I figured out the very confusing boarding comms chatter!!!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oddible
x4

I figured out the very confusing boarding comms chatter!!!

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 02:34

EDIT: I didn't :(

In like 1000 hours I've always been very confused by the comms chatter during boarding. It always seemed weird I'd hear these terrible negative messages then I'd hear super positive messages then an absolute failure message then I'd capture the ship. WE'RE HEARING BOTH SIDES!!! How silly is that!?!? I don't have the code to the enemy comms, I don't need to hear them, I just want to hear my guys. I can't tell their voices apart anyway - it is super confusing.

+1 vote to only hear one side of the comms in boarding please!

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong. It is just bad programming. The failure messages say specific things like "I'm calling it, head back to your pods" so nope, it isn't the enemy side.
Last edited by oddible on Sun, 15. May 22, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.

ajime
x4

Re: I figured out the very confusing boarding comms chatter!!!

Post by ajime » Sun, 15. May 22, 02:43

well every time you lose a marine with a net loss you generally get failure messages. upon successful kills without losses, positive messages. pretty straight forward if you ask me.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 15. May 22, 02:52

I had my first boarding today.
It was pretty tough. Didn't really know what was going on with my boarding party. There was so much noise I could hardly hear them. I did eventually get the ship, but I don't think the boarding party captured it, I think it just gave up. It took a looong time to take and it would've wiped me out had I not figured out a sneaky way not to get shot! I'll probably make a more detailed thread on it later.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 04:32

Socratatus wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 02:52
I had my first boarding today.
It was pretty tough. Didn't really know what was going on with my boarding party. There was so much noise I could hardly hear them. I did eventually get the ship, but I don't think the boarding party captured it, I think it just gave up. It took a looong time to take and it would've wiped me out had I not figured out a sneaky way not to get shot! I'll probably make a more detailed thread on it later.
Haha, congrats. You can always click the ship you told to start the boarding, then rt-click the target ship and select Board to see the progress through the 3 stages. The comms chatter isn't much real help.

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Sun, 15. May 22, 04:45

ajime wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 02:43
well every time you lose a marine with a net loss you generally get failure messages. upon successful kills without losses, positive messages. pretty straight forward if you ask me.
After you do it once or twice, then sure it is "pretty straight forward". But the first time I went to capture a ship, I sent in an overwhelming force compared to what was defending. I remember hearing the message about heading back to the pods and was confused lol, I was sitting there wondering if there was a way to have the marines retreat and if I should do that. I just left it alone and captured the ship.

Now days I just look at what is defending then board if I have enough to overcome the defenders. After that I pretty much ignore the chatter and only occasionally if ever look at the boarding screen. I just do other things like taking care of any attackers that show up or just doing empire stuff from the map screen.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 06:35

The messages themselves are really badly designed.

thijso

Post by thijso » Sun, 15. May 22, 09:42

It's just chatter, I don't think it really is meant to give a complete picture of what is happening.

As mentioned, you can pull up the boarding screen later on, but you actually don't have to select the original boarding ship first. Just right click on the target and select board, and your own ship will be added, but nothing changes, and you can't change anything, just see the progress.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 15. May 22, 12:03

thijso wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 09:42
It's just chatter, I don't think it really is meant to give a complete picture of what is happening.
That sounds quite realistic too.

The very first time I did try boarding I had two totally unskilled marines on my ship. I did send one. The marine died. I did send the second. The marine died. I shot the target ship out of the sky. On second attempt at boarding (different target) I had a Boa full of marines. Similar low skill. All went in. Only one survived and the target was ours.

Yes, on recent board op I did hear that "back to pods" chatter and I wondered why as the odds were supposedly quite good. The next moment the ship was green ...

Have you ever tried simultaneous board ops? That should give you plenty of chatter.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Mon, 16. May 22, 12:40

ajime wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 02:43
Not true. Even if you don't loose any marines they still can have negative radio messaging to very end of the fight or it can be positive when you loose lots of marines.
So from radio messaging you cannot always predict is the result positive or negative (loose or not loose marines).

Most probably more your marines skill level and amount of enemies on boardeded ship affects to radio communication.

Prophet1
x4

Post by Prophet1 » Tue, 17. May 22, 10:19

My favorite is the pilot asking for mercy while you take out all turrets and shields, then when you com him he says " I'm not talking to you" , then continues talking to you.
No glory for you!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 17. May 22, 23:47

Prophet1 wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 10:19
My favorite is the pilot asking for mercy while you take out all turrets and shields, then when you com him he says " I'm not talking to you" , then continues talking to you.
The Terrans. I just shoot them to get them stop not talking to me ...
jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 12:03
Have you ever tried simultaneous board ops? That should give you plenty of chatter.
Tested. Two Osakas at the same time. Suprisingly quiet.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”