Lose control of a battle, Capital Ships leave the battle unprompted.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Polofix

Lose control of a battle, Capital Ships leave the battle unprompted.

Post by Polofix » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 10:25

Hello,

I have the problem that during a battle my destroyers, battleships or carriers think they have to leave the battle with 99% hull left and fly to the supply ship to be repaired.
I have also tried to turn down or off the automatic supply of each ship, but they still fly to the supply ships at 99%.

How can I prevent this? Is the only way to remove the supply command from the supply ship?

It would be nice if you could set at what hull damage the ships fly to the supply ship.

LameFox
x4

Re: Lose control of a battle, Capital Ships leave the battle unprompted.

Post by LameFox » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:55

I haven't had that happen during a battle before (I agree though it should be possible to set a retreat hull %). Is it possible that the particular engagement roles of those ships didn't leave them with any targets?
***modified***

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:59

Polofix wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 10:25
How can I prevent this? Is the only way to remove the supply command from the supply ship?
You can override supply order per ship and set them to "off".
Obviously you need to care of their repairing manually with the setting.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 14:11

af_2017 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:59
Polofix wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 10:25
You can override supply order per ship and set them to "off".
Obviously you need to care of their repairing manually with the setting.
As I wrote above, that's what I did. (Right tab, individual instructions for the ship). But the ships didn't care, they still flew away for repair.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 15:15

Any MOD?

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 22:57

flywlyx wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 15:15
Any MOD?
Yes, some. Is there anything known that such behavior occurs with mods?

Kintanar
x4

Post by Kintanar » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 23:24

I don't think it has something to do with the resupply setting, i have it set as "High" and i am not having this issue.

I think it has more to do with the global behavior settings.

Specifically with the global behavior setting when a ship is attacked, i guess you have it set as the default "escape", so that could be the cause your ships are leaving the battle so early.

I have it set the default global behavior as "escape", but for military ships that is not very convenient, so for each military capital ship I set it individually as "retaliate", but in this case they will fight until death, which is not very convenient also, so i am using now "use your judgment" option.

PD: Excuse my english please.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 06:09

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 12:55
I haven't had that happen during a battle before (I agree though it should be possible to set a retreat hull %). Is it possible that the particular engagement roles of those ships didn't leave them with any targets?
Are they allowed to fly to the supply ship when they no longer have an active role to be repaired there when that command is not active? The roles are on attack with the command ship. That should not be the problem.
Kintanar wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 23:24

Specifically with the global behavior setting when a ship is attacked, i guess you have it set as the default "escape", so that could be the cause your ships are leaving the battle so early.
They don't flee (is turned off), I would see that on the small icon, they fly to the supply ship and have their 99% hull repaired (which also takes a long time with docking and turning maneuvers).

I observed this again yesterday. My fleet gets the order to fly through a gate. At the gate exit, the large fleet encounters a few fighters. 80% of the fleet continues to fly to the destination, 20% (2 battleships and two destroyers) stop at the gate with the supply ship and join the repair queue. This resulted in too few ships arriving at the objective point, weakened against multiple K's and I's.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 07:29

Polofix wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 06:09
Are they allowed to fly to the supply ship when they no longer have an active role to be repaired there when that command is not active? The roles are on attack with the command ship. That should not be the problem.
I think they can. Fleet AI is a bit weird, they have their very individual, narrow instructions to follow and that is all they care about. So if your command ship briefly had no targets, it's possible they got the repair order, and then went to carry it out even though it quickly acquired new targets.

A similar issue occurs with fighters set to intercept. They will go out and kill some things, then get the order to return to the carrier. But at that moment, new things fly into the intercept range. The fighters get no update on this, they don't care, they just fly back to the carrier. Even if they are followed and attacked, they still don't respond, just keep flying back. Only after landing will they get a new order to go attack things in range.
***modified***

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 07:37

Hmm, I'll test that, but what goes against that is the fact that when I remove the docking and repair commands of the battleships, immediately repair commands are auto-generated again. It doesn't matter what behavior the ships have, defense or attack. If I delete the repair orders, new repair orders are automatically generated within one second.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 10:51

Polofix wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 22:57
flywlyx wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 15:15
Any MOD?
Yes, some. Is there anything known that such behavior occurs with mods?
Not exactly, but it is known that mods can mess with things beyond what their description suggests.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 12:05

Polofix wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 14:11
As I wrote above, that's what I did. (Right tab, individual instructions for the ship). But the ships didn't care, they still flew away for repair.
Sorry for that.

Speeking abouts mods, are those npc captains 5 star pilots?..
I use mod for faster npc skill level up, my npc captains are 5 star pilots, and I have observed same behavior.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:05

The captains have mostly 5 stars.

I use this Mod:

DFun Skills Increasing (DFSI)

viewtopic.php?t=417327

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 17:16

Polofix wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:05
The captains have mostly 5 stars.

I use this Mod:

DFun Skills Increasing (DFSI)

viewtopic.php?t=417327
Then it's worth trying replacing them with 1-2-3 stars captains to check if they still will leave for repairs.
The behavior could be by design for skilled captains.
Nobody complains because no one has 5 stars pilots in vanilla in combat ships. Most likely players will assign them to auto traders/miners.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 19:07

Thanks for the tip. I will try that and then report. That would be a really wacky thing.

Return to “X4: Foundations”