Tips on Sieging a Xenon starbase

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oddible
x4

Re: Tips on Sieging a Xenon starbase

Post by oddible » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 03:43

Create a fleet of Odysseys with L Plasma turrets (you only need 1 but a fleet is faster). I choose Ody's because they have the most turrets. Hop in one yourself, poke out all the Gravitons manually at range. When they're dead, hop out, go on about your business, let the fleet kill the station.

Or

Create a fleet of Ody's with L Plasma turrets. Out of sector position / park them all at 9km from the base. Ignore it, come back in 10 min to clear out any remaining station parts. Just let the L Plasmas do the job (since you're not giving an attack order they won't use main guns but if turrets are set to Attack All you're golden).

Done.

Or, if you wanna have fun with it, build a carrier and play with different fighers to attack turrets first - you'll lose a LOT but it is more realistic and fun.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 04:12

or just bomb the L turrets with torpedo manually before sending in capital ships

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 13:39

oddible wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 03:43
Or, if you wanna have fun with it, build a carrier and play with different fighers to attack turrets first - you'll lose a LOT but it is more realistic and fun.
My personal favourite. Fighter swarm to focus turrets while the fleet pushes in. Gotta get over the feeling of losing assets, we're at war gentlemen!

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:05

Lord Dakier wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 13:39
oddible wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 03:43
My personal favourite. Fighter swarm to focus turrets while the fleet pushes in. Gotta get over the feeling of losing assets, we're at war gentlemen!
In the last betas explosions are active, module explosions will wipe your swarms that are closer than 4 Km. Also your destroyers will lost their shields and surface elements if they are too close, the closer they are greater the damage the they receive.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:24

Erqco wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:05
In the last betas explosions are active, module explosions will wipe your swarms that are closer than 4 Km. Also your destroyers will lost their shields and surface elements if they are too close, the closer they are greater the damage the they receive.
This should have been nerfed a lot in more recent betas.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 16:10

It got nerfed but I think it also got changed so it does a lot more damage when you're close to whatever is exploding.

P.S. Trade ship captains of large ships also have a terrible time, too. If you fly one yourself, you'll leave AI-controlled ships in the dust.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 22:52

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:24
Erqco wrote:
You are right, the closer the worse anyway, it lost energy with the distance faster than previous versions, but still there and there is not time to get your fighters out. I changed my way to do this because the explosions, it is possible that now I can get back to the fighters/Bombers.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 01:33

Erqco wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 22:52
Imperial Good wrote:
Erqco wrote:
You are right, the closer the worse anyway, it lost energy with the distance faster than previous versions, but still there and there is not time to get your fighters out. I changed my way to do this because the explosions, it is possible that now I can get back to the fighters/Bombers.
Is it not viable to swarm a station with fighters anymore? in 4.1 beta?

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 07:47

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 01:33
Erqco wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 22:52
Imperial Good wrote:

I have stop doing it. But I thing that the explosions now are less damaging that one or two previous beta versions. When you got the message "Explosion imminent" it was too late to do something, now in the last beta version the worst that I have saw is the shields wipe out.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 08:45

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 01:33
It never was in case of Xenon stations - there is huge amount of medium turrets that wipe many fighters both IS and OOS.

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 07:16

Nice to see different tactics !

I personally had issues with most of them, except the Asgard witch is really powerful when flown by the player.
It takes a while to destroy an entire station but is pretty safe, even without destroying L turrets (just stay out of range).

My biggest issue is, indeed, ordering a fleet if L/XL ship to attack a station without suffering heavy losses.
A lot of my 4/5 stars captains still eventually decide to get closer to the station and get shot down.
I usually monitor the battle using external view of the Xenon station (select station and press F3) and look for any of my ship getting too close, I would then usually order a "Fly To" order a bit away from the station and then move the order before the "attack" one so that the ship automatically goes back to attacking the station after reaching waypoint and recharging shields.

This does not always work for the following reasons:
- Ship is already too close to the station. Turning around and getting out of range is usually fatal. Sometimes the ship even get his thrusters shot when getting away from station and becomes a sitting duck.
- Ship will engage the flee mechanic and ignore your orders, potentially flying even closer to danger. I believe this can be mitigated by setting the ship to ignore attack but this might have some adverse effects that I have to test.
- Ships will collide or slowdown/block each others, usually rare but quite annoying when you have supposedly the best captains possible.

I also tested torpedo bombers using Nemesis (M size) and outfitting them with 5 torpedo launchers.
Be it 1 or 5 stars captains, they will eventually get in range of station turrets and shot down. The defense drones are also a big threat to them.
I had some occurrence where they shot friendly ships because they fired they torpedoes too close to them.

I also tried using subordinates fighters but they tend to get isolated (and easily shot by drone swarms) or either go too far from the enemy fighters or too close to station defenses.
I am still experimenting with orders to keep them together and out of station defenses but haven't found a good technique yet.

I wonder if anyone experimented with fleets of exactly same ship ?
My fleet are "diverse" especially with equipment mods and my captains are quite erratic so i was wondering if that could be my issue (fleet leader can't manage well the different specs ?)

