Any plans to have as starter games a smaller universe?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Any plans to have as starter games a smaller universe?

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 10:56

Hi.

With the load of the sim etc being a bit too much for modern comps regardless of spec, mainly on stations for some reason but when in a ship flying about its fine fps wise. But still. Would it be possible for ego to have a game start or use the custom game start system a way to use fewer systems but more populated as personally i dont see the need for all them systems when i just really fly to core systems and thats it. About 2-3 per race would do enough for me. Max of say 15 or less.

In hopes of having a simpler time of the sim, boost fps, less need to travel all over when i dont have or want to.

Sectors are huge so could have more stations in so could move barely used systems into larger ones to cut down the size of sectors.

So in custom starts could we have the option of S M or L universe.

Heck make a map maker ingame to have the economy work just say the game says you have a list of stations u need x amount of this and that, so let players make a universe, you say we need 4 of these stations for this race ok we will place em using a cost based system or not, whatever works for ego. And we will fill the universe with required stations but let us put em in smaller universe. Placing highways shouldnt be that hard, just use a map editor where you pick enter and exit points and the system draws the line to make the highway.

Would that be possible ego?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Flippi
x3tc

Re: Any plans to have as starter games a smaller universe?

Post by Flippi » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 12:38

I personally would like to see a larger universe. But then again, that's just me. With a new computer, I don't suffer from performance issues that much currently. Although that might change in the future.

If we still had the tools like in X3 and earlier, your suggestion could be modded with some relative ease. Mapping Sectors was something I really enjoyed doing there. But with the current engine and its tools? No idea. But I absolutely agree that a map maker tool would be a good addition. Although I think Egosoft uses some third party software they can't release, so maybe that's why we haven't seen anything like that yet.

But while we are at it. If there is one thing X4 really needs, it's actually unknown Sectors. We don't have those in X4. Yes, we have 'unknown' ones. But those are defacto pirate systems, as they are named, have pirate stations and even highways or TOB's. I'm speaking of Systems with nothing of that. Unnamed, untouched, no planetary colonies yet, no pirate stations or anything like that. Just big scary unknown space for players to settle in.

Older X games had those and they invoked the feeling of being lost in deep space. At the fringes of the known universe. X4 feels rather cramped and busy in comparison. If anyone of you ever goes back to playing X3, just go to the Unknown Sector near Getsu Fune. That one should give you an idea on what I mean.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 16:19

I always thought unknown sectors were kinda weird, actually. There are people working and living their lives one gate over, and nobody has bothered to take an hour to explore the "unknown" sector?

To the topic: you can cut down the universe size pretty dramatically by turning off the two DLCs. Have you tried that, just to see what it does to your performance?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 16:52

Rather play the dlc map sectors than original and i want the ships and stations as there nicer. :D If i can remove stock stuff and play just dlc stuff, that be nice. :D
[ external image ]

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 20:17

I always thought unknown sectors were kinda weird, actually. There are people working and living their lives one gate over, and nobody has bothered to take an hour to explore the "unknown" sector?
They actually made sense in the older games. Because gates weren't found immediately when someone took over a new system (people didin't even know where in the galaxy they actually were!). Quite a few jump gates were even well hidden until someone ( like the player) did a deep space exploration. Also, gates to unknown Sectors were most often found in fringe regions and sparsely populated systems. So the chance for someone stumbling upon them was quite low.
Rather play the dlc map sectors than original and i want the ships and stations as there nicer. :D If i can remove stock stuff and play just dlc stuff, that be nice.
That sounds kinda neat. The Terran Economy is simpler after all, and they do have a nice gate loop going. For the Split, it would be a bit harder I imagine. Their sectors are more spread out.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 23:02

Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 10:56
Hi.

With the load of the sim etc being a bit too much for modern comps regardless of spec, mainly on stations for some reason but when in a ship flying about its fine fps wise. But still. Would it be possible for ego to have a game start or use the custom game start system a way to use fewer systems but more populated as personally i dont see the need for all them systems when i just really fly to core systems and thats it. About 2-3 per race would do enough for me. Max of say 15 or less.

