1st boarding of a pirate Phoenix ship. It didn't really work for the boarders... Long story.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

1st boarding of a pirate Phoenix ship. It didn't really work for the boarders... Long story.

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 15. May 22, 12:54

Had my first boarding.

Ages back (ok a couple of weeks ago in real time, long in game time) I took on a mission to destroy a Plunderer Phoenix Vanguard. The money was good. I had a Cerberus. My Cerberus was big. No problem. Of course I had not paid any real attention on ship types...

Found the Plunderer Phoenix Vanguard, or rather it found me as I approached, "Give us your stuff!" the pilot said.
Pfeh! Me have big ship with big guns. I closed in as it turned towards me.

Then I saw it... Ah... It's one of those gigantic mushroom looking ships I've seen around sometimes. It dwarfed my 'big' ship.
It's slow, I'm faster, how bad can it be?

It blew me away. I guess that's my Iron-man game blown. :evil: Reloaded. Blown away again. Reload, no way can I take that behemoth, no wonder the money was good. Left and did other missions for ages. Got a couple more Freighters to garner more cash.

But I hadn't forgotten about that ship...

I came across it a couple of times causing problems and sometimes shooting others. It had a very sneaky tactic of looking like a normal innocent ship in blue when near Stations and other powerful ships, but when further out, it would turn red and attack you. The odd times I bumped into it it kept doing that. Clever.

Finally, after ages, I had a Cerberus with medium loadout and a backup Minotaur. I felt that I needed some marines since I was considering boarding and catching it if possible which would be the best revenge. However, I was kinda unkind to my Marines, as I really expected them to be cannon fodder. Got as many as I could of low skill. There are lots just hanging around stations uselessly.

Found the Phoenix next to a station in 'innocent' blue. It was randomly shooting some civilian ships and Freighters that came close, but not attacking the Station. It did not react to me.
I knew it was still too powerful for me to just take on so devised a plan to get in right inbetween its struts behind it so as few of its guns could get a shot at me as possible...
Then It suddenly moved off and out towards deeper space. Good.

I caught it up, it still didn't react to me. I had a feeling that any moment now it would turn pirate and attack. I got in real close in its wake and among its struts in its rear. I prepared my ragtag noob Marines, "This will be a glorious battle, blah, blah!" as they stared at me dully. Set my ships guns to batter the Phoenix's defenses to nothing and weaken it as much as possible. Sent in the ragtag Marines. Off they went as my guns opened fire.

The noise clouded much of what the Marines said in their update sitrep, but it sounded like they weren't doing too well. That's fine, cos they were really a diversion.
We battered the engines to off, silenced most his guns except his forward ones. He couldn't touch my ship. It was like trying to scratch his back to get a flea! lol!

However, his shields kept coming back up and his engine kept fixing itself and I realised he had some kind of drones repairing his ship. I sent in my Minotaur backup to attack. It battered the Minotaur as it didn't stay in the rear and I had to order it to retreat fast- It only just got out of there. I concentrated my main guns on weakening the shields while working around the rear of the ship with my other guns taking out anything else, over and over, cos it kept repairing bits. It takes a LOOOONG while to do and great patience, my drone ships had been blown away by now -

Then suddenly all the guns stopped firing and the Phoenix was silent and still in space.
Looked like it had surrendered and I saw some escape pods floating about which I could not pick up. Why? They're my prisoners now. :(
The Phoenix had been battered to about 25% it's hull and it wouldn't even move cos it had no engines... But it was mine.

Only problem is my mission was to destroy it, but I want to keep it, so I guess I won't get the money.

It was pretty epic. I knew I was likely doing things the very hard way, especially using weaker ships. :)

Sorry this was so long.

p.s Game was modded with an extra missions mod, not sure if that has any relevance.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

KextV8
x4

Re: 1st boarding of a pirate Phoenix ship. It didn't really work for the boarders... Long story.

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 15. May 22, 13:14

Ah, its always nice to get that good feeling when the game is nice and new and shiny. Thanks for sharing and I hope you continue to have fun exploring!

ConorC
x4

Re: 1st boarding of a pirate Phoenix ship. It didn't really work for the boarders... Long story.

Post by ConorC » Sun, 15. May 22, 14:31

Good job. Your first boarding op is always very stressful. But you did everything right, you killed it's engines, killed it's turrets and battered the hull a bit so your marines could break through.

The only thing you don't need to do is keep the shields down. Once your boys are on the hull, you can let the shields recharge. Actually, if you have a weapon that bypasses shields, you don't even need to drop them. The important thing is to get the hull below 90%.

One thing to think about, the ship you are flying does not need to be the ship that deploys the marines. A shop set to be your wing man can be the marine ship. Or even multiple ships.

I have 3 fleets of capital ships with six or seven ships on each fleet. I've only bought two or three of them. The rest.... YAAAAAAAAARRRRR

FOR THE PRIZE!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 15. May 22, 16:42

Weaker ship? Big ship with big guns? Han Solo knew every bolt and nut of Millennium Falcon. Montgomery Scott knew the ships he maintained. Whether those ships were weaker or stronger than the others was not the point. The point was that you should know the tools you have.

I just say to my marines: "Ladies, there are males in that ship that think highly of themselves." For some reason curbs go berserk ...
ConorC wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 14:31
The important thing is to get the hull below 90%.
Very Strong is 100%, Strong is 80%. Where did you pick up the 90%?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 17:00

Secret... the Scale Plate Pact flies a lot of Teladi destroyers and they're enemies of most factions, so you can capture them without repercussions. They will have Plunderer or Marauder in the name - you have to scan them first (F2 > SHIFT-F) to get them to change their disguise from Teladi to Scale Plate. Then you can attack.

Pay close attention to the Boarding screen when you first assign the boarding - lots of options there.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 15. May 22, 17:14

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 16:42
I just say to my marines: "Ladies, there are males in that ship that think highly of themselves." For some reason curbs go berserk ...
Mine is quite the opposite, "Lads, there are some ladies who think they own that ship. Now you know who should really be in control now, don't you?"

Works every time.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm looking forward to my next boarding action!
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Return to “X4: Foundations”