Races problem with enemies

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Twsted
x4

Races problem with enemies

Post by Twsted » Tue, 17. May 22, 03:33

Message to the Devs in Egosoft.

I am a little baffled by the fact that when enemies come with just a few ships and start blowing up race stations, ( for example Argon & Antigone Republic )
Those races just sit back and do absolutely nothing. BUT - If I was to shoot at a station, the world cracks in half and all hell breaks lose. Why is that Egossoft ?
Each station has millions of people living in it. And tons of Argon and Antigone republic mining & trading ships going everywhere.
The Xenons are also blocking gates and when transport gates come thru, the transport ships get attacked by a Xenon destroyer and 2 P & N type fleets.

I tried to help, but I cant go up against all that firepower. But in the meantime Argon and Antigone has stations all overt the place and I am sure they have the money,
Because I have been helping them with supplies for the past 2 days and I don't see any ships coming from them helping to get rid of the threat.

I am just confused, why NPC Races are not intelligent enough to defend their stations when Xenons are attacking it,
But If I shot at it, everyone wakes up and wants to kill me.
I have seen a destroyer by itself, kill a station. I died to it 4 times now. in hopes I could help kill it. But where are the owners of this station and its military ?
Where is everybody ??

Please do something about that.
Thanks.
Software developer for a corporation. I speak Python, C#, Java, Kotlin and C++. and I love & play video games.

Axeface
x4

Re: Races problem with enemies

Post by Axeface » Tue, 17. May 22, 03:55

Twsted wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 03:33
Each station has millions of people living in it. And tons of Argon and Antigone republic mining & trading ships going everywhere.
Just want to say, this is really not correct. Spacebourne population is much smaller, even in capital sectors. Stations have hundreds or with really big ones thousands of workers. You can in fact see the spacebourne population in sector details I think.
Also, I would say that your idea that they 'do nothing' to attack isnt really correct. They do react to threat, but they are (as far as I understand it) driven by the overall picture not individual events (where the player isnt the aggressor). Thats to say that there might be a xenon capital attacking some (armed) station in argon prime, but argon have put most of its cap of fleets to defend against possible HOP attacks in 2nd contact. Im not saying the system works great, but there are reasons why its the way it is, performance being one of the big ones.

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Tue, 17. May 22, 04:48

Really? so why the Xenons now have a lot of the Argon space and 2 of the Antigone space. Those sectors are red now. But ok....
And a race allowing a destroyer to just sit there and pounce on a station until it explodes.. ok...

I am currently holding up in Blackhole Sun where I originally spawned in game. I am seeing lots of Xenons spilling over into Blackhole sun from Flashpoint,
as its a hot spot right now as Xenons are killing everything and moving up. I might have to move to Memory of Profit X,
so I can keep leveling up.

I am currently reading Second Contact which says population 7.1-Million. And only 4,533 workforce in 7 remaining stations.
Argon Prime has 8.5 Million population and only 2,891 Workforce 10 stations.

The Void, Hatikvah's Choice, Morning Star IV and III and Getsu Fune have been taken over. its outlined in red. Second Contact VII and II are also taken over.

Xenons also already taken Wreched Skies, Family Kritt, Family Zhin
Xenons are about to take over Antigone Memorial as they have already killed off 3 stations and there are 4 Xenons fleets P class and N class as well as 3 destroyers and a station by the gate.

As far as performance, most people have a Ryzen 9 5950 or the Intel equivalent of it and a RTX 3070, 3080 or 3090 and running on a M.2 drive.
We are in 2022 going towards 2023. Most gamers have a really beefed up computer with high specs. This is not the 90's anymore.
And if Egosoft used UE5, they would know about the Nanite engine that basically nullifies polygons limitations completely.
Watch this & listen to the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gry36cT3TdI&t=267s

But ok. I guess this is how the game is suppose to be. Argons and Antigone just sipping tea because all is good....LOL
Software developer for a corporation. I speak Python, C#, Java, Kotlin and C++. and I love & play video games.

oddible
x4

Re: Factions' problem with enemies

Post by oddible » Tue, 17. May 22, 05:20

Couple things, I have 2/3 your specs on your machine and the game runs awesome for me in high graphics mode so not sure what you're going on about. Sure, hundreds of hours into a game I have some performance quirks in super high volume sectors but not for a long time.

