What kind of performance should I expect?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xXZexxMooreXx

What kind of performance should I expect?

Post by xXZexxMooreXx » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:30

Ryzen 3900x
2080 Ti
16GB @3600
(No Mods)
(Medium Graphics)

I start a new game and I get around 80fps with medium graphics set, and then a minute or two later the frames drop to around 35 to 45. Is this normal?

NiAypa
x4

Re: What kind of performance should I expect?

Post by NiAypa » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:40

Try playing around with your ingame graphics settings. And maybe with your driver settings, too. What kind of settings do you have, did you customize any? Anti-Aliasing is always a big one. But getting low FPS with a graphics card like you have should not be a problem, I think. I got an older graphics card than you and run the game with higher settings without problems.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:42

xXZexxMooreXx wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:30
Ryzen 3900x
2080 Ti
16GB @3600
(No Mods)
(Medium Graphics)

I start a new game and I get around 80fps with medium graphics set, and then a minute or two later the frames drop to around 35 to 45. Is this normal?
I'd say very good performance, especially with that cpu. A 2080Ti is not to be sneezed at either. Like the other poster says you could be pushing your graphical settings too much as you don't actually tell us what your settings are or where the drops happen. However, 80 is still good, as to why it's dropping to 35-45, I don't know. Are the drops for long periods or just momentary, for mere 1 or 2 seconds? Have you tried running it WITHOUT looking at the FPS numbers and see how it feels? Would you have even noticed the drop if you couldn't see the numbers?
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

xXZexxMooreXx

Post by xXZexxMooreXx » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:51

It seems that I shouldn't be having low FPS like I am then. I turned the settings to low and disabled AA and the FPS is still around 35 to 45. I also checked to see if my CPU was throttling, but it never went over 70c.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 19:42

Ime it depends what is rendered (what you are looking at). In some sectors I got 80+ fps, in others 30ish. Near my factory complex it goes down to 20 fps. That's on Ryzen 9 3950X, Radeon 5700XT and 32GB RAM.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 02:25

Yeah definitely you should be getting better performance. I run max graphics on GTX1060 and a i5-4460. I still get mostly 30-60 fps except in my own huge station complexes and in large warfare. And I even run some performance heavy mods that increase overall counts of ships.

Don't know what the problem is but I don't think you should be getting choppy performance except in huge carrier wars if even then.

You say that a minute or too later the performance drops. That sounds like a memory leak. Someone wiser can perhaps offer solutions.

Are you sure the FPS is showing correctly? Do you experience the game being choppy?

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 03:33

xXZexxMooreXx wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 18:30
Ryzen 3900x
2080 Ti
16GB @3600
(No Mods)
(Medium Graphics)

Try with this settings
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 04:46

Should not be dipping that much when in empty space. Make sure your CPU is sufficiently cooled (not thermal throttling). Same for GPU, make sure it is not thermal throttling.

I also use a R9 3900X and get fairly good performance all the time. Large or busy stations still cause performance issues but that is expected.

Try lowering memory clock to 3200 MHz. My R9 3900X was unstable at 3600 MHz and any sort of instability can affect performance. In my case it is likely due to running 4 DIMMs putting too much load on the infinity fabric.

Some people with Zen2 processors have reported that a UEFI (BIOS) update drastically improved their performance. If you are using an old UEFI or never updated your UEFI it might be a good idea to try this.

xXZexxMooreXx

Post by xXZexxMooreXx » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 13:44

Everything is up-to-date and there's no throttling with either the GPU or the CPU.

I have noticed that, when the FPS drops in half, pressing the escape key restores the FPS. I've been playing around with it for the past hour and it has worked the four times it's happened.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 14:59

I have a 1060 and it runs at 60 fps on 1080p with all settings at max and with FXAA plus no scaling. The game doesn't use 100% of the GPU nor the CPU. Thermals are around 60C.

Yes, the fps drops to 45 fps (triple buffer with vsync) in places that it uses the new effect features like fog or reflection. I'd say it's a great improvement since when these features were launched.

NiAypa
x4

Post by NiAypa » Thu, 4. Aug 22, 21:47

xXZexxMooreXx wrote:
Thu, 4. Aug 22, 13:44
Everything is up-to-date and there's no throttling with either the GPU or the CPU.

I have noticed that, when the FPS drops in half, pressing the escape key restores the FPS. I've been playing around with it for the past hour and it has worked the four times it's happened.
Could it be some kind of windows notification thats in the background or something? Sounds like some 3rd party problem. Atleast windows notifications drop FPS in other games for me. Did you try it on borderless windowed mode instead of fullscreen?

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Fri, 5. Aug 22, 15:16

Map lag can be significantly reduced by disabling your own and allied waypoint tracking through the filters.

Asteroid amount seems to matter quite a bit. It and heavy fighting combined at Second Flashpoint makes it likely the slowest fps sector. Another quite slow seems to be the Xen sector near Ianamus Zura.

Return to “X4: Foundations”