Graphic improvements?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Buzz2005
x4

Re: Graphic improvements?

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:04

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 10:27
Artean wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 19:10
* The sun behind the new fog in some sectors still looks very pixalated.
Likely limited by performance. Higher resolution buffers for those effects would drastically increase GPU time usage.
acknowledge by devs but very low on the list to fix, some sectors with fog have normal sun some not so it will eventually be done
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:44

alexdefelice wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:54
Panos wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 21:56
alexdefelice wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:08
DLSS
We get FSR with 5.0 and there is no reason for DLSS considering how small the onwer base is while NV GPUs supporting DLSS have no issue to play maxed out the game at 2560x1440
Just checked out the Steam hardware survey results, and you have a point. But have you used it? It's definitely worth it, and easier to implement than ever*. If you've used FSR and DLSS side-by-side, there is simply no comparison. DLSS is lightning-fast and razor sharp, FSR is a gross blurry mess with mixed performance results.

(*for many games, I have no idea what engine X4 uses)
You do realise DLSS is limited to RTX20/30 GPUs while FSR is not yes?

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 14:42

Panos wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 13:44
alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:

We get FSR with 5.0 and there is no reason for DLSS considering how small the onwer base is while NV GPUs supporting DLSS have no issue to play maxed out the game at 2560x1440
Just checked out the Steam hardware survey results, and you have a point. But have you used it? It's definitely worth it, and easier to implement than ever*. If you've used FSR and DLSS side-by-side, there is simply no comparison. DLSS is lightning-fast and razor sharp, FSR is a gross blurry mess with mixed performance results.

Do both! ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 14:47

Increase shadow render resolution to beyond a few feet in front of you would be nice and softer aa edges as edges kinda look crap in some situations. That or raytraced shadows as a option would be nice. Also please ego hurry and get specular aa ingame to fix shimmering edges as aa doesnt fix em.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:15

Panos wrote:
alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:

Yes I do. You didn't answer my question, have you compared them side by side, in person? YouTube videos with their compression are of very little use here.
It's like paradise, spread out with a butter knife.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:59

alexdefelice wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:15
Panos wrote:
alexdefelice wrote:

Yes I do. You didn't answer my question, have you compared them side by side, in person? YouTube videos with their compression are of very little use here.
Seriously you do not understand the investment/return ratio. RTX20/30 will not benefit even at 2560x1440 playing X4. The FPS is pretty good if the CPU is good enough (8core 3200C14/3600C16 RAM)

There are people with GTX900/1000 series playing this game and ofc AMD users that benefit from FSR and not from DLSS.
Also shouldn't forget due to the game engine used, NV cards are 40% faster than their equivalent AMD with X4.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 20:13

The thing I want, but am unlikely to get since it would probably be really taxing, is an improved lighting model. Really the only thing that I like about Elite Dangerous is that the lighting is so good, I think in part because they rely more heavily on point lights and spotlights than on ambient lighting. X4's lighting makes everything look relatively flat, even with shadows turned on. If there were some way to add "in-universe" lights (including light from the main star) and dial down the overall ambient lighting, I'd be all for it. Though I do understand I'd probably end up watching a slideshow.

Anti-aliasing is nice, but I don't think it's the thing that's keeping X4's visuals from matching the best of other games in the genre. It's not even the quality/complexity of the textures, which are generally pretty good. It's the lighting.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 21:08

agreed kmunoz
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 21:45

Panos wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:59
alexdefelice wrote:
Panos wrote:

Seriously you do not understand the investment/return ratio. RTX20/30 will not benefit even at 2560x1440 playing X4. The FPS is pretty good if the CPU is good enough (8core 3200C14/3600C16 RAM)

There are people with GTX900/1000 series playing this game and ofc AMD users that benefit from FSR and not from DLSS.
Also shouldn't forget due to the game engine used, NV cards are 40% faster than their equivalent AMD with X4.
If you'd used it, and if you play on a 165hz, you'd understand. This is a pointless debate since you haven't actually tried it. And it absolutely makes a difference at 1440p, even with a 3080 and an overlocked 10700k with properly-timed ram. Take Rust for example, or No Man's Sky, it's awesome; so smooth and fluid. But you really have to see it in person to get it. Ultimately the developers will decide whether investment/return is worth it. Only they know what it would take to implement. Might be easy, might be a no-go due to engine complications/time constraints, and (as you pointed out and is proved out via Steam surveys) the relatively small user base.

alexdefelice
x4

Post by alexdefelice » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 21:50

Artean wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 14:42
Panos wrote:
alexdefelice wrote:

Do both! ;)
That would be so awesome if it's feasible.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 10:33

alexdefelice wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 21:45
Panos wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 19:59
alexdefelice wrote:

If you'd used it, and if you play on a 165hz, you'd understand. This is a pointless debate since you haven't actually tried it. And it absolutely makes a difference at 1440p, even with a 3080 and an overlocked 10700k with properly-timed ram. Take Rust for example, or No Man's Sky, it's awesome; so smooth and fluid. But you really have to see it in person to get it. Ultimately the developers will decide whether investment/return is worth it. Only they know what it would take to implement. Might be easy, might be a no-go due to engine complications/time constraints, and (as you pointed out and is proved out via Steam surveys) the relatively small user base.
You fight your own argument. FSR is the best solution considering it can be used by all DX11/Vulkan compatible GPUs, including upcoming Intel GPUs and archaic GTX700/R9 200 series from 2013!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 11:40

DLSS is better if your hardware supports it. Still FSR is very useful for people who cannot run X4 well at native resolution. I am using a GTX 760 and when playing Anno 1800 was surprised to find that FSR not only works on such a GPU but helps to maintain reasonable performance without looking terrible. If X4 had FSR I would immediately use it as performance is quite bad at 1440p on this card. I just hope that it does not mangle game text too much, ideally that should be rendered native while the complex shader output is upscaled.

Visually I think better ship damage would be the next major graphical area to improve. Firing the Asgard at a target and having no visual scars left on it is kind of anticlimactic given how much damage it does. I could see this implemented as a sort of per ship texture set that is drawn on to to represent surface damage, and heat. For example firing plasma cannons at a station would cause the area of impact to glow white/red from the heat while chain bolt guns would leave dents and damage marks where they impact. Something like the Asgard beam could then spread huge heat across the surface as it deals damage and leave massive scar marks around the impact sight. Of course this would only apply after shields are depleted and hull damage is done. Over time these visual effects will fade, and will not be saved or tracked in low attention. In low attention ships would gain hint attributes based on the weapons dealing hull damage to them which is then used to randomly generate impact effects on them so that abruptly entering a sector does not start out with all ships looking brand new when their hulls are critical.

Currently there is some ship damage, but it is usually in the form of some once-off small explosion effects once low hull threshold is reached. You can fire shots at the same area of the ship's hull for minutes and all the way up until the ship explodes (hull 0) you will not see even one scratch to the surface.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 13:50

More varied and [much], better player / NPC models would be a start, it would also be nice to ba able to actually see all crew members when using the management screen, not just the captains??

kamov23

Post by kamov23 » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 00:47

+1 to this thread.

I would really like to see an HD universe backdrop. Some sectors look amazing, while others look very low res. I mean, space is gorgeous, so let some of that beauty shine! :)

The stars in particular are HUGE in some sectors. It really takes away from the immersion, at least for me.

Hopefully 5.0 gives us some goodies. In the most recent interview, Bernd said it changes a lot. One can hope!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 10:09

I wrote it in my separate topic, but we need to have paint mods apply to turrets and shield generators as well.

Currently many hull paint mods are looking very bad with default one color turrets and shield generators.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 10:12

I would like it if this game had decent shadows, since I am still using a weird workaround to get medium ones because the high ones are low-res (for some reason??) and the medium ones get weird flickering in the cockpit when the sun is behind my ship. It's really distracting when something as natural as a shadow is messed up.
***modified***

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 20:26

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 2. Dec 21, 02:03
Give us NPC humans that blink. They used to blink before the models got "updated"
they removed blinking for a reason ! it made them look too human !

Harrison_rus
x4

Post by Harrison_rus » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 20:56

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 3. Dec 21, 11:40

Visually I think better ship damage would be the next major graphical area to improve. Firing the Asgard at a target and having no visual scars left on it is kind of anticlimactic given how much damage it does. I could see this implemented as a sort of per ship texture set that is drawn on to to represent surface damage, and heat. For example firing plasma cannons at a station would cause the area of impact to glow white/red from the heat while chain bolt guns would leave dents and damage marks where they impact. Something like the Asgard beam could then spread huge heat across the surface as it deals damage and leave massive scar marks around the impact sight. Of course this would only apply after shields are depleted and hull damage is done. Over time these visual effects will fade, and will not be saved or tracked in low attention. In low attention ships would gain hint attributes based on the weapons dealing hull damage to them which is then used to randomly generate impact effects on them so that abruptly entering a sector does not start out with all ships looking brand new when their hulls are critical.

Currently there is some ship damage, but it is usually in the form of some once-off small explosion effects once low hull threshold is reached. You can fire shots at the same area of the ship's hull for minutes and all the way up until the ship explodes (hull 0) you will not see even one scratch to the surface.
^ This. I thought something about this but dropped because I think that on this devs should spent a lot of time with ~0 profiiiits. (better concentrate on bugs and improvements than just "eye candy") But I want that this happen in some time.

My preferences:
* Better sprite/effect for the highways. It can be same - flat line. But at this time it looks very cheap.
* Gate effects also need improve. When I saw X3 trailers/gameplay it was much better :o
* It will be good for the very far distance for the shadows. Because stations looks very impressive only with small distance where you can see all loaded shadows. In the far it just bright. (But I suspect that this possible only with ray tracing. I hope that I wrong.)

Return to “X4: Foundations”