Second, this is a game where the player matters. You can deal with the Xenon however you like - if you choose to ONLY deal with them directly then you're going to be dealing with them directly the rest of the game, and they only get stronger. But that is ONLY UP UNTIL A POINT. The Xenon in the game have a cap - they can only get so strong. If you decide instead of dealing with them directly you'll supply the enemy factions wharfs and shipyards that is another possibility but again, you're going to be hand feeding the factions the entire game. Again, these are the choices the game affords you - do nothing, deal direct, or feed the military... or...

Or you could play this game with a deeper economic perspective and recognize that the Xenon are growing - as they grow they gain more stations and miners and their economy grows. If you want the factions to be able to deal with the Xenon directly then you need to grow the faction's economies. Not by feeding their military, but by feeding their TRADE. Raw materials feeds the factions economies. Pump raws into the factions and they will build stations and miners and trade fleets and their economy will be more resilient than the Xenon economy and they will push the Xenon back.

Now, if you've let the Xenon run amok in your game and you've ignored the faction economies, you can still get them built up - but you're going to have to hold off the Xenon while you do it.

Personally the condition you're in right now is SUPER COOL!!! You have the opportunity to save a crushed universe! I LOVE it when I'm pushed into a dark corner and I have to build up and push out from there - super fun. Enjoy every minute of it! Cheers!

(Also, it's "Factions" not "Races". The factions are ARG, ANT, TER, the race is human. The factions are HOP and PAR, the race is Paranid. Etc.)

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Tue, 17. May 22, 05:52

Thats exactly what i've been doing. I have a bunch of traders doing trades in the Argon and Antigone areas. I lost most of the Antigone's....LOL
I can only go but so fast. I have like 150 hours in this version of the game. I am mining crystals like a worn dog trying to build up some cash flow. and my traders are constantly trading.
But, every time a sector gets contest and taken over and turned red by the Xenons, I have to instruct all my traders not to go into that system.
The wrecks in that system is staggering. Most of them are haulers and freighters...LOL

Anyways, seems like I am being pushed towards Teladi. I don't mind, as I have ALWAYS LOVED Teladi. I wish there was a gamestart to start in Teladi space.
Anyways besides that. my map is getting crushed from the left hehe.

So I am inching towards the right. Once I see a Destroyer V in Black Hole Sun......... IM OUT..!! packing up and moving to Teladi space. lol

And its not like "I'm allowing it to happen" Its that I dont have the fire power to take care of it. I barely have cash flow let alone spare ships top kill off 4 Destroyers and 5 P fleets now in Flashpoint sector.
Starting off in this game kinda sucks compared to Terran Conflict.
I also have 1 mineral miner and 1 gas minor, a few stations needed some stuff.

If this game fails and the map gets crushed. it will be disappointing, but it will give me the opportunity to install VRO and a few other mods.

And yes, I have the game graphics to MAX and my CPU and GPU is not even coughing, and hovers around 30%. I also have 128-GB DDR4 installed.
Just in case I was not the one complaining about the performance Hehe... it was the other guy...LOL

And yes I do agree the player matters, but when the player jumps in, the player cant be expected to be having a super capital 100+ hours in.
Specially when the map is not playing nice Hehehe.

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Tue, 17. May 22, 06:01

OOh and I forgot to mention, Xenons place a Defence station next to a gate, and everyone that passes by go Kaboom.
tons of wrecks from Freighters and Transports. They currently have a new one up just now in Holy Vision.
I cant do anything about it. Then after a while, fleets of Xenons comes through the gate and hang out there. and anyone near goes Boom.
A few minutes after that, Xenon sends in their Destroyers and start killing off stations. Next thing you know, sector is gone.