Overall I like that there is still a challenge to destroy stations but I wish captains weren't so suicidal. This is sometimes very frustrating when you can't keep up with them trying to get close to stations.
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 15:17

Xenon L turrets have low range so sniping with par L plasma and destroyer main guns is the safest way. I use a syn with 8 L plasma and slasher mods, with a second destroyer on follow for drone defense. A single syn setup this way can kill a xenon defense station in about 10-15 minutes. It is possible to destroy the station's dock from outside drone launch range if you don't want to use a flak support ship, but I prefer to kill the swarm for fight rank. I finished a heart for pirates with only three ships, a syn with one snake and one oddy on follow.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 16:16

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 15:17
I use a syn with 8 L plasma ... A single syn setup this way can kill a xenon defense station in about 10-15 minutes.
A trending thread speculates that "L-turrets are broken in 4.10". Your Xenon surely do not agree?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 21:20

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 16:16
Karmaticdamage wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 15:17
I use a syn with 8 L plasma ... A single syn setup this way can kill a xenon defense station in about 10-15 minutes.
A trending thread speculates that "L-turrets are broken in 4.10". Your Xenon surely do not agree?
L turrets are broken in OOS, not IS.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 05:01

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 21:20
Actually it is kind of the opposite. In OoS they work as intended from what I can tell, often being destroyed when under heavy fire. In sector they will sometimes lock onto fighters but be unable to fire until you get out and back into the flight seat.

You might not notice this in sector issue if you use L Plasma as those are usually set to capital only as they are practically incapable of hitting S/M ships. However it is a big issue with TER L Bolt Turrets since those work against all targets and having them switch from capitals to fighters is useful during combat.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 15:38

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 1. Oct 21, 05:01
Karmaticdamage wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 21:20
Actually it is kind of the opposite. In OoS they work as intended from what I can tell, often being destroyed when under heavy fire. In sector they will sometimes lock onto fighters but be unable to fire until you get out and back into the flight seat.

You might not notice this in sector issue if you use L Plasma as those are usually set to capital only as they are practically incapable of hitting S/M ships. However it is a big issue with TER L Bolt Turrets since those work against all targets and having them switch from capitals to fighters is useful during combat.
You don't need to hit small ships with L turrets when you have flak. Argon M flak with slasher mod is the best fighter killing turret in the game. Personally I find all L turrets to be lack luster when it comes to dealing with small ships, but if I had to choose one, it would be argon L pulse because of its better rotation speed. The syn is made to siege, their are better options if you are wanting a more versatile destroyer.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 16:10

30 Katanas with 2x Proton Barrage, 2x Torpedo Launcher, 2x Plasma turret and 48x torpedo inside each ship:

Goodbye Xenon :lol:

PS: In Sector.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 17:43

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Fri, 1. Oct 21, 15:38
You don't need to hit small ships with L turrets when you have flak.
TER L turrets can. Maybe not needed but still it works.
Karmaticdamage wrote:
Argon M flak with slasher mod is the best fighter killing turret in the game.
Except to TER L Beam, and TER L Chain. Higher damage, longer range.
Karmaticdamage wrote:
it would be argon L pulse because of its better rotation speed
Rotation speed has little to do with landing hits in practice. All higher rotation speed does is slightly lower the minimum distance that a target can be tracked, which is already pretty low. All L turrets have no problem tracking the average target at 1+km distance, which is where S and M ships try to operate with their evasive moves.

With a rotation rate of 15 degrees per second (standard for most L turrets) over a distance of 2km the result is a tracking speed of 520m/s. No NPC combat S ship flies this fast and the only M that is close to it is the Katana. If a ship flies at 250 m/s the L turrets will track them within 1 km distance. When they are under 1km they are usually executing a strafing run, in which case their effective angular speed is close to 0 from the turret's perspective.
Karmaticdamage wrote:
The syn is made to siege, their are better options if you are wanting a more versatile destroyer.
It can to it all. With mods installed onto the chassis and engines you can even dog fight S and M Xenon ships in it. OoS it just melts fighters anyway due to the main batteries. I do agree that in sector the Osaka might be a better anti-fighter platform due to its good turret coverage and lower cost.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 19:41

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 1. Oct 21, 17:43
Karmaticdamage wrote:
You don't need to hit small ships with L turrets when you have flak.
TER L turrets can. Maybe not needed but still it works.
Karmaticdamage wrote:
Argon M flak with slasher mod is the best fighter killing turret in the game.
Except to TER L Beam, and TER L Chain. Higher damage, longer range.
No way, slasher flak two volleys enemy fighters, a destroyer fit with them can erase a fighter cloud in seconds, beams are the lowest dps weapons in the game. I actually have tried TER L beams with mods and found them unable to kill fighters quickly. You should try slasher flak before claiming its dps to be low, report back with how it goes.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 23:22

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Fri, 1. Oct 21, 19:41
No way, slasher flak two volleys enemy fighters, a destroyer fit with them can erase a fighter cloud in seconds, beams are the lowest dps weapons in the game. I actually have tried TER L beams with mods and found them unable to kill fighters quickly. You should try slasher flak before claiming its dps to be low, report back with how it goes.
Tried to not rely on it given that there clearly was unintended behaviour at work. Explosive projectiles like Blast Mortar and Flak dealt 2x the damage they should as both the splash and impact would hit the same target.

It clearly is unintended as it means that S Plasma Cannon is useless as Blast Mortar is statistically better than it in any way that matters. It also gave M Flak turrets a lot more damage than other M turrets.

TER L beams I think out damage a lot of M turrets. Hence are viable for anti-fighter. I am playing with TER only loadout and my Syn and Asguard have no issue shooting S ships in high attention. Both have mostly L turrets. Only issue they do have is the L turrets refusing to shoot bug.

Return to “X4: Foundations”