A Big thank you for "Litigious Rodent"

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sirus5
x4

A Big thank you for "Litigious Rodent"

Post by Sirus5 » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 11:29

Everyone has their own style -
You can see this in shooter games, some like to get up close
with the biggest sword and shield and mash the kill button to death.
Others like to take a sniper rifle, hide in the bushes with a 14 million
power telescopic sight at a distance of 4.38 light years and attempt the
unheard of one-shot from a phenomenal distance.

In having a "Hide in plain sight" option for a while I applaud this little rodent
who's IFF allows me to travel undetected in enemy territory. - Of course now
I am in a quandry - I wanted to get the plot line done and make friends with
the Yaki so I could get blueprints - but a Kuraokami surprised me by attacking
my Nodan and then the silly thing bailed - so I have one of those and of course
the Geometric Owl...

I don't want to give up my Rodent with it's IFF which allows me to peek all over
Xenon space I am having too much fun.
Can we petition for more stealth tech like this - obviously there will have to be
limitations - maybe they will need recharging after a time, maybe they will only
work in certain areas, but this is awesome

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: A Big thank you for "Litigious Rodent"

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 14:19

My GUESS is it will be included in the rumored upcoming pirate expansion with pirate type gameplay/starts.
Credence follow stars.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 14:35

I actually hate the IFF, because it prevents you from giving orders to your property while disguised.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 15:07

KextV8 wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 14:35
I actually hate the IFF, because it prevents you from giving orders to your property while disguised.
:o - Thats an easy fix - you simply get into your spacesuit and exit the ship for a few seconds -
IFF no longer is there and you can do anything...
Alternatively - just boost out and go into travel drive until you are clear of all enemies radar...
IFF -OFF....

So - it shouldn't be a problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 15:45

You may be interested to know that a similar IFF falsification scenario and gameplay is used against the Zyarth in a specific part of the Split plot.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 16:12

Thanks Alan -
I remember doing the split plot in my last playthrough

I still don't want to lose my Rodent's secret ability to just become
friends with the Yaki - it's so cool to swan around Xenon space

:mrgreen:

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 16:58

There is another great thing you can do with the Rodent :
As long as Xenon are nearby, and thus your IFF is set to Yaki, you can attack anything in sight (except Xenon/Yaki) and you won't get any reputation losses.

For example you can shoot down PAR ships attacking a Xenon station. The PAR ships will keep demanding that you should stop attacking them, but even if you destroy their ships and stations, your player faction won't lose reputation.

I really love the IFF system and I hope Egosoft expands it with the upcoming update and make it a built-in ship software (like the trading software, police scanner, etc) you can buy at pirate bases. They could count as illegal software for normal commonwealth territories, but it can enable your ships to travel safely though Xenon space by disguising themselves as Xenon.

It also should be manually controllable. For example, disabling the auto-IFF and instead enabling us to choose the IFF faction manually whenever we want, because sometimes I actually don't want it to change my faction.

It could also act as a motivator to get high reputation/complete quest lines with pirate factions : Higher reputation with Pirate factions/more quest lines done for pirates -> More factions to disguise as?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 17:03

Sirus5 wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 11:29
... IFF allows me to travel undetected in enemy territory.
Split say: do light recon with full battlegroup. Nobody alive will detect you. :split:

When I heard rumour (4.10 update) that Sol systems have additional sectors, I did scout with a Rattlesnake. Hot plasma does wonders, no matter what IFF that target has. :twisted: If you don't want to shoot enemies, then any of the ships that can break 10km/s should do fine.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 17:23

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 16:58
As long as Xenon are nearby, and thus your IFF is set to Yaki, you can attack anything in sight (except Xenon/Yaki) and you won't get any reputation losses.

For example you can shoot down PAR ships attacking a Xenon station. The PAR ships will keep demanding that you should stop attacking them, but even if you destroy their ships and stations, your player faction won't lose reputation.

I really love the IFF system and I hope Egosoft expands it with the upcoming update and make it a built-in ship software (like the trading software, police scanner, etc) you can buy at pirate bases. They could count as illegal software for normal commonwealth territories, but it can enable your ships to travel safely though Xenon space by disguising themselves as Xenon.

