don't remember the keyboard shortcut.)
this will autopilot to the mission area THEN set your actual mission targets.

4. do not use the nav computer to autopilot to the sector because this will send you to the sector.
this is MY bug. its obvious now that i was using the method described in 3 in my tests.
i'm very sorry about sending you guys to a mission dead-end in unknown parts.
you can reactivate previous missions and autopilot to it without the use of the nav computer.

i'll fix this so that you CAN use the nav computer to do these missions in the next version.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 18:09

kuertee wrote:
Thu, 9. Sep 21, 16:35
thank you. i'll find a solution for that.

that's a plot mission. and they start the story missions of the game. i suggest to defer from taking them.

and ... as i suspected, some npc conversations require the player to be in the same room as the npc.
that's my main reason for teleporting the player around the station during conversations.
the problem is that some rooms that npcs occupy are simply impossible to be teleported to.
hence in the last iteration of that feature, i force the video comm instead of letting the player "fall through the bottom of the 3d world" when teleportation fails.

This can happen to any npc correct?
I salvaged a container and need to talk to an npc to deliver their lost items back to them, but i think the mod is trying to establish coms instead of teleporting so i can't give their items back to them.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 18:23

oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 18:09
This can happen to any npc correct?
I salvaged a container and need to talk to an npc to deliver their lost items back to them, but i think the mod is trying to establish coms instead of teleporting so i can't give their items back to them.
in this case, this should work - even over video comms.

video comms fail when a cutscene needs to play.
this should only happen during plot missions.

but for these generic delivery missions, no cutscene plays during the conversation.
so ... these types of missions should complete and the items be removed from you even during video comms.

if the mod CAN move you to the NPC, it will.
so it's worth just giving the conversation via the nav computer a go.
if it fails, just leave the mission incomplete for now.
you can leave missions with no time limits incomplete indefinitely.
there are very few timed missions.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:32

I do apologize for the many questions i have!
While i'm doing a mission, sometimes the mission is set to inactive by itself. I am not sure if it's because a key i press or a thing i do, but sometimes i check the nav computer and find out that the mission is not listed in the active missions anymore and i have to open it and set to active again.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:43

no worries. i don't mind.

the mission deactivating itself could be the mod - the nav computer.
if you set an autopilot target *that is not a mission target already*, it will be set as an active guidance mission - replacing the active mission.
this is normal behaviour in the game. if we right-click on a map to set a new autopilot target, our active mission deactivates.

i''ll find a better solution for this.
either not set a new guidance mission for your autopilot targets.
OR a command list for active missions of "activate mission" and "show mission briefing".

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 13:22

kuertee wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:43
no worries. i don't mind.

the mission deactivating itself could be the mod - the nav computer.
if you set an autopilot target *that is not a mission target already*, it will be set as an active guidance mission - replacing the active mission.
this is normal behaviour in the game. if we right-click on a map to set a new autopilot target, our active mission deactivates.

i''ll find a better solution for this.
either not set a new guidance mission for your autopilot targets.
OR a command list for active missions of "activate mission" and "show mission briefing".
Just another example to give you
There's a patrol mission that wants me to just fly around in a sector and find pirate ships and destroy them. I was trying to target different stations and just fly between them, but with each target selection i had to go back and set the mission to active again.

When i gave my AI pilot to attack the pirate ships the mission would still stay active, but ordering him to auto pilot to a ship or station would set it back to inactive as well.

Ordering the AI is pretty fun, they seem to be able to path better than the auto pilot. IT'll be very fun once the bug with them is fixed.
When they say that they found something and on the screen it says that they found a lockbox, what should i do at that point?

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 21:19

My adventures continue!
on data vaults:
I believe i found one. Using the mod, i can go inside the vault, and i can hear the signal, i also can see the repair panels using the mod, but i am unable to repair any of the panels. I think the signal is one of those plot missions, so i don't want to bother with those, but the vaults has some expensive items i wanted to loot and pull in with my ship.
Do you think it'll be possible we could repair the panels to loot the vaults? I saw no repair option when i went near the panels; i tried shooting my laser around to no success, though

