Will a bigger monitor make a difference? Your views/ knowledge.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

Will a bigger monitor make a difference? Your views/ knowledge.

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 18. May 22, 21:30

I have a 28inch monitor. Had it for a long time. Never failed me. Like it.

However, playing X4, everything feels too small. In many ways it's like a spread sheet that needs a bigger surface to see everything (and click everything) effectively. Ships and views don't feel 'big' enough... Maybe it's cos I usually play VR. I dunno.

Would say, a 34 inch widescreen monitor improve things or just make everything seem even tinier? Never had a 34 inch, so I tell her. :wink:

Thanks in advance.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

jlehtone
x4

Re: Will a bigger monitor make a difference? Your views/ knowledge.

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 18. May 22, 21:48

"28inch" does not tell the "whole picture". What resolution?
Some mobile phones are about 6inch, yet have 2560x1440. I had a 27inch 2560x1440.
I've seen both 24inch and 27inch 1920x1080 screens and some 50inch TVs have that same resolution.
Viewing distance affects too.

Apparently the game can scale its UI, but I gave not tried.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 18. May 22, 21:52

Good point, I forgot about that.
I'm on 1920 by 1080... 60hz. Anything higher seems too tiny...
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 18. May 22, 22:08

So, about 0.32mm * 0.32mm pixels. There might exist 38.5inch 2560x1440 screens. Those have 0.33mm * 0.33mm pixels. That would be about same or tiny bit larger than what you have now, but 77% more pixels.

Theoretically, bringing your eyeballs closer to the screen makes things look larger.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 18. May 22, 22:12

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 22:08
So, about 0.32mm * 0.32mm pixels. There might exist 38.5inch 2560x1440 screens. Those have 0.33mm * 0.33mm pixels. That would be about same or tiny bit larger than what you have now, but 77% more pixels.
Thanks.

jlehtone wrote:
Theoretically, bringing your eyeballs closer to the screen makes things look larger.
Sure. Though not exactly helpful. So easy to be sarcastic on the net isn't it?

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Wed, 18. May 22, 22:23

I went from non hd resolution to my 34“ 3440:1440p 21:9 ultra wide curved a few years ago. And I’ll probably never go back to a 16:9 resolution even though quite a few AAA games don’t support ultra wide, which means black bars on either sides.
X4 does support Ultra wide and it does increase your field of view. I also can comfortably use the map while having both, the left and right info pane, open. Higher resolution will make things smaller naturally. That’s were zoom (browser/office work) and UI scale helps. Keep in mind that you also need the hardware to support higher/ultra wide resolution.

Maybe an image will help you a bit to judge if ultra wide is what you want? :)
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... rbox=false

Edit: added a few images. Keep in mind, some of them are not 3440:1440 but a bit smaller because i usually play window mode.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 18. May 22, 22:35

Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 22:12
jlehtone wrote:
I was thinking on some online debates, where one party claims that small screen near face looks same as large screen (same resolution) far away, and the other party did vehemently disagree. All setups do not allow adjusting viewing distance much. For example, the VR has it quite fixed?

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Wed, 18. May 22, 22:38

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 22:35
Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 22:12
jlehtone wrote:
I was thinking on some online debates, where one party claims that small screen near face looks same as large screen (same resolution) far away, and the other party did vehemently disagree. All setups do not allow adjusting viewing distance much. For example, the VR has it quite fixed?
VR needs to be configured individually to your eyes with correct IPD. The lenses are always pretty close but depending on the headset you have some room for distance adjustments.

But comparing VR with normal screens isn’t gonna lead anywhere :)

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Wed, 18. May 22, 23:21

I play on a wall mount 65" TV running 3840x2160 resolution and sitting about 6ft away ... (I have the gaming rig necessary to support this)

I read somewhere that the human eye can't distinguish all the 4K detail unless sitting within 6Ft of a large screen ... so I do.

It's not full peripheral vision, but it is close enough that I feel more like I'm in the game as opposed to playing through a small window.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 19. May 22, 08:06

I use a 4K 50" TV monitor @3840x2160. I sit about 3 ft away. I do that because it forces me to move my head side to side, which helps mitigate eyestrain from staring in a fixed position all the time. It's also because that's the range of my computer glasses. As a result, I spend waayyy too much time playing X4, at least according to my wife. :lol:

My current computer was bought to run Rebirth way back when that game was released, so that gives you an idea of it's age, although I have upgraded RAM and video since then.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 20. May 22, 20:46

Well, I went away for a while (sorry missed all the resulting chat) and answered my own question and it's yes, yes, a bigger monitor or tv-monitor makes a huge difference.

Fly by a planet and you FEEL like you're by a planet. Also menus are a lot easier to get at. I am...pleased. :D

Twsted
x4

Post by Twsted » Sat, 21. May 22, 02:06

I am still waiting for triple monitor support.
I own (3) 32-inch monitors 1440p. I am wondering how will it look like sitting in the pilot's chair with that setup.
I plan on buying a 4th monitor also 32 inch 1440p and put it on top of the middle monitor, So I can have a view above me. :)
Software developer for a corporation. I speak Python, C#, Java, Kotlin and C++. and I love & play video games.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 21. May 22, 12:10

Twsted wrote:
Sat, 21. May 22, 02:06
I am still waiting for triple monitor support.
I own (3) 32-inch monitors 1440p. I am wondering how will it look like sitting in the pilot's chair with that setup.
I plan on buying a 4th monitor also 32 inch 1440p and put it on top of the middle monitor, So I can have a view above me. :)
That sounds like a very sweet set up. Almost VR! You'll be well immersed.

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Sun, 22. May 22, 22:23

Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 21:30

However, playing X4, everything feels too small. In many ways it's like a spread sheet that needs a bigger surface to see everything (and click everything) effectively. Ships and views don't feel 'big' enough... Maybe it's cos I usually play VR. I dunno.

Would say, a 34 inch widescreen monitor improve things or just make everything seem even tinier? Never had a 34 inch, so I tell her. :wink:

Thanks in advance.
I am running a 40 inch 4k TV at the far end of a 42 inch square table.
Typically, I use it in 1920x1080 but for X4 I run at 3840x2160.
A 1060 works surprisingly well at this resolution in most circumstances with Antialiasing and Ansiotropic Filtering turned off.
The aspect ratio is similar to a smaller monitor closer to the eyes like on a desk.
Since it is farther away, it's easier on the eyes for focus to relieve eye strain.
After a few years, I am seeing some burn-in. Smaller pixels seem to be more susceptible.
The TV is several years old so this may or may not be an issue if you choose to go this route.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 23. May 22, 11:55

Diroc wrote:
Sun, 22. May 22, 22:23
Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 21:30

Thanks in advance.
I am running a 40 inch 4k TV at the far end of a 42 inch square table.
Typically, I use it in 1920x1080 but for X4 I run at 3840x2160.
A 1060 works surprisingly well at this resolution in most circumstances with Antialiasing and Ansiotropic Filtering turned off.
The aspect ratio is similar to a smaller monitor closer to the eyes like on a desk.
Since it is farther away, it's easier on the eyes for focus to relieve eye strain.
After a few years, I am seeing some burn-in. Smaller pixels seem to be more susceptible.
The TV is several years old so this may or may not be an issue if you choose to go this route.
A bit late, but Thanks. I did actually go your route, more or less.

Return to “X4: Foundations”