The little things I wish we could do with Captain/Crew NPCs...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

The little things I wish we could do with Captain/Crew NPCs...

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 14:34

1. I wish I could tell my npc to get off the ship and just stand on the station platform, go take a break off ship. Why? Well it's immersive, but there's also a practical reason: I have one ship. there's a new ship I want to buy, but I can't afford it without selling the only ship I have first. But if I do that I lose my trained NPC pilot that I spent a long time with. If I could tell her to leave the ship and just wander about the station, I could sell it, buy the new ship then call her to that new one. Maybe we can do that? I haven't found a way.

2. Sometimes I go outside my ship in space to manually repair the hull. While I'm out there it dawns on me that I should be able to order no.1 to do the outside-repair-hull job sometimes. It would be kinda neat seeing her floating outside the hull repairing it.

3. Where does the NPC go when she goes in that door when I take over? I have only a small ship. She must be in a cubicle barely large enough to lie down in. Heck, at one point I took on a traveller who needed a taxi, so TWO of them were squashed in there! Maybe it's like the little beds lorry drivers have.... She reads a tiny pad in her tiny cubicle, sobbing gently to herself.
Anyway, it would be nice if sometimes I could order the NPc to just stay in the cockpit area to observe the controls/ learn from me, etc (I'd say even for small chat, but that's probably asking too much). : :roll:
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Irushian
x4

Re: The little things I wish we could do with Captain/Crew NPCs...

Post by Irushian » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 17:10

I've also recently thought that it would be good to be able to move our pilots/marines etc to station as unassigned when I've had to rejiggle my crews around with no spare space without having to bring the ships close to one another, or just for better organisation instead of having to always keep them on a ship.

So that suggestion is definitely a +1 from me.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 17:42

Irushian wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 17:10
I've also recently thought that it would be good to be able to move our pilots/marines etc to station as unassigned when I've had to rejiggle my crews around with no spare space without having to bring the ships close to one another, or just for better organisation instead of having to always keep them on a ship.

That's certainly one that should be considered in an update.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 18:29

Socratatus wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 17:42
Irushian wrote:

I'd do anything to be able to swap captains between ships using transfer crews...but apparently leaving the ship without a captain for a few seconds is a galaxy-wide sin.
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:23

Perhaps stations should get a new room included with a dock module : Crew quarters, which could look similar to the station crew rooms we had in X:Rebirth, with the beds, shower and such.
When docked at a station (friendly station or owned station), we could tell a crew member on that docked ship to wait on that station. They'd go into that crew quarters room and wait, and we could go to that room and assign them to a new work place.

And if the station turns hostile, our stationed crew members would get send to a station with a jail (hall of judgement or any trading station/pirate base/free dock), where we can buy them free. :D That would give jail cells some more use.
Last edited by Rei Ayanami on Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:28

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 20:23
Perhaps stations should get a new room included with a dock module : Crew quarters, which could look similar to the station crew rooms we had in X:Rebirth, with the beds, shower and such.
When docked at a station (friendly station or owned station), we could tell a crew member on that docked ship to wait on that station. They'd go into that crew quarters room and wait, and we could go to that room and assign them to a new work place.

And if the station turns hostile, our stationed crew members would get send to a station with a jail (hall of judgement or any trading station/pirate base/free dock), where we can buy them free. :D
Sounds a very simple and straight forward plan. I agree. A lot could be done, but just being able give NPC crew (principally your pilot of your ship) some shore-leave would certainly help with a lot of things.

For me, as I try to explain to any Dev watching, I don't always play to get the most ships, or the biggest or the hugest company. I often start and just explore and see what happens. This is why I still have only one ship, but an experienced pilot in this particular game.

I like to do things a bit off the beaten path and see how the game handles it.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 1. Aug 22, 21:36

Oh well, in the end had to sell my 16 Spacefly eggs to make up the money for the other ship. Pity, I was saving them up until I could make my super spacefly thingy. :|

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 09:40

Duncaroos wrote:
Mon, 1. Aug 22, 18:29
Socratatus wrote:
Irushian wrote:

I'd do anything to be able to swap captains between ships using transfer crews...but apparently leaving the ship without a captain for a few seconds is a galaxy-wide sin.
Can you not? I noticed in transfer crew the captain has a checkbox, never used it but I've always assumed it's to swap captains.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 12:52

Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 09:40
Duncaroos wrote:
Socratatus wrote:

Can you not? I noticed in transfer crew the captain has a checkbox, never used it but I've always assumed it's to swap captains.
Yes you can. Just now did it. I think I did it the long way round

I had to go to my new ship and tell the cap of that (face to facE) to transfer to the old ship as a crewman, then go to my old ship and tell the girl there to transfer to my new ship. Then I finally found a menu that got me to tell the crewman of the new ship to be the captain. I didn't see the menu until late, I probably could've done all that way. I tried the comms but no transfer option came up that way.