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 08:36

oasis1701 wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 21:19
My adventures continue!
on data vaults:
I believe i found one. Using the mod, i can go inside the vault, and i can hear the signal, i also can see the repair panels using the mod, but i am unable to repair any of the panels. I think the signal is one of those plot missions, so i don't want to bother with those, but the vaults has some expensive items i wanted to loot and pull in with my ship.
Do you think it'll be possible we could repair the panels to loot the vaults? I saw no repair option when i went near the panels; i tried shooting my laser around to no success, though
i'll need to test this again, but i thought i added support for repairing repair panels.
try this when you're next in the game:
1. spacewalk to the repair panel.
2. if the repair panel is in the navigation computer (which I'm sure i added to the nav computer), click on it.
3. the repair command should be in the list.

i may need to restrict the signal leaks from data vaults because spacewalking to the signal leak allows you to skip the repair panels.
in the normal game, the signal leak is locked behind a closed panel which opens after all the repair panels are repaired.
there is a small reward of inventory items (e.g. like those you find in lockboxes) when the data vault is opened, but their actual reward is the history revealed from the signal leak.
each data vault reveals a story in the X4 universe's timeline - which can be viewed in the encyclopedia screen.

i'm back on this mod this week.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 11:46

I think the reason the the "repair" option will not appear is because i am not close enough to the panels?
When i spacewalk to the panels, i see that it puts me within 100m of them, but when i spacewalk to the signal source, it puts me in the vault, and i see that i am within 13-30m distance of the panels.

The other signal leaks by the way, like the ones around stations, i can repair them fine. I just have to be careful not to scan the signals first because then they will disappear
edit: I'll attach a save file after the update is done
edit2: save file, directly in front of a data vault, in case it saves your time https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv4nchxe5g50e ... ml.gz?dl=0

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 12:44

oasis1701 wrote:
Sat, 4. Sep 21, 13:53
I think i may have found a bug with the mod. It won't auto pilot to unknown jump gates (or highways?) I can't tell because they are unknown.
What's also interesting is that if i target the unknown object and then press shift+a, my ship will very very slowly move towards it, without engaging travel mode.
video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcbqsn6dbvq6j ... 3.mp4?dl=0

second video, trying it in a different system: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njd8rqhb90mfu ... 0.mp4?dl=0
I think the game doesn't like when we want to auto pilot to unknown jumpgate/highways?
edit: both nav computer AP and in game AP works with known jump gates, known objects, and unknown stations.
However it's the unknown sectors/jumpgates that's having this problem

updating this after 4.1 update
The ship auto pilot will now properly fly to unknown gates and highways however; the nav computer auto pilot will not. when i select an unknown object and click on auto pilot/enter unknown object, the AP will engage and then disengage quickly.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 19:14

with 4.1 dropping yesterday, i've become a little bit more busy. :D

i'm looking at these bugs and hopefully release an update.
1. autopilot issues: i.e. unresponsive and deactivating the active mission.
2. repair panels.
3. npc hires
4. move to npc to converse

if i don't find a quick fix for 3 and/or 4, i'll release an update for 1 and 2.

also, UI Extensions (https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/552), this mod's prerequisite required a compatibility update for 4.1 version of the game.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 21:33

I've updated the Accessibility Features mod:

Updates:
v4.1.0, 18 Sep 2021:
- Recommendation: I recommend that my Loot Mining mod and my Surface Element Targeting mod are disabled for now because I found that they were the causes, along with Accessibility Features, of the active mission getting deactivated when using the Navigation Computer. I'll release a fix for them in a few days.
- Recommendation: Get the new version of Accept Mission For Later mod if you have that installed: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/590.
- Bug-fix: Autopilot doesn't deactivate active mission.
- Bug-fix: Conversing with ANY NPC at stations will move you to them - allowing any cutscenes that need to play to continue. I.e. You shouldn't get any video comms when conversing with NPCs at stations.
- Bug-fix: The AI doesn't take the controls when you ask them to.
- Bug-fix: Expired missions offers are not listed.
- New feature: Command panel for ongoing missions: Activate, Show Briefing.
- New feature: Data vaults are listed as stations. Undiscovered data vaults are listed as unknown objects.
- New feature: Signal leaks of data vaults are not listed until all repair panels are fixed.
- New feature: Reward containers, if any, in data vaults are not listed until all repair panels are fixed.
- New feature: Spacewalk to containers to collect them.
- Tweak: Missions in undiscovered sectors: The next undiscovered sector to your destination is always a mission target. Note that the autopilot disengages on entering a newly discovered sector requiring you to target the next undiscovered sector and autopilot to it. You might be on a superhighway. Stop your engines (default key backspace) to take your ship off it.
- Bug-fix: Sometimes the active mission wasn't getting listed as the active mission.
- Tweak: Do not double-up the NPC's title with their role/job.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 21:50

