Still Argon Flack?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Damian Swift
x4

Still Argon Flack?

Post by Damian Swift » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 11:12

Last time I played the rule seemed to be that any M sized or smaller turret you use Argon Flack (L turrets usually plasma)
Has this changed with the latest few updates?

jlehtone
x4

Re: Still Argon Flack?

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 11:39

Interestingly, X4Starter did just post some fresh test results: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=448501
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 4. Jul 22, 00:15

ARG M Flak is still king/queen of the M turrets. At least until next major update when SPL Flak is finally being fixed.

There is some argument for M beam if you need consistent chip damage, or anti-missile. There is some argument for M plasma if you want to min max anti-capital damage for example on a Raptor. There is some argument for ARG M Pulse Laser if you want more area covered.

With L turrets it largely depends on ship. SPL/PAR Plasma is still the anti-capital choice. However on Terran ships or slots which are not anti-capital focused there is the choice of TER L Pulse Laser for anti fighter and general damage. TER L Beam is more reliable at hitting S ships and missiles at the cost of struggling to output enough damage against tougher targets. TER L Bolt sacrifices some accuracy for a bit more anti-capital damage but usually not enough to justify their use.

There are also various missile turrets which have justified use cases. Missile turrets usually manage superior DPS than normal M turrets so can turn ships like raptors into insane DPS machines. However such ships do need to be reloaded.

Needless to say if the Erlking is involved its unique turrets are best in slot and best in the game. Their damage, accuracy and range is all unmatched among the turrets with the L turrets literally being plasma turrets with pulse laser accuracy and the M turrets being bolt turrets with L turret damage and range and pulse laser accuracy. These turrets shred everything very fast, even when operating at long range so suffering large damage reduction due to their mechanics.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 4. Jul 22, 18:57

Prefer a full set of beams myself (both L + M).

I don't use L plasma - don't like my destroyers to go that close to enemy stations. Some of my enemies use L plasma turrets & often have far more of them on their stations than my fleet can possibly fit (e.g.https://www.dropbox.com/s/npwt9i2ny53l6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0).

As for flak, it's a bit too noisy for my tastes & also have friendly fire concerns. Don't want to risk catching friendly NPC fighters in the blast radius if they're chasing an enemy ship that my turrets are firing upon. Don't have any such worries with beams & they provide an adequate level of anti-fighter defences for my capital ships.

Only exceptions are destroyers I'll be flying personally. Often fit them with at least 1 tracking missile turret. Like to carry a small number of S fighters on my personal destroyers (they usually operate without carrier support). If I fit a missile turret I can keep a convenient stockpile of missiles in my destroyer from which to reload those fighters.

Return to “X4: Foundations”