X4: Kingdom End - Egosoft reveals the Boron reunion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Belphegor2_3
x4

Re: X4: Kingdom End - Egosoft reveals the Boron reunion

Post by Belphegor2_3 » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 23:24

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 19:58
Correct. The choice of file format has absolutely