In hopes of having a simpler time of the sim, boost fps, less need to travel all over when i dont have or want to.

Sectors are huge so could have more stations in so could move barely used systems into larger ones to cut down the size of sectors.

So in custom starts could we have the option of S M or L universe.

Heck make a map maker ingame to have the economy work just say the game says you have a list of stations u need x amount of this and that, so let players make a universe, you say we need 4 of these stations for this race ok we will place em using a cost based system or not, whatever works for ego. And we will fill the universe with required stations but let us put em in smaller universe. Placing highways shouldnt be that hard, just use a map editor where you pick enter and exit points and the system draws the line to make the highway.

Would that be possible ego?
Just set up shop in a corner of the map. For Teladi SE corner are Hewa Twin, for Argon at the ANT systems, Split at their corresponding sectors.
With the custom start you can have the tech also so no need to PHQ.

Personally I want bigger map not smaller :lol:

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 07:43

A custom map maker might be interesting to have in the future, but I am doubtful the map size is the source of your issue if this is a thing you encounter specifically on stations.
***modified***

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 08:21

Well its everyone that has the issue not just me. People with the latest tech are getting bad fps on certain stations usually with heavy traffic like loads of ships buzzen around. Its the randomness of the fps of say one min its 50fps then look slightly diff direction then its 40 or 35. We all get it. Dunno why cos when ur in space fps generally ok even tho sim is still doin its thing but when you go near or land on stations we get a fps drop.

The blame usually is cos of the sim. I just want to test a smaller universe that has less to calculate and see if the random fps at stations still happens.
[ external image ]

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 10:47

Your problem seems to be related to the number of objects near you. Cramming the same number of stations/ships into a smaller universe will make things much worse.

ChristopherS

Post by ChristopherS » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 21:01

Skeeter wrote:
Sun, 1. Aug 21, 08:21
Well its everyone that has the issue not just me. People with the latest tech are getting bad fps on certain stations usually with heavy traffic like loads of ships buzzen around. Its the randomness of the fps of say one min its 50fps then look slightly diff direction then its 40 or 35. We all get it. Dunno why cos when ur in space fps generally ok even tho sim is still doin its thing but when you go near or land on stations we get a fps drop.

The blame usually is cos of the sim. I just want to test a smaller universe that has less to calculate and see if the random fps at stations still happens.
I think a lot of it could also be that people don't always fully understand (I'm not saying anyone here) the options available to toggle in settings. I'm fortunate that I've got an okay PC, but even still I cannot play maxed out without issues of stuttering and low fps. To counter this, I made sure to lower the options that effect performance the most, until this was no issue again. To further add, I've also got a Frankenstein station, which builds literally everything. For context on it's size, It's worth more than 1BN, so that shows how many modules it has. But, back to the point. When I've lowered the settings, even docking here has no issue anymore. I'd suggest changing graphic options before modding the universe.

(PC Specs to help clarify the point)
CPU - Ryzen 7 3800x
RAM - 32GB 3200 (4x8GB)
GPU - RTX 3080
Games location - Gen4 NVMe SSD
Monitor - 34" 3440x1440
Thought provoking signature.

Christopher - Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes grumpy, always pedantic.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:28

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 16:19
You don't see mass traffic going through gates though, or on highways... in earth equivalents, the only people I see using the gates and highways are Military, and Long Haul big rigs....

Trying to take your honda civic on a highway, or through a gate, probably gonna be a bad day.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 01:36

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 9. Aug 21, 16:28
Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 16:19
You don't see mass traffic going through gates though, or on highways... in earth equivalents, the only people I see using the gates and highways are Military, and Long Haul big rigs....

Trying to take your honda civic on a highway, or through a gate, probably gonna be a bad day.
There is an achievement for doing it in a space suit!

Return to “X4: Foundations”