There should be a way to cancel boarding (yet another thread)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oddible
x4

There should be a way to cancel boarding (yet another thread)

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 18:22

I know it has been asked umpteen times but... there are quirks in the boarding programming. For instance, I have a condition now where some of my best trained marines can't progress past Stage 1. No idea why. Usually when this happens it is because 1 pod didn't make it or something and so they won't go on without that last dude. At this point there is zero the player can do to a) understand what the problem is so they can resolve it, or b) even resolve it in any way because it is glitched. I've deleted the boarding command out of behaviors but it continues on without anything I can do to stop it. I'm about to lose tons of vet marines because this boarding launch got glitched.

What am I missing here - what can I do to either unglitch this boarding op and get it to continue, or force it to cancel and get my marines back? There are zero turrets, the boarding is set to combat effectiveness Very Weak, and the hull is at 74% (not that this matters, I'm still in stage 1).

NEVERMIND about asking for help, found the problem, my boarding pods somehow got flung across the sector in the weird 5.x bug that keeps happening...

https://i.imgur.com/znCQact.png
Last edited by oddible on Sun, 15. May 22, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

oddible
x4

Re: There should be a way to cancel boarding (thread #213423)

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 18:46

Oh it gets better. So I said screw it and just destroyed that ship before they got to it since it was going to take forever anyway. SO THEN THE GAME FLUNG MY PODS FARTHER AROUND THE SECTOR!?!?!?

https://i.imgur.com/A095dua.png
Last edited by Terre on Sun, 15. May 22, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 18:48

Oh and because I deleted the boarding operation they don't know to go back to their ship... I lost them anyway yay.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 19:00

OK well... there is a happy ending to this saga. I had to manually transfer crew from all 25 pods to get my vets back.

Unfortunately there is no way to target and destroy all the pods so they didn't clutter up my ship list forever soi uhm... there's no way to resolve that either.

Going to manually shoot them I guess!?!?!

BLEH, turns out they're impossible to hit in space - so I guess I just have 25 pods in my ship list forever yay.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 15. May 22, 19:49

Yes it looks like you can't capture pods or shoot them. Sigh... I suppose they decided they would make the moral choice for us. I hate when games Devs do that. I've played realistic and non-realistic games that let you capture or shoot your enemy survivors- You should just suffer a big negative for your actions.

There are a lot of things that could be improved about boarding, but i want to do a few more boarding actions before I figure out what needs changing/fixing.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Sun, 15. May 22, 19:54

It's things like this that stop me from ever using Ironman in any game. If I lose, I lose and will deal with the consequences. But I won't accept failing because of a bug or oversight in game design, which is why I save before every boarding attempt.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 15. May 22, 20:01

Something have changed?

The last time that I get this bug (during the 5.00 beta), I was able to destroy the glitched pods after teleporting the marines back to the launching ship with a Katana armed with Terran pulses.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 20:10

You can kill pods that have landed on a ship - these are just floating in space. They're basically 25 ships in my log that I will now have to scroll through for the rest of my game, yay. I couldn't even assign them to each other and have them collapsed into a fleet. Basically Egosoft hasn't dealt with Boarding Pods fully yet. They're a bit of an afterthought that constantly are a problem.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 15. May 22, 20:39

The pods that I killed are floating around, and far from their target. After destroying those pods, the remaining ones, that were still attached to the target, completed their mission and the marines take the ship.

oddible
x4

Re: There should be a way to cancel boarding (yet another thread)

Post by oddible » Sun, 15. May 22, 23:03

Fortunately for me an industrious little Xenon fighter found them!

spookywatcher

Post by spookywatcher » Mon, 16. May 22, 03:42

I have complained about ships / objects magically "teleporting" to other parts of the sector in a previous thread. The devs asked for a video/example. I can't give an example because it happens at unpredictable times and I'm not going to screen record every play until it happens. It's VERY frustrating. I had a pod do the exact same thing. Had to wait forever before he made it back to the boarding area.

thijso

Post by thijso » Mon, 16. May 22, 11:17

Regardless of the specific issues talked about in this thread, there has to be a way to cancel a boarding action anyway. Why is this not something that is there already? Of course I should have the option to bail out if I want to.

