Pilot flies upside down and doesn't use drones?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

user1679

Pilot flies upside down and doesn't use drones?

Post by user1679 » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 09:07

I bought 3 M-sized Osprey and loaded them up with 4 cargo drones, 5 defense drones and 4 repair drones. I assigned an AI pilot to all three, set them in a fleet
and hopped on one as a passenger. When we came across a Xenon raiding party lumbering toward a gate, I set my fleet to "protect area".

My ship engaged the M-class xenon while my other two Osprey took care of the S-class ships. Problem is, none of my Osprey deployed their defense drones
even though they are set to "Defend" and "Active" and everyone was taking damage.

Also, the 2-star AI pilot on the ship I was in literally spent the whole battle upside down except for a few times when she performed a (rather beautiful, 10/10) barrel roll.
I mean seriously, this is a slow, M-class ship, not a speedy fighter. Anyway... we survived.

After the battle was over, I thought it would be a great time to pick up some of the loot. I right-clicked "collect drops" and... my AI pilot quickly assumed the upside down
position and began crawling toward the boxes. Why? I mean she has cargo drones set to "collect all" and "active".

Did I miss a patch note that said "Drones have rediscovered their cylon ancestry. Don't buy the ones with the red eyes"?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Pilot flies upside down and doesn't use drones?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 10:25

M ships cannot deploy repair or cargo drones as they have no drone launch tube. You can use M ships to ferry and transfer these drones to a larger ship though.

Defence drones on M ships will use the S docking bay to launch and recover but cannot do so if an S ship is parked on it.

I hope this helps.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 13:00

Also, the 2-star AI pilot on the ship I was in literally spent the whole battle upside down except for a few times when she performed a (rather beautiful, 10/10) barrel roll.
You know what I'm gonna say don't you?
It's space, there's no such thing as upside down as long as they do the job.

Seriously though, I actually like it when I see a ship do something inverted in space cos that's pretty much how it would be. Every ship should be whatever orientation would suit it in space. I assume they have some kind of system to prevent crew from falling!
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 18:27

Socratatus wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 13:00
... I assume they have some kind of system to prevent crew from falling!
Yeah, it's called lack of external gravity. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 20:11

... and seatbelts. Even without gravity, inertia and momentum are still things (except in science-magic scenarios). :D

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 20:49

Nanook wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 18:27
Socratatus wrote:
... I assume they have some kind of system to prevent crew from falling!
Yeah, it's called lack of external gravity. :P
Oh yea. Hahaha.Tripped over myself there!
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 03:17

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 10:25
M ships cannot deploy repair or cargo drones as they have no drone launch tube. You can use M ships to ferry and transfer these drones to a larger ship though.

Defence drones on M ships will use the S docking bay to launch and recover but cannot do so if an S ship is parked on it.

I hope this helps.
Interesting, thanks. I did have a S ship dock just before I issued the attack command.

I understand repair drones don't launch on M ships but do the work from inside. But if the cargo drones aren't useable, they shouldn't be available on the ship building screen. Similar how missiles
aren't listed if you don't have a launcher equipped.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 03:19

Socratatus wrote:

Seriously though, I actually like it when I see a ship do something inverted in space cos that's pretty much how it would be. Every ship should be whatever orientation would suit it in space. I assume they have some kind of system to prevent crew from falling!
Except there is an upside down in relation to the default position the follow camera places you in. When you press "F2", you are immediately behind the ship with the top of the ship facing the top of your screen (so your
character's head also faces that direction). This is "upright".

So when you issue an attack command and your pilot rolls over exposing the belly of the ship to the follow cam, and then rolls back when the target dies, it implies to me something is broken. It seems like my pilot is trying to mimic the behavior of the target. My ship doesn't have any weapons on the belly and it's a slow M class ship loaded with turrets. It should be able to plunder along in the same position while the turrets rotate as necessary. Maybe I shouldn't have added that "rust" paintjob.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 10:02

user1679 wrote:
Mon, 8. Aug 22, 03:19
Socratatus wrote:

Except there is an upside down in relation to the default position the follow camera places you in. When you press "F2", you are immediately behind the ship with the top of the ship facing the top of your screen (so your
character's head also faces that direction). This is "upright".

So when you issue an attack command and your pilot rolls over exposing the belly of the ship to the follow cam, and then rolls back when the target dies, it implies to me something is broken. It seems like my pilot is trying to mimic the behavior of the target. My ship doesn't have any weapons on the belly and it's a slow M class ship loaded with turrets. It should be able to plunder along in the same position while the turrets rotate as necessary. Maybe I shouldn't have added that "rust" paintjob.
I see what you mean.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 11:07

As I said, the M ships cannot themselves use cargodrones and properly use repair drones, but they can be used to ferry them to a large ship that needs some where there may not be a suitable shipyard or equipment dock for their self-upgrade. Hence the ability to equip them on M ships is retained.

Maybe a better inconsistency is why S/M ships without launchers can't ferry and transfer a few missiles. I suspect it may be to keep their deployables screen less cluttered and that it is easier to tie missile capacity to the launchers. :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”