Protectyon sale : where to build the station ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KhorsKan
x4

Protectyon sale : where to build the station ?

Post by KhorsKan » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 11:13

Hello,

I wanted to know where most of you (for those concerned) have built their station for the Protectyon sale ?
In the nearest VIG area or in the middle of the stations that need Protectyon ?

Last question : is it really worth building a station for this ?

Thanks.

LameFox
x4

Re: Protectyon sale : where to build the station ?

Post by LameFox » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 11:59

I'm planning to borrow 2/3 VIG sectors while they hate me for plot reasons, so probably Windfall III. Since Avarice is all one 'gate' away it should not matter at all to put it outside, even a low level manager could cover it.
***modified***

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 16:50

Personally can't see the point, demand levels are so loooow
(except the 'break roid = civilian owned, so no rep. increase there).

Might as well just do a manual sell 'run round' every few hours or so,
when they've used up what you sold them last time.

What's the point in owning Windfall?,
you can't e.g. alter the illegal Food rule even if you do.

KhorsKan
x4

Post by KhorsKan » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 18:13

LameFox wrote:
Wed, 29. Jun 22, 11:59
(...) probably Windfall III. Since Avarice is all one 'gate' away it should not matter at all to put it outside, even a low level manager could cover it.
Yes I agree.

exogenesis wrote:
Wed, 29. Jun 22, 16:50
Personally can't see the point, demand levels are so loooow
(except the 'break roid = civilian owned, so no rep. increase there).

Might as well just do a manual sell 'run round' every few hours or so,
when they've used up what you sold them last time.

What's the point in owning Windfall?,
you can't e.g. alter the illegal Food rule even if you do.
I started building my station but I also came to the same conclusion.
I really feel like this part of the scenario (end of PLOT) has been completely left out.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 15:33

Protectyon selling is waste of time, but overall the systems are basically a better Mercury/Saturn 2 both yield and location-wise relative to other factions. With the cost being having to top up Protectyon for the stations utilizing that crazy sun yield.

When you compare Avarice SPP and Mercury SPP logistically, it's easy to see why it's great.
Scrap on the other hand would necessitate longer chains and hauling back foods/meds (no need to bother getting staff bonus for SPP since it's 13.9x already).

There's no need to own them.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 16:45

magitsu wrote:
Thu, 30. Jun 22, 15:33
Protectyon selling is waste of time, but overall the systems are basically a better Mercury/Saturn 2 both yield and location-wise relative to other factions. With the cost being having to top up Protectyon for the stations utilizing that crazy sun yield.

When you compare Avarice SPP and Mercury SPP logistically, it's easy to see why it's great.
Scrap on the other hand would necessitate longer chains and hauling back foods/meds (no need to bother getting staff bonus for SPP since it's 13.9x already).

There's no need to own them.
I would also suggest setting repeat orders with aux ships or something to transfer those EC out into a station in Windfall for further distribution. That way you can blacklist Avarice and not lose random ships there from time to time.
I mean sure you could mod ships to trade in Avarice, but with the output of a SPP in Avarice, you'll need to mod a whole lot of M traders unless you use Ls to trade. Which might not be a bad idea tbh, Barbarossas are fast with good cargo. Though I would throw on a green mod or something to avoid them taking hull damage, could be annoying.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Fri, 1. Jul 22, 22:01

The biggest problem with Protectyon selling is the poorly thought-out mechanic. So basically the player has to sit there waiting, sometimes up to an hour, for a Tide, which doesn't have any other announcements in the game unless you're in-sector (so for instance you couldn't go do other things than teleport in to pop through the anomaly). Of all the cumbersome mechanics in the game, this one takes the cake.

Curious, after you finish that storyline, will the twins keep delivering Protectyon or is it all up to the player now? If I never make a Protectyon run will all AI stations in Avarice get destroyed?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 02:17

There should've been an option to turn the Protectyon production and distribution over to the Riptiders in Avarice. That would've been the best and most logical conclusion to the plot, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 11:14

Nanook wrote:
Sat, 2. Jul 22, 02:17
There should've been an option to turn the Protectyon production and distribution over to the Riptiders in Avarice. That would've been the best and most logical conclusion to the plot, IMO.
Agreed. Particularly, since the plot makes reference to income inequality. Would’ve been nice to have the option of helping the disenfranchised folks get the upper hand.

KhorsKan
x4

Post by KhorsKan » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 12:33

oddible wrote:
Fri, 1. Jul 22, 22:01
The biggest problem with Protectyon selling is the poorly thought-out mechanic. So basically the player has to sit there waiting, sometimes up to an hour, for a Tide, which doesn't have any other announcements in the game unless you're in-sector (so for instance you couldn't go do other things than teleport in to pop through the anomaly). Of all the cumbersome mechanics in the game, this one takes the cake.(...)
Completely agree, and again on the condition of seeing the "lightning" around the anomaly to pass ... it’s been three times that I let pass, despite myself, a wave without being able to go to the other side ... :evil:

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 15:41

oddible wrote:
Fri, 1. Jul 22, 22:01
The biggest problem with Protectyon selling is the poorly thought-out mechanic. So basically the player has to sit there waiting, sometimes up to an hour, for a Tide, which doesn't have any other announcements in the game unless you're in-sector (so for instance you couldn't go do other things than teleport in to pop through the anomaly). Of all the cumbersome mechanics in the game, this one takes the cake.

Curious, after you finish that storyline, will the twins keep delivering Protectyon or is it all up to the player now? If I never make a Protectyon run will all AI stations in Avarice get destroyed?
I really am disappointed with the DLC too. Out of all them, this one is the most poorly thought out. Natural wrecks in certain sectors only respawn, when you are in sector. Cool new weapons can not reverse engineered onto other ships and locked behind two ships. The lack of ships and aesthetics of them in general. Don't care about rough looking ships, but please make them symmetrical at least.

Even if they wanted this new way of getting to Leap of faith, I don't see a reason, why you can't have an AI pilots automatically fly through the anomaly after the Tide. Heck, lock it even behind a 4 star pilot or have the player build special relay stations, but don't make it so tedious. Especially without the global warning as you said.
Not everybody is willing to prepare multiple raptors, each with 100 realeighs to then manually park them in Leap of faith.

But at least, the Tidebreak station always seems to generates some Protectyon on its own, even if you don't procure it after the plot. This is probably hardcoded, so RIP doesn't die off without the player.
I only did the plot for the Astrids and eradicated VIG for better performance. Couldn't care less about RIP dying off, but they survive, even if they only have 6 stations in all of Avarice.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 19:35

I don't mind that I have to go myself to Leap of Faith but I wish they had put ANY functionality into the game to make it not terribly annoying and time consuming and boring. After all the DLC and years of me saying that there is zero reason to use SETA because the game has so much to do in it, they finally gave me a reason to use SETA (that's not a good thing Egosoft!).

I suspect what happened here is they let the designer who designed Rebirth make a DLC and we got ToA, huge wastes of time, player has to be there for everything, bad information display, poorly thought through mechanics.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 28. Jul 22, 01:31

I took an 8 month break, recently came back to playing and ive only now spent aboit 24 hours with ToA, and i really like some elements of it... but some other things are just so poorly thought out.

Ive read some spoilers online, and the protectyon thing sounds like im just going to do the storyline once, get the achievements, and then reload to back when the AI handled delivery to stations. I can't be bothered to sit on a tide and grab protectyon every so often, that just sounds terrible... especially making it mandatory.

The whole tide thing is annoying too because my pilots and my single station are apparently idiots who love watching co-workers die. Im of a mind to just scuttle my station in avarice and ignore the system.

Return to “X4: Foundations”