Any solution for AI-driven capital ships could never reach the perfect position?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

flywlyx
x4

Any solution for AI-driven capital ships could never reach the perfect position?

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:02

Today I sent the fleet made up of 17 Asgards to clean up a defence station with a "coordinate attack" command. And until the station is destroyed, the "coordinate attack" has never been trigged, since the fleet never reaches the sync point together.
It makes me very frustrated and can't stop myself to mention thE elephant in the room again, why AI-driven capital ships could never reach the perfect position?
I believe everybody has suffered from the situation when you have an "Assemble fleet" task to finish, but the capital ship with a five-star pilot could never enter the meeting point sphere, every time it makes me wonder the design purpose of this inconvenience.
I think "Units will follow orders" is the fundamental function of a strategy game and in a game like X4 which only has the very basic physic simulation, there shouldn't be any problem to "force" the ship to move as the player expected, just like the docking computer.
Is there any mod or any workaround that could lift me from this frustration?

LameFox
x4

Re: Any solution for AI-driven capital ships could never reach the perfect position?

Post by LameFox » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:24

I guess you could try to drag in a new order between them, put it past that place and then delete it when the ship is in the right spot. Only if you were very desperate though.

As for making the AI better, I can only wish they spend more time on it. Some days the AI are so frustrating I just want to uninstall the game and forget it existed.
***modified***

flywlyx
x4

Re: Any solution for AI-driven capital ships could never reach the perfect position?

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:33

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:24
As for making the AI better, I can only wish they spend more time on it. Some days the AI are so frustrating I just want to uninstall the game and forget it existed.
This is what confuses me, this is not an AI problem, fighter AI is totally fine with this, only capital ship AI has this issue.
It looks like there is some intention behind this ridiculous behavior.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:44

It seems as if a lot of bad AI behaviour in this game stems from some intentional choice. If I had to guess, perhaps in this case because the AI doesn't cope with precise manoeuvres (things like strafing into place, or reversing) the large ships treat a destination as a radius to get into, or else they'd risk spiralling around the point yet never reaching it.
***modified***

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 07:20

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 06:44
It seems as if a lot of bad AI behaviour in this game stems from some intentional choice. If I had to guess, perhaps in this case because the AI doesn't cope with precise manoeuvres (things like strafing into place, or reversing) the large ships treat a destination as a radius to get into, or else they'd risk spiralling around the point yet never reaching it.
This is what I think too, they intentionally add a tolerance to the moving behaviour, which gets reduced by the pilot skill but will never get to zero in capital ships case.
Is there anyone who will appreciate this effort? The AI is bad enough already that request tons of micromanagement, this makes the condition even worse.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 07:32

Yeah, I have always felt that the AI in this game is simply too bad for a skill system. It does not go from 'beginner pilot' to 'experienced pilot'—more like from 'drunk child pilot' to 'sober child pilot'.

In this case I think the easiest solution would be for them to expand the acceptable radius of the points in the coordinated attack. It was probably made with smaller ships in mind.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations”