Graphic improvements?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Artean
x4

Graphic improvements?

Post by Artean » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 19:10

The X4 graphics have certainly been improved since release, but there are still room for more (there always are...). What about:

* Some planets and star backdrops are low resolution, almost pixelated.
* Turn the landing pad shield effect (the moving texture) into something more... modern/SciFi looking?
* Spot light sources on stations and mass traffic does not look as good as they did in X:R. They seem too cut out.
* Explosions! The X:R explosions still looks better. The current ones plays out too fast and could use some more glitter!
* New AA option? FXAA and SSAA are both dated, and MSAA too resource intensive.
* The sun behind the new fog in some sectors still looks very pixalated.
* And, finally, a really important one: replace the loading screen screenshots!

Would be great to see some new improvements to the graphics to keep the engine/game up to date!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

alexdefelice
x4

Re: Graphic improvements?

Post by alexdefelice » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:08

DLSS
It's like paradise, spread out with a butter knife.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:11

Artean wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 19:10
* Turn the landing pad shield effect (the moving texture) into something more... modern/SciFi looking?
Im guessing you mean the landing pad 'atmosphere' which reminds me to ask: What exactly is the logic about landing pads and breathing air? they seem to be open to space?
Credence follow stars.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:55

PhotonPulse wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:11
Artean wrote:
Im guessing you mean the landing pad 'atmosphere' which reminds me to ask: What exactly is the logic about landing pads and breathing air? they seem to be open to space?
I mean the blueish texture moving above and around the station landing pads.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 21:05

Artean wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:55
PhotonPulse wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:11
Artean wrote:
I mean the blueish texture moving above and around the station landing pads.
Yes that was what i meant aswell. I agree it doesnt seem to make any sense the way it is now. However i dont know how its meant to be or what the story behind it is. It seems wrong that it is open to space.
Credence follow stars.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 21:56

alexdefelice wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:08
DLSS
We get FSR with 5.0 and there is no reason for DLSS considering how small the onwer base is while NV GPUs supporting DLSS have no issue to play maxed out the game at 2560x1440

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:54

Panos wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 21:56
alexdefelice wrote:
DLSS
We get FSR with 5.0 and there is no reason for DLSS considering how small the onwer base is while NV GPUs supporting DLSS have no issue to play maxed out the game at 2560x1440
Just checked out the Steam hardware survey results, and you have a point. But have you used it? It's definitely worth it, and easier to implement than ever*. If you've used FSR and DLSS side-by-side, there is simply no comparison. DLSS is lightning-fast and razor sharp, FSR is a gross blurry mess with mixed performance results.

(*for many games, I have no idea what engine X4 uses)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 02:03

Give us NPC humans that blink. They used to blink before the models got "updated"

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 03:27

PhotonPulse wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 21:05
.... I agree it doesnt seem to make any sense the way it is now. However i dont know how its meant to be or what the story behind it is. It seems wrong that it is open to space.
I take it you don't watch many space movies/tv shows. :wink: Whenever a shuttle departs a ship on, say, Star Trek, there's a force field designed to keep in the atmosphere while letting the shuttle depart. A lot of the futuristic Sci Fi shows use this device. And that's what we have in X4. Make sense now? :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 06:55

I just want them to fix the weird low resolution shadows I get on the 'high' setting. I reported it a while back and it turned out the (greyed out?) medium setting is better somehow than the high one. Still like that today. :gruebel:
***modified***

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 07:07

Spoiler
Show
Nanook wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 03:27
PhotonPulse wrote:
.... I agree it doesnt seem to make any sense the way it is now. However i dont know how its meant to be or what the story behind it is. It seems wrong that it is open to space.
I take it you don't watch many space movies/tv shows. :wink: Whenever a shuttle departs a ship on, say, Star Trek, there's a force field designed to keep in the atmosphere while letting the shuttle depart. A lot of the futuristic Sci Fi shows use this device. And that's what we have in X4. Make sense now? :mrgreen:
It would be nice to get the force field effect for the ship landing pads. There seems to be nothing between squishy humies and open space on those right now.
And the texture itself looks a bit sad.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 09:49

Nanook wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 03:27
PhotonPulse wrote:
Well, yes, but it does not look like a 'force field'. And we all know how they are supposed to look... ;)

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 09:53

Panos wrote:
alexdefelice wrote:
DLSS
FSR will surely be nice for anyone with low fps, but it is not the answer to those of us craving for a better AA option.

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 10:21

for me the most imersion breaking graphic problem are the highways.
They look like a semi transparent plane. because they are ... a semitransparent plane...

They should like the effect on the accelerators or something similar.
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 10:27

Artean wrote:
* Explosions! The X:R explosions still looks better. The current ones plays out too fast and could use some more glitter!
XR tried to make the explosions epic, but if you had a large battle it was near unplayable due to how over the top they were. Your screen was basically black most of the time due to HDR.
Artean wrote:
* New AA option? FXAA and SSAA are both dated, and MSAA too resource intensive.
They are adding FSR which can be used as a form of super resolution based AA. Not as good as DLSS but easier to implement and works for everyone.
Artean wrote:
Likely limited by performance. Higher resolution buffers for those effects would drastically increase GPU time usage.
Artean wrote:
* And, finally, a really important one: replace the loading screen screenshots!
Why? Not like it is seen much and they replace it with every DLC already.
alexdefelice wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:54
Just checked out the Steam hardware survey results, and you have a point. But have you used it? It's definitely worth it, and easier to implement than ever*. If you've used FSR and DLSS side-by-side, there is simply no comparison. DLSS is lightning-fast and razor sharp, FSR is a gross blurry mess with mixed performance results.

From what I can tell X4 uses a custom in-house engine made by Egosoft. This is why it only supports Vulkan. Implementing DLSS is certainly a lot more difficult than FSR due to it being proprietary.

The main competitor for DLSS is being developed by Intel which will also be open and platform independent similar to FSR. FSR is just an improved up scalar which factors in some information from behind the scene rather than being entirely reliant on resampling pixels.
Artean wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 09:53
FSR will surely be nice for anyone with low fps, but it is not the answer to those of us craving for a better AA option.
Due to being an up-scalar FSR can be used as a form of AA by then down sampling the resulting image. Anti-aliasing via super sampling, but less resource intensive and with worse results.

DLSS can be used in a similar way as a form of anti-aliasing. Except due to the use of AI to fill in missing information it generally produces better results than FSR.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:04

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 10:27
Artean wrote:
Likely limited by performance. Higher resolution buffers for those effects would drastically increase GPU time usage.
acknowledge by devs but very low on the list to fix, some sectors with fog have normal sun some not so it will eventually be done
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:44

alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:
alexdefelice wrote:
DLSS

You do realise DLSS is limited to RTX20/30 GPUs while FSR is not yes?

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 14:42

Panos wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:44
alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:

Do both! ;)

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 14:47

Increase shadow render resolution to beyond a few feet in front of you would be nice and softer aa edges as edges kinda look crap in some situations. That or raytraced shadows as a option would be nice. Also please ego hurry and get specular aa ingame to fix shimmering edges as aa doesnt fix em.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:15

Panos wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:44
alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:

Yes I do. You didn't answer my question, have you compared them side by side, in person? YouTube videos with their compression are of very little use here.

Return to “X4: Foundations”