Wow kuertee you're a magician! looks like you've spend lots of time to fix all those issues. I'll be playing this game for many hours because of this mod.
I didn't understand the Missions in undiscovered sectors part, but once i install the mod and play i'm sure i'll figure it out,
Thank you so much

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Sat, 18. Sep 21, 16:01

kuertee wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 21:33
I've updated the Accessibility Features mod:

Updates:
v4.1.0, 18 Sep 2021:
- Recommendation: I recommend that my Loot Mining mod and my Surface Element Targeting mod are disabled for now because I found that they were the causes, along with Accessibility Features, of the active mission getting deactivated when using the Navigation Computer. I'll release a fix for them in a few days.
- Recommendation: Get the new version of Accept Mission For Later mod if you have that installed: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/590.
- Bug-fix: Autopilot doesn't deactivate active mission.
- Bug-fix: Conversing with ANY NPC at stations will move you to them - allowing any cutscenes that need to play to continue. I.e. You shouldn't get any video comms when conversing with NPCs at stations.
- Bug-fix: The AI doesn't take the controls when you ask them to.
- Bug-fix: Expired missions offers are not listed.
- New feature: Command panel for ongoing missions: Activate, Show Briefing.
- New feature: Data vaults are listed as stations. Undiscovered data vaults are listed as unknown objects.
- New feature: Signal leaks of data vaults are not listed until all repair panels are fixed.
- New feature: Reward containers, if any, in data vaults are not listed until all repair panels are fixed.
- New feature: Spacewalk to containers to collect them.
- Tweak: Missions in undiscovered sectors: The next undiscovered sector to your destination is always a mission target. Note that the autopilot disengages on entering a newly discovered sector requiring you to target the next undiscovered sector and autopilot to it. You might be on a superhighway. Stop your engines (default key backspace) to take your ship off it.
- Bug-fix: Sometimes the active mission wasn't getting listed as the active mission.
- Tweak: Do not double-up the NPC's title with their role/job.

Hi there
I seem to have many issues with the mod now, i have updated the ui extension mod, accept mission for later and the accessibility mod. here are the issues
1. The mod hiring UI will not come up anymore once you click on hire to hire an npc, or if you click on "work somewhere else for me"
2. I still have the old issue of the captain not coming to take the controls. when i click on "let X take the controls" They will not walk to the controls. If i open the mod and look at points of interests or objects in space, it says invalid actions. perhaps because there's noone at the captain's seat? i am not sure.
3. unable to talk to some npcs. perhaps those are that are in tricky positions in the station? once i click on talk nothing happens.
4. Once i set a guidance marker, my mission goes inactive. I think with most of missions it's not needed to set guidance markers, but i was doing a "destroy mass traffic mission" and i had to chase and destroy enemy civilian ships. as soon as i set my guidance marker on them, my mission would go inactive.

on the good side, i repaired and looted a data vault perfectly, and auto piloting to unknown gates and highways seem to work perfectly now

edit: I have a question regarding issue 4. can i actually progress ongoing missions? As in, if a mission is ongoing, does it mean that pirates and mass traffic will spawn and i can destroy them to progress the missions? if so then i think that won't be a problem

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Sat, 18. Sep 21, 19:32

Hey,

Just writing to chime in to say that my experiences are similar to Oasis1701. To be more specific, when I hire someone the default hiring UI comes up, rather than the mod's version. Also, AI pilots continue to behave as they did in the earlier version, that is, get stuck somewhere in the middle and refuse to take control of the ship on command.

Hope whatever happened here has a simple fix. Thanks for your continued work on this.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sat, 18. Sep 21, 22:41

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
And sorry for breaking the hire/work elsewhere functions.
I've fixed them already.

I had hoped that resetting the ai pilot's state (which I didn't do in the older version) before sending the command for him to retake his post would work.
Obviously, it didn't.
But I still wasn't experiencing what you guys described.
Anyway, I have another possible solution. But I'm unsure of it yet.

I'll release another version later today.

4.1 base dropping last week wasn't really a good time. It added another bowling pin that's in the air. Hahaha!

Return to “X4: Foundations”