How to make ship mods in 4.10?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlueThing00
x4

How to make ship mods in 4.10?

Post by BlueThing00 » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 14:56

I started a new game a couple of weeks ago (and love the budgeted custom game start for doing so).

I cannot figure out how to mod ships in 4.10. Ventures are disabled ("temporarily" for 6 months?), which is where I got many of my mod parts previously.

Also, when I select "redesign" on a ship in a Wharf or Equipment Dock, the only option that is not greyed out is "Paint Modifications" despite starting the game with the PHQ and full pre-4.0 research completed.

Am I missing something? Or have ship mods been "temporarily" removed from the game like ventures?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: How to make ship mods in 4.10?

Post by CBJ » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 15:02

They have not been removed from the game, and most parts are available from other sources.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 15:52

My notes (personal copypasta) for ship modifications.

For reference (WARNING: Spoilers for what mods exist): X4 Quantum/modifications

There are two types of parts for tuning mods:
  1. Primary parts: Each mod needs one of these and they drop infrequently. These parts determine the quality level (basic[green]/enhanced[blue]/exceptional[purple]) of the mod being installed. Ship Nanoweave, Weapon Chamber, Shield Generator Coil, & Engine Fuel Injector are the four different types of primary parts.
  2. Secondary parts: A modification may use 1 or more of these parts and they drop frequently.
Game Mechanics & Tips:
  1. If you have teleportation researched loot fleets collecting from the active battles will net hundreds if not thousands of tuning parts in a day or so. To find active battles review the activity log for entries about a faction putting up a defense in xx sector. Send a ship or two there and set a repeat orders command to collect the drops. Keep a eye on these loot collectors if the warzone is against Xenon or a faction you are red to. See subnote *.
  2. Only one mod can be installed for each ship component.
  3. Installing a mod locks that component. The mod must be removed to change to a different component.
  4. The "chassis" is the main ship "component" and can have one mod installed that affects things like drag, ship mass, hull points, radar range, etc..
  5. Each weapon can have it's own mod. If you have a ship with 3 forward facing weapons and 4 turrets that ship can use up to 7 weapon mods.
  6. Each shield can have it's own mod. On L and XL ships each surface shield generator can have a mod installed.
  7. Even though most ships have more than one engine they are collectively considered a single component and only use 1 mod (thankfully).
  8. Dismantling a mod returns one of each of the parts. Dismantling a mod that uses 1 Advanced Weapon Chamber, 3 High Energy Catalyst, and 1 Tuning Software will return 1 Advanced Weapon Chamber, 1 High Energy Catalyst, and 1 Tuning Software.
  9. Shield mods only use 1 of each part. This means they can be reassembled and dismantled with no loss. Keep reassembling until you get values your happy with.
  10. The Slasher negative cooling effect does not affect turrets. They have good synergy.
  11. Digger is awesome on large mining ships with large mining turrets. Don't overlook this boost to mining efficiency.
  12. You don't pay mod installation fees in your own shipyard.
  13. The only mods I have seen that stack are chassis mods that affect ship mass/drag and engine mods. Polisher combined with Nudger or Pusher will give a nice speed boost to most ships and make the fastest ships hit plaid speed.
  14. Finally, do not hoard mods. Use them! The secondary components are so abundant that loosing some when moving mods is trivial. The only time I hesitate to move a mod from ship-to-ship is if I got lucky and it has near perfect stats.

*If a ship reports it is being scanned quickly teleport to it and talk to the pilot. Select options more->hand me your inventory. Be aware you'll most likely pickup wares that are illegal (but also very valuable). If you are flying around with illegal inventory and police scan your ship simply get up from the pilot seat and let an NPC take over.
Last edited by Eyeklops on Fri, 8. Oct 21, 09:23, edited 3 times in total.

BlueThing00
x4

Post by BlueThing00 » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 16:04

Eyeklops wrote:
Thu, 7. Oct 21, 15:52
My notes for ships modifications.

