No usable wrecks found in range — is it failure, really?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

No usable wrecks found in range — is it failure, really?

Post by LameFox » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:26

Some of the failed orders have always been a bit irritating to me, putting what looks like urgent orange text on my ships for things that the ship normally resolves on its own. But "No usable wrecks found in range"? That stands out as uniquely not worth knowing. It's just the nature of salvage that there are lulls between battles and sometimes my ships stationed in that area will not find anything. Is that really the order "failing" if it's working exactly as should be expected? :gruebel:
***modified***

magitsu
x4

Re: No usable wrecks found in range — is it failure, really?

Post by magitsu » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 16:16

Can they see the area where they are supposed to find wrecks? If it doesn't get traversed by your other ships or have satellite then it might be the reason.
Otherwise it can also be due to relatively slow speed of processing wrecks. You usually don't need more than 2 Manticores per scrapper.

Here's one interesting somewhat related case:
"The systems with big, environmental wreck fields can also be mined by Tuetas for scrap (Rhy's defiance, Matrix #79B, Scale Plate Green 1, etc). Getting them to identify the wrecks properly when OOS is a bit finnicky, but it works fine IS." https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... &context=3
So there seem to be occasional hiccups like that message suggests between OOS/IS identifying.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 18:04

That's not what I mean. The thing is the sector is simply clear of viable wrecks, and will be until more ships die. Yet the game considers this a failure of the order even though it's just a thing that's bound to keep happening in between attacks.
***modified***

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 19:08

Ive had manticores with 3 star pilots in Silent Witness and Windfall(central sector)... set to auto salvage and they find nothing. Scrap cubes are sitting unclaimed within radar range and you can see em on the map. Just roaming about endlessly looking for scrap when its right next to them or a sector away. If i assign them to my scrap plant in avarice, they do fine.

So i am missing something with them, must they be attached to a station? Can i have a teuta set to autosalvage on its own, then assign manticores to it? So the teuta breaks it down and its own subordinates find a place to deposit if?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 19:33

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 19:08
Ive had manticores with 3 star pilots in Silent Witness and Windfall(central sector)... set to auto salvage and they find nothing. Scrap cubes are sitting unclaimed within radar range and you can see em on the map. Just roaming about endlessly looking for scrap when its right next to them or a sector away. If i assign them to my scrap plant in avarice, they do fine.

So i am missing something with them, must they be attached to a station? Can i have a teuta set to autosalvage on its own, then assign manticores to it? So the teuta breaks it down and its own subordinates find a place to deposit if?
It could simply be that NPC manticores have already 'claimed' them and they just haven't arrived yet. The same way your manticore can claim a cube from a distance and NPC's won't touch it.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 20:13

disregard.
Last edited by Socratatus on Wed, 3. Aug 22, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 20:14

It seems to me he's not complaining about the mechanics of the game, just the wording. "No usable wrecks found in range." should be just nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Return to “X4: Foundations”