Can I pay for a FPS DLC?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can I pay for a FPS DLC?

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 10:26

As far as I am aware most of those command line options do not exist or they do not do anything.

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 13:03

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 31. Jul 22, 10:26
As far as I am aware most of those command line options do not exist or they do not do anything.
This thread listed all of what was used and also documented a few: viewtopic.php?t=434569#p5020006

Code: Select all

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES
I wish this one would work. It seems to have been been explained hundreds of times, the design of X4 is firstly a sim, and it's far too complex to run the sim portion among multiple threads.

What about big ship battles? I want to believe that flag improves performance for big ship battles, but like you said, I doubt that works as well.

It was already mentioned of the issues with 3D pathfinding and there was one solution mentioned. Let's say that 3D pathfinding was no longer an issue in X4. What other games could be used as a reference for what's obtainable in the best case scenario for a massive battle among dozens or hundreds of ships? Can't use EVE Online or any MMO as mentioned earlier, those types of games aren't a 1-to-1 comparison.

If 3D pathfinding is a zero performance hit, then it may be comparable to a 2D game, minus the overhead from the sim. I've both a 2D and a 3D example that handles it very well, the 3D one is free to test. These games when tested have a good amount of distributed load among all cores.

3D - Star Swarm Stress Test
2D - Ashes of Singularity: Escalation

The Engine was created in a time before time, using AMD Mantle, a dead non cross-platform predecessor to Vulkan. I've never seen anything like it. So I investigated:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020706/N ... ent-Engine
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BradWar ... nguage.php
https://forums.stardock.com/495413/star ... ame-engine
https://oxidegames.com/products/nitrous-2/
https://oxidegames.com/2014/05/21/the-n ... hics-apis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/co ... _arrrrrgh/

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 13:04

Blitz4 wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 23:01
Testing some more. I keep getting similar results.

https://imgur.com/a/CYX8zNy

The sn850 SSD is dedicated to X4. Note that the screen of the game is the default Young Gun start, I just ran to the platform and left the game run for 5-10 mins.

My launch options:

Code: Select all

-skipintro -noantialiasing -nocompress -nodefaultlog -nosoundthrottle -noworkshopsync -offline -showfps -malloc=system -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -high -novsync
Some posts suggest to use a command line option to use a low-overhead AA, but my GPU is twiddling it's thumbs, so I opted to instead use AA on the GPU and listed the options in the screens. Video of what those settings mean.

One stat that's key is the Frametime, you can see in the screen of X4, polled at 100ms intervals, that is is always above 20ms. Why do I keep mentioning 20ms? Because of John Carmack.

Starfield is the next game that will bring more players to X4, if there's a proper marketing campaign to capitalize on it, Starfield players are likely going to include a lot of sub-20ms FPS gamers. I'd love if X4 could become more popular.
As Imperial says, I only know a few of those options, but they are not necessary for performance purposes.
Also I believe you have fiddled too much with nvidia's 3D settings. I'm pretty sure the drop in performance is due to that. I would bring everything back to standard and use the game options for graphical changes.
From the screen I could see that in your configuration there is the 2080. But what is your processor? And what is the speed and CL times of your ram memories?
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 23:08

Blitz4 wrote:
Sun, 31. Jul 22, 13:03
This thread listed all of what was used and also documented a few: viewtopic.php?t=434569#p5020006
Which as the following thread explains, many do not exist...
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=447934
CBJ wrote:Of the command line parameters you have listed, only -nocputhrottle is actually even read by the game. Enabling this option will make the game run faster when in the background, but at the obvious cost of potentially stealing performance from whatever application is running in the foreground. That's why it's not enabled by default.

For reasons that should be pretty obvious, we don't hide performance improvements behind command line parameters. In general, command line parameters will switch features or optimisations OFF, for testing and debugging purposes.
For this reason I recommend no command line parameters for the optimal experience unless you explicitly need some of the features such as running full speed in the background (some people like to keep X4 running while they do other things) or logging (used by modders and for bug reporting).

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 18:34

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 31. Jul 22, 23:08
For this reason I recommend no command line parameters for the optimal experience unless you explicitly need some of the features such as running full speed in the background (some people like to keep X4 running while they do other things) or logging (used by modders and for bug reporting).
Except for -skipintro....Get to playing faster :D
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:38

Duncaroos wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 18:34
Except for -skipintro....Get to playing faster
Not anymore from what I can tell. You can now escape the intro and then still need to wait a period for it to load. If you do not skip the intro the loading happens in the background.

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 01:56

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:38
Duncaroos wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 18:34
Except for -skipintro....Get to playing faster
Not anymore from what I can tell. You can now escape the intro and then still need to wait a period for it to load. If you do not skip the intro the loading happens in the background.
Oh I see, I'm going to assume I didn't see this and pretend I get to playing faster by auto-skipping the Egosoft intro :lol:
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 23:12

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 31. Jul 22, 23:08
unless you explicitly need some of the features
I need sound in the background! I'm using -nosoundthrottle. I lost a lot of ships because I didn't know I was being attacked...

Return to “X4: Foundations”