Attack Test: Patch 3.20 vs 5.10... Incomprehensible result (Video)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Attack Test: Patch 3.20 vs 5.10... Incomprehensible result (Video)

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 14:56

Hello everyone!

A long time ago (during patch 4.0 or so) I reported some anomalous behavior during attacks on Xenon stations, although I can confirm that the problem extends to any other station.
Today I reviewed an old video I had made in patch 3.20, where I was performing a direct attack on a Xenon station with a team of 20 fighters armed with mortar blasters.
Since it's been a long time, I tried to recover that old save to test it with the current official 5.10 HF3 game version (so no beta).
Unfortunately it is not exactly the same position as that attack, but the fighter squadron used is more or less the same and the Xenon station is the current one, where instead of pulse defensive turrets there are laser turrets.
But this does not matter for the purposes of the test...

The Eclipse are the same with that attack with a few less, just as the Balaur are the same with a few more units, but all in all the attack strength is practically identical.
I then made a new video repeating the same attack on the Xenon station in a very similar way but the results were chilling.

3.20 Station Attack

5.10 Station Attack

While in patch 3.20 something like 90% of the shots were hitting as it should be, in the video made with the 5.10 it is clearly seen that over 50% of the shots fired go into cosmic nothingness.

What the heck has happened all this time? Where did the 3.20 attack scripts go?
Why hasn't this problem been solved yet despite the myriad of patches and fixes that have been done over the years?
Why does this game's improvements occasionally go backwards instead of forwards?

Sorry for the complaint, but often some things are really inexplicable. Thanks for your attention :roll:
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Attack Test: Patch 3.20 vs 5.10... Incomprehensible result (Video)

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 15:58

Let me start by saying that I don't know the answer that you are seeking. However, there have long been complaints that fighters get far too close to stations before turning away and retreating for a while before turning back at the target station. They often fire while turning if in weapon range and so may be quite likely to miss with those important first and/or last volleys. They will approach in a straight line without evading return fire until they turn away again and repeat.

That all said, any version changes made in when to fire, choice of aimpoint, approach method/speed, minimum distance kept from target, distance to retreat before turn back to target, range of weapons, cooldown and refire rate of weapons, etc could make a big difference to the overall attack mechanism.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 17:47

Hi Alan, thanks for the reply.

I'll take you to see these old stories ...

viewtopic.php?p=4973838#p4973838

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=430684

Even today, nothing seems to have been solved.
That's why I wrote again after all this time :)

I point out that the problem manifested itself from 3.30 onwards, since the attack movements of the 3.20 (as shown in the video), were perfect.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 04:27

It's entirely possible this has nothing to do with the scripts.

In a mature universe with lots of ships, watching a battle OOS via the map, I've had very low framerate slide shows greater than 1 second between frames. Xenon fighters accumulated around my gate defense stations and their destroyer defense fleets. The Xenon ships died slower than they accumulated.

After a large selloff of ships, the framerate was better (Not graphic frame rate, map update frame rate) and updating fluidly while I watched the same area. Accuracy also went up exponentially.
The mass of Xenon figher ships was quickly cleaned up by the defense forces.

This behavior change is with the same build (Same scripts) separated by the time it takes to sell off hundreds of ships from the property tab and have them get deconstructed at shipyards.

How the simulation handles allocation of processing resources for combat may have changed between builds and the scripts may be the same.
There are other factors to consider before saying "Where did the 3.20 attack scripts go?"
It could be a problem with how the engine handles the simulation.
I don't recall if 3.20 was before the great engine re-code or not.

Anyway.. something to think about.

Return to “X4: Foundations”