[suggestion] equipment targeting toggle

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

[suggestion] equipment targeting toggle

Post by LameFox » Sat, 25. Jun 22, 11:49

Targeting ship equipment (turrets, shields) remains one of the clunkiest common experiences I have in X4. To sit and cycle through a high volume of things, during combat, is just bad. I would very much enjoy never doing it again. Yet clicking on them is still highly unreliable even when, to me, it appears there is nothing in the way.

So I propose a toggle, that when activated will let me ONLY select surface elements on the currently selected ship—ignoring entirely the ship geometry itself. So if I want I can even point at a turret on the far side of the ship, click, and get that turret.

Actually, I thought 'lock target' might do this, but when I gave it a binding it... does nothing. What's up with that? It won't even prevent retargeting which sounds like the exact function it is for. What is its purpose?
***modified***

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: [suggestion] equipment targeting toggle

Post by Dj_FRedy » Sat, 25. Jun 22, 20:14

I was thinking about this not long ago and with the scripting system that menus have I might also suggest creating an 'action' for the 'Interact Menu'. While not ideal for selecting a 'particular' surface element, it does narrow it down quite a bit and at the same time gives a quick idea of which element is active and which could be selected next.
The design is based on retrieving all surface elements from a ship 'l' or 'xl' not owned by the player, displaying them along with their 'hull/shield' values and setting a selection.
This is a screenshot of my personal functional mod to illustrate my approach: https://imgur.com/EOcEio0
Together with the 'Next/Previous surface elements' shortcuts, for me, it complements quite well.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 08:44

Dj_FRedy wrote:
Sat, 25. Jun 22, 20:14
This is a screenshot of my personal functional mod
Great work! Current Hotkeys is not enough.

Maybe, on map all L and XL should have submenu with surface elements (with health/shield bars and possibility to target them) just near "Docked" submenu.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 28. Jun 22, 04:35

Finally @LameFox posts a thread that is a legit problem ;)

Agreed. Weird thing is that clicking on them worked perfectly in Rebirth, using the same engine, why did they break it!?!??! What is happening is the Ship hit box is higher in the Z-order than the surface elements so if that box is in the way (which is almost always is cuz you're close) then you're going to click the ship and not the hard point.

Return to “X4: Foundations”