Still can't get them to actually get off and temporarily stay on the Station though.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 14:44

Rei Ayanami wrote:
And if the station turns hostile, our stationed crew members would get send to a station with a jail (hall of judgement or any trading station/pirate base/free dock), where we can buy them free. :D That would give jail cells some more use.
Two men, an oldman, two robots and a hairy thing dock to Death Star to save one five star captain from the jail. Sounds familiar.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 19:07

Rei Ayanami wrote:
When docked at a station (friendly station or owned station), we could tell a crew member on that docked ship to wait on that station. They'd go into that crew quarters room and wait, and we could go to that room and assign them to a new work place....
This sounds more like a job for the local watering hole, aka, bar. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 21:17

Nanook wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 19:07
Rei Ayanami wrote:
When docked at a station (friendly station or owned station), we could tell a crew member on that docked ship to wait on that station. They'd go into that crew quarters room and wait, and we could go to that room and assign them to a new work place....
This sounds more like a job for the local watering hole, aka, bar. :mrgreen:
That's it! A bar! That's a perfect place to have your crew go temporarily. This is what they're for! We need the Devs to allow the ability to order shore leave to these bars.

aaphebus
x4

Post by aaphebus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 10:48

If it's a bar it could become quickly a real overcrowded place, some ships can carry hundreds of crewmen/women.

But +1 for the idea of transfering crew to stations, at least to headquarter?

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 13:01

aaphebus wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 10:48
If it's a bar it could become quickly a real overcrowded place, some ships can carry hundreds of crewmen/women.

If you have a crew training project done at that particular planet the HQ is in, the HQ can hold up to 100 crew at one time.
Although if you're already doing that, just dock a big ship somewhere and it'll function exactly the same.

aaphebus
x4

Post by aaphebus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 14:39

Raptor34 wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 13:01
If you have a crew training project done at that particular planet the HQ is in, the HQ can hold up to 100 crew at one time.
Although if you're already doing that, just dock a big ship somewhere and it'll function exactly the same.
This is tied to terraformation I think, but I'm very very far from this point :) I'm still trying to expand my own industry on one side while trying to restrain Xenon assaults on the other side.
But thanks anyway for the information didn't know about that.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 15:00

aaphebus wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 14:39
This is tied to terraformation I think, but I'm very very far from this point :) I'm still trying to expand my own industry on one side while trying to restrain Xenon assaults on the other side.
But thanks anyway for the information didn't know about that.
Don't be put off by the position of the HQ training facilities on the right hand side of the terraforming screen. While this may give the impression that they can only be built at the end of the terraforming process often all that is required is a bubble city & the training facilities themselves. Entirely possible to get these up & running in a matter of days after starting a new game. Having an effectively inexhaustible source of well trained pilots & marines has proved to be highly beneficial in my last couple of games. For me actual terraforming of the planet (in the sense of atmospheric & surface modification) generally only starts several weeks or months later, when my HQ has grown to sufficient size that improving recruitment rate of workers makes building arcologies on the planet surface worthwhile.

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 16:43

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 12:52
Raptor34 wrote:
Duncaroos wrote:

I had to go to my new ship and tell the cap of that (face to facE) to transfer to the old ship as a crewman, then go to my old ship and tell the girl there to transfer to my new ship. Then I finally found a menu that got me to tell the crewman of the new ship to be the captain. I didn't see the menu until late, I probably could've done all that way. I tried the comms but no transfer option came up that way.

Still can't get them to actually get off and temporarily stay on the Station though.
Mmmmmmm, I wouldn't say that was you "doing it". That's more of a workaround. I'm talking about only using the "Transfer Crew Window" and selecting both captains as "Replace Captain". Right now if you do that, it won't let you complete the transfer. I think the issue within the game is that a non-captain needs to be transfered to replace said captain, but there's no option to quickly swap captains.
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 19:54

aaphebus wrote:

The discussion wasn't about storing hordes of crew members on a station, it was about temporarily having one, or a few, transferred to a station for various reasons. You know, like in those missions where you're tasked with taking some NPC from one place to another, but your ship is currently full? It would be a big help to tell one of your crew to go have a drink while you run the mission. :wink:

Or you have two fully crewed ships between which you want to swap the captains or a couple of crew members.

Or you want to drop off a crew member/marine and have another ship pick them up, without you having to wait for that ship to arrive.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 21:58

Nanook wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 19:54
aaphebus wrote:

The discussion wasn't about storing hordes of crew members on a station, it was about temporarily having one, or a few, transferred to a station for various reasons. You know, like in those missions where you're tasked with taking some NPC from one place to another, but your ship is currently full? It would be a big help to tell one of your crew to go have a drink while you run the mission. :wink:

Or you have two fully crewed ships between which you want to swap the captains or a couple of crew members.

Or you want to drop off a crew member/marine and have another ship pick them up, without you having to wait for that ship to arrive.
You get it. :) I hadn't even thought of that other case.

True, but the idea is still good. It would definitely work if you have only a small number of ships , such as in my case. I havem't gone to the level of multiple huge fleets yet and that would be a different story. Perhaps huge crews might have to be sent in shifts, much like they do in reality. I'll be more sure of what's doable once I get to that point and know the numbers.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 08:11

Duncaroos wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 16:43
Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 12:52
Raptor34 wrote:

Mmmmmmm, I wouldn't say that was you "doing it". That's more of a workaround. I'm talking about only using the "Transfer Crew Window" and selecting both captains as "Replace Captain". Right now if you do that, it won't let you complete the transfer. I think the issue within the game is that a non-captain needs to be transfered to replace said captain, but there's no option to quickly swap captains.
Huh, always assumed that's how it would work.
That's kinda dumb, since you can just fire captains anyway.

Return to “X4: Foundations”