I keep losing calls because I have my map open...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Thu, 28. Jul 22, 15:29

I keep losing calls because I have my map open... How do you guys deal with it? I thought maybe having the call monitor over the map too? But then it can get in the way... I don't know...

af_2017
x4

Re: I keep losing calls because I have my map open...

Post by af_2017 » Thu, 28. Jul 22, 16:57

jojorne wrote:
Thu, 28. Jul 22, 15:29
I guess it is in 5.0 they decided to ignore some calls when user in map.
jojorne wrote:
How do you guys deal with it?
I hate it and trying to build my gameplay not relying on the communication.
jojorne wrote:
I thought maybe having the call monitor over the map too? But then it can get in the way... I don't know...
You are correct that the communications feature in such full scale game as X4 requires fundamental and solid design.
But devs are struggling constantly on the way.
The design as always full of hot plugs and "elegant solutions".
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:06

Have to say, I’m missing log window in map mode too. It’s ridiculous, we have to switch three windows to get full info!

blackphoenixx

Post by blackphoenixx » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:24

jojorne wrote:
I keep losing calls because I have my map open... How do you guys deal with it? I thought maybe having the call monitor over the map too? But then it can get in the way... I don't know...
Assuming it's an attack warning i hit pause and open the log to see which ship was attacked where. Which i'd have to do even if the map wasn't open, so the call monitor really doesn't matter.
Anything else i ignore, if it's important for a quest or an ongoing problem they'll call again.

You could do the same for any other call, but i've mostly got them disabled. I don't need to know every time someone encounters a pirate or lockbox and does what i've told them to do via the default behavior.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 13:47

blackphoenixx wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:24
I don't need to know every time someone encounters a pirate or lockbox and does what i've told them to do via the default behavior.
For lockbox, it's possible to disable this warning notification. I did it. And I think, the same for pirate attacks.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 16:30

I want the monitors not only for when the map is open but for when I'm docked or sitting in the navigation chair or gunnery too!!! :cry:

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 17:06

Can't you just quickly hit the button on your keyboard/joystick to remove the map and catch the message while it's still up?
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 19:10

Only if you're very, very quick and aren't in the middle of doing some other critical action.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 18:02

jojorne wrote:
Press F to responds.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Drumma

Post by Drumma » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 22:48

A lot of these comments regarding the alert/comm systems in X4 frustrate me too.
I think the communication methods in X4 need a good review and mod/add (imho) to allow me time to read and respond.
I mentioned in another thread; when one of my ships asks for Immediate Assistance (and I'm preoccupied), it takes me valuable seconds to hunt down where and what ship is needing help.

Give me a small box somewhere near the corners of the screen that stays up for a few seconds so I have time to review it and make decisions (i.e., 7 to 10 seconds before it clears with a cancel button I can close it with).

Good discussion. Keep it up. Have a nice day

Return to “X4: Foundations”