Another scenario where cancelling a boarding action would help and that doesn't involve any bugs or glitches is when I as a player make a mistake.

I targetted an L miner in my Balaur, flew up right behind it and shot out the engines. Dead in the water. Then I took my time to shoot out the turrets. Sitting duck. Then I jumped to my Barbarossa and aimed it at the sitting duck and did a flyby. At the closest point I started the boarding action, then jumped back to my Balaur to keep an eye on things. And then I got greedy. Another miner jumped into the system, so I sped off to that one to blow up his engines. Only the first miner had an excellent crew and fixed the engines while I was doing that. So before the pods could land, he sped off and headed home. So when I turned my attention back to the original target it was halfway across the sector and the pods were trying to catch up. Good luck with that. So I caught up with him, shot out the engines again and then... Then what? I have to wait for the pods to mosey on over? In about an hour they might make it at their snails pace. At this point, I have exactly zero options. What the bleep, egosoft? Give me an option to cancel. I can pick up my pods, park my Barbarossa next to my target and retry.

No, not possible. I ended up loading a savegame from just before I started the action. And yes, these things make me religiously hit that save button. But that should not be necessary... :evil:

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 16. May 22, 11:38

Wait, you can't cancel boarding?
I just cancelled one the other day.
Selected the boarding ship and removed all orders. Funnily enough it then just removed all those stuck somewhere boarding pods then the boarding proceeded with the troops already on board.
Unless I'm misinterpreting what you actually want with cancel boarding.

Admiral Sausage

Post by Admiral Sausage » Mon, 16. May 22, 15:11

thijso wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 11:17
...I ended up loading a savegame from just before I started the action. And yes, these things make me religiously hit that save button. But that should not be necessary... :evil:
When you look at the boarding menu, it shows the three stages of boarding from 1-3. It would be helpful if it also showed the implicit "Stage 0 - Save".

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Mon, 16. May 22, 19:41

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 11:38
Selected the boarding ship and removed all orders. Funnily enough it then just removed all those stuck somewhere boarding pods then the boarding proceeded with the troops already on board.
So what you're saying is that you cancelled the boarding action in the behaviours tab but it proceeded anyway. This is exactly the complaint. There is no way to cancel the boarding after pods have been launched. The only way is to destroy the target ship. And even then the pods can be stuck in your ship list forever. I send them flying into a Xenon sector, but at 112kph it can take a LOT of game hours.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 16. May 22, 20:14

oddible wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 19:41
Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 11:38
So what you're saying is that you cancelled the boarding action in the behaviours tab but it proceeded anyway. This is exactly the complaint. There is no way to cancel the boarding after pods have been launched. The only way is to destroy the target ship. And even then the pods can be stuck in your ship list forever. I send them flying into a Xenon sector, but at 112kph it can take a LOT of game hours.
Only with the troops already on board.
All those pods who refused to lock on just vanished.
And not on the behavior tab. I right click on the map screen if that matters.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Mon, 16. May 22, 20:20

Sorry where exactly did you "right click on the map screen" to cancel boarding? That's a new one to me.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 16. May 22, 20:29

Have you never right clicked on a ship on the map before?
Works on your property tab too.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Mon, 16. May 22, 21:01

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 20:29
Yes but there is no "Cancel Boarding" command there. There is only "Board" which takes you to the Boarding screen where there is no Cancel option.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 17. May 22, 05:34

oddible wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 21:01
Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 20:29
Yes but there is no "Cancel Boarding" command there. There is only "Board" which takes you to the Boarding screen where there is no Cancel option.
Your ship, not their ship.
Remove all orders.

Return to “X4: Foundations”