1. Primary parts: Each mod needs one of these and they drop infrequently. These parts determine the quality level (basic[green]/enhanced[blue]/exceptional[purple]) of the mod being installed. Ship Nanoweave, Weapon Chamber, Shield Generator Coil, & Engine Fuel Injector are the four different types of primary parts.
  2. Secondary parts: A modification may use 1 or more of these parts and they drop frequently.
I am completely missing something in the UI, then.

I took a look at the list of modifications on the Quantum Anomaly site, and I have the parts for many of them. When I select "redesign" after right clicking on my ship (which is docked in a Wharf) from the map, all mod options except "Paint Modifications" are greyed out and cannot be selected.

I tried going in person to the Wharf and selecting "redesign" from the console in front of my ship, and I get the same result.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 16:08

BlueThing00 wrote:
Thu, 7. Oct 21, 16:04
Eyeklops wrote:
Thu, 7. Oct 21, 15:52
My notes for ships modifications.

I am completely missing something in the UI, then.

I took a look at the list of modifications on the Quantum Anomaly site, and I have the parts for many of them. When I select "redesign" after right clicking on my ship (which is docked in a Wharf) from the map, all mod options except "Paint Modifications" are greyed out and cannot be selected.

I tried going in person to the Wharf and selecting "redesign" from the console in front of my ship, and I get the same result.
Mods can only be installed via the workbench located in the ship dealership.

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Thu, 7. Oct 21, 22:33

You also have to research to enable the mod type in PHQ.
bloop

BlueThing00
x4

Post by BlueThing00 » Fri, 8. Oct 21, 06:30

Eyeklops wrote:
Thu, 7. Oct 21, 16:08
Mods can only be installed via the workbench located in the ship dealership.
This looks like it was what I was missing. Thanks!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 8. Oct 21, 18:53

BlueThing00 wrote:
Thu, 7. Oct 21, 14:56
I cannot figure out how to mod ships in 4.10. Ventures are disabled ("temporarily" for 6 months?), which is where I got many of my mod parts previously.

Basic and enhanced mod parts are fairly easy to find. They tend to drop from destroyed ships fairly easily.
Exceptional mod parts are much much harder to come by without venture, though. The best way to find these right now is through missions. Subscribe to any faction trade guild or war effort you can, so you always have the maximum number of mission offer. Try to complete any mission that offer exceptional parts.
The secondary parts are usually pretty common as random loot. Just stick to a xenon gate, or to any gate where conflict is bound to happen (such as the Second contact/true sight gate) and follow the fleets that comes in enemy territory. Have a few scouts help you collecting the loot boxes. You'll be swimming in nividium oxide in no time.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 8. Oct 21, 23:38

Exceptional mod parts are occasionally available from mission chains from guilds. Join all guilds and look for such chains. TEL and ANT trade guilds give away at least one kind of exceptional part for scouting resources and mining ores. You can teleport between areas to look through guild mission offers for any with parts, they are quite rare but not improbably so.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 11:06

Guy's, am i too understand you HAVE to own a HQ to conduct ship mods?

As this is pretty lame for a player who's story does not entail them owning a bloody great complex HQ base!!

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:09

Poacher886 wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 11:06

As this is pretty lame for a player who's story does not entail them owning a bloody great complex HQ base!!
Well... you do have to have the HQ and research the ship modifications so you, supposedly, know they exist and what they do. Makes some sense... and you don't need too much in HQ Equipment to research them. A simple S Container (usually included in the starter package), a dock (of course) and an S Solid Container (for the Purple Chasis mod).

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 00:02

Poacher886 wrote:

Indeed.

But, is there anything that modded ships can do that stock could not (given a bit more time)?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 01:54

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 10. Oct 21, 00:02
Poacher886 wrote:

Indeed.

But, is there anything that modded ships can do that stock could not (given a bit more time)?
Speed up from 290 m/s to 350 m/s for example. Extremely crucial when ships exit travel drive some 40+ km before their intended stop/dock. Should I go on?

Return to “X4: Foundations”