It also should be manually controllable. For example, disabling the auto-IFF and instead enabling us to choose the IFF faction manually whenever we want, because sometimes I actually don't want it to change my faction.

It could also act as a motivator to get high reputation/complete quest lines with pirate factions : Higher reputation with Pirate factions/more quest lines done for pirates -> More factions to disguise as?
OMG REALLY - I didn't know that you can attack without rep loss -

Yep - agree with the ideas of manually controllable, and higher rep with pirates gives more faction disguises WHOOO

In the meantime - I am not finishing the Yaki quest line because I don't want to lose my IFF...

Oh - and I agree with Jlehtone 10k small ship or Rattlesnake - but it's not quite as much fun....

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 21:16

Problem with the disguise ships is they are either not that good (S ship) or you get them end game (throw Asguards at any problem to solve it). I am at the stage that in a few hours I could amass a fleet to bulldoze the entire universe but still have not terraformed Scale Plate Green.

The Yaki one only turns on camo when near Xenon or other Yaki, which is an issue to use for piracy since chances are you will not want to be pirating near Xenon as they often summon defence fleets which a S ship is unlikely to handle too well.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 24. Oct 21, 01:03

Sirus5 wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 17:23
Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 16:58

OMG REALLY - I didn't know that you can attack without rep loss -
Yep ;)
Please note though that sometimes your disguised IFF gets canceled, seemingly randomly, but it shouldn't happen often.
I'm not sure why that happens, perhaps a stray shot can hit you resulting in your true faction being revealed under certain circumstances, or something else.

joeobrien22

Post by joeobrien22 » Thu, 19. May 22, 23:04

I've just gotten back into the game now that TOA was released, just noticed that my rodent doesn't seem to be disguising around xenon anymore... I've installed a chassis upgrade. Did this make me lose the IFF? Or am I forgetting something? Is it lost after you finish the plotline like the geometric owls?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 19. May 22, 23:13

The Yaki IFF trick stops when you destroy the Amplifier, if you have done that. This is a slightly oldish thread to resurrect just to ask about that, but I'll let it pass.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Thu, 19. May 22, 23:21

joeobrien22 wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 23:04
I've just gotten back into the game now that TOA was released, just noticed that my rodent doesn't seem to be disguising around xenon anymore... I've installed a chassis upgrade. Did this make me lose the IFF? Or am I forgetting something? Is it lost after you finish the plotline like the geometric owls?
AFAIK (I played this mission just once) the IFF on the ship is lost as soon as you destroy the amplifier station.

It works fine during your first visit with the Yaki (when you 'find' them), and you can leave the sector after this with it still active. But if you return (with the Syn for example) to destroy the amplifier station, the ship no longer has a working iFF. If I remember correctly I reported the Yaki (not dangerous) to the Secret Service, and then planned to return with the Syn.
Since I had no experience flying and fighting a destroyer I was concerned about flying into a trap - so I scouted the way for the Syn with the Litigious Rodent. The IFF worked fine again. But after destroying the Amplifier it stopped to work.

joeobrien22

Post by joeobrien22 » Thu, 19. May 22, 23:32

Good Wizard wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 23:21
joeobrien22 wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 23:04
AFAIK (I played this mission just once) the IFF on the ship is lost as soon as you destroy the amplifier station.

It works fine during your first visit with the Yaki (when you 'find' them), and you can leave the sector after this with it still active. But if you return (with the Syn for example) to destroy the amplifier station, the ship no longer has a working iFF. If I remember correctly I reported the Yaki (not dangerous) to the Secret Service, and then planned to return with the Syn.
Since I had no experience flying and fighting a destroyer I was concerned about flying into a trap - so I scouted the way for the Syn with the Litigious Rodent. The IFF worked fine again. But after destroying the Amplifier it stopped to work.

Ah, that's annoying. Makes some sense I suppose, but would be handy to have after, even though I've mostly destroyed all of the xenon already. Who knows what's behind all the inactive gates still... :)

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Fri, 20. May 22, 01:54

So, loading up Friend/Foe Mines and dumping them into Xenon Shipyards before destroying the Amplifier could help clear the stations then I assume.

Return to “X4: Foundations”