Which brings me back to my first post. Where is everyone ? LOL

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Tue, 17. May 22, 07:06

Twsted wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 05:52
Anyways, seems like I am being pushed towards Teladi. I don't mind, as I have ALWAYS LOVED Teladi. I wish there was a gamestart to start in Teladi space.
There actually is one in Hewa's Twin, you may have to unlock it first. You can also do a custom game and start wherever you want. Furthermore, unless you are roleplaying, the game start does not really matter, Teladi space is just a few minutes away.

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Tue, 17. May 22, 07:17

Yaaa, next game If I dont spawn in Teladi space, I will just go there and hunker down there.
Ya I am still learning how to unlock the hidden sectors. :)

I just wish I seen more Faction defenses when enemies like Xenon come storming about.
Sometimes I catch the first attack on a factory and even a shipyard & Warf. And I sit at a distance and watch for a long time to see what happens.
Not one proper response. maybe 2 or 3 ships but by that time, Kaboom station is gone. The factions losing their resource stations like that are so passive about.
I just wish the AI was worked on more regarding this. Because I cant do everything, I don't have the capabilities yet. I would love to, but cant when I am trying to
gather myself. Its just a bit annoying and frustrating at the same time. thats all...LOL :)

oddible
x4

Re: Factions' problem with enemies

Post by oddible » Tue, 17. May 22, 21:29

So you missed all the most important parts of what I said. MINE RAW MATERIALS.

Traders just shift stuff around for the factions - this only marginally increases the resilience of factions - not enough to matter. Also trading is TERRIBLE INCOME for you especially early in the game.

Crystals are also terrible income. Fun to do or if you happen to notice some go grab them but it isn't what it used to be. Best income in the early game is picking up drops in combat zones and selling them at Trader's Corners or the Black Market.

MINING RAW MATERIALS is your best passive income early game AND it increases faction's resilience vs the Xenon. Feeding factions raws lets them build more stuff.

Ehli
x4

Post by Ehli » Thu, 19. May 22, 14:42

He does have a point though, it IS strange (in the context of immersion). I also got used to it, but e.g. sector borders are not traveled to help out, in-sector ships are sometimes just "parked" at gate 1 and not defending the K killing a station at gate 2..

It would be a nice update/feature if the AI would lump together all their defense forced as a sort of X3 RRF and react to aggression a bit more realistically. It would certainly prevent ZYA from loosing their most important (mining) sector to XEN early in the game.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 22. May 22, 12:23

Twsted wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 03:33
I am just confused, why NPC Races are not intelligent enough to defend their stations when Xenons are attacking it,
But If I shot at it, everyone wakes up and wants to kill me.
I have seen a destroyer by itself, kill a station. I died to it 4 times now. in hopes I could help kill it. But where are the owners of this station and its military ?
Where is everybody ??
I wish it were that good.

Back in 3.xx, when I was demolishing a Xenon Station, some K did pop in to make things more merry, but that might have been a coincidence -- Xenon were invading that sector, so the K's might have been on regular raid mission that just happened to place them next to us.

Recently, might still have been 4.xx I got a job to demolish an ARG Defence Platform. While I was it, ARG Defence Patrol -- Behemoth & co -- came next to me, but they remained blue even though they got some blast damage from exploding station modules. Then again, I was rep 26 or better at the time.

Now, in 5.10 I have wiped several Sol sectors from all PIO and TER stations. (I have to make PIO my friends, so I kill them all first. "Clean slate." :twisted: ) Nobody came to their help. So no, the factions do not "wake up" to player either.

Faction patrols tend to have tasks, like Protect Position. If your task is to defend area X klicks from a Gate, then that is what you do. Nothing more, nothing less. It would make sense* for a faction to have "Sector Manager", that can assign temporary tasks to military jobs within the sector.

One has to be careful how to do it though. I have a Carrier. The Carrier has Interceptors. The Carrier gives attack orders to target foes near it, but the orders expire if the target gets far from Carrier. Occasionally I give direct order to attack for the interceptors. The next moment they are three sectors away, deep in enemy territory and outnumbered, because a target chose to run away and the direct orders do not expire.

*The obvious outcome of that is that the player will do a decoy attack to draw all forces in the sector to one side and then launch the real attack on the other side -- just like we did in X3. :split:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”