Is there a way to turn off automatic docking permission?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fenris321
x4

Is there a way to turn off automatic docking permission?

Post by Fenris321 » Fri, 13. May 22, 19:25

I don't mean the docking computer, when I want to dock quickly the computer is nice. What I mean is when you get near a docking platform or pier and you are automatically given permission to dock. The problem with this is there have been several times when I undock, point my s or m ship away from the dock, hit boost to clear the station and am immediately given docking permission then slammed back down onto the docking platform. This also happens occasionally with L ships, I undock, start to pull away from the pier (maintenance bay in this case), am given permission to dock, and then lose control of the ship and have to wait for the docking sequence to complete. I had this happen three times in a row the other day when trying to undock an Odysseus E.

I'd even be happy with a mod, since I see no way to turn it off in settings. Basically, if I want to dock I will ask permission, or at the very least give a 30 second timer after you undock before being automatically giving permission to dock gain. I mean I just took off, why would you think I want to dock?
Last edited by Fenris321 on Fri, 13. May 22, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Is there a way to turn off automatic docking permission?

Post by Nanook » Fri, 13. May 22, 19:31

+1

This has been irritating me for a long time, too. Just another case of the game making (unwanted) choices for the player's 'benefit'. Docking should only happen, or even be allowed, after the player asks for docking permission. IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Fri, 13. May 22, 21:39

With my Mk2 Docking Computer I actually had a dock yank me onto a pad as I flew by today : /

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Sat, 14. May 22, 03:13

+1

Time for another toggle to be added to the Game Settings Menu :D :D :D :D :D
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 18. May 22, 20:01

Can't disagree. Need an option to not dock until you actually ask for it, even if that means you take off, immediately change your mind and want to dock. You'll have to ask again.

p.s. Part of the reason I never used a Dock computer for so long was I could avoid that... as well as liking docking manually when it worked.
Last edited by Socratatus on Wed, 18. May 22, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 18. May 22, 20:17

What's even the thinking behind this thing anyway? Afaict it's not exactly documented or even intuitive or anything.
Like someone sat down and decided to code this thing in, what problems were they thinking of that this is meant to deal with?
oddible wrote:
Fri, 13. May 22, 21:39
With my Mk2 Docking Computer I actually had a dock yank me onto a pad as I flew by today : /
I wish they'll do that when I actually want to land on some fast mover.
Or when landing at my wharf with multiple S/M bays and other docks, sometimes I have trouble figuring out where exactly my landing spot is supposed to be. Though I guess it's not much of an issue since I rarely take the wheel anyway.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 18. May 22, 21:18

I thought they'd already made the auto-dock far less aggressive. Back in earlier versions, I'd regularly take off only to be dragged back to the landing pad before I even got control of the ship. I guessing it perhaps affected some ships more than others, but I was often flying small Scouts and Fighters - most of them captured from the SCA. It was a total pain, so I only ever fitted the Mk1 docking software to avoid it. It then got a bit better, where as long as I strafed up the moment I gained control or turned quickly I'd generally be fine. I'd still get caught out occasionally as I moved the mouse to turn, only to find the game had disabled mouse steering while I was docked, causing me not to turn and be dragged to the pad once again.

However, I've not had issues for ages with being forced to dock like that. I sometime get given docking permission when I feel I'm not really that close yet, but a quick shift + d cancels that. I do agree though that a option to enable / disable the automatic granting of docking permission would sort this issue once and for all. Perhaps its' just me, but I pretty much always manually request docking permission anyway. So I'm rarely flying near a pad without permission already granted.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 18. May 22, 21:45

Raptor34 wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 20:17
What's even the thinking behind this thing anyway? Afaict it's not exactly documented or even intuitive or anything.
Like someone sat down and decided to code this thing in, what problems were they thinking of that this is meant to deal with?
It smacks to me that someone ordered things to be even more 'convenient' for everyone without really thinking about it, a bit like how Mass Effect 3 reduced the amount of buttons to so few it actually became a huge disadvantage... Wanna hide behind cover with one button for everything? oops! The button thought I wanted to jump over it and get shot instead!

That made me rage quit... never completed Mass effect 3 cos of that... Hmmm, I think mods fixed that, I should go back and try again....
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Wed, 18. May 22, 23:03

Overall I think ES do a pretty good job of balancing this. While their UI could certainly use some love from an interaction design standpoint, oversimplifying things that are complex especially using automation creates problems.

Hasenpfote
x4

Post by Hasenpfote » Wed, 18. May 22, 23:05

This docking is annoying, especially if you undock and the station talks to you docking permissed, yeah -.-

Return to “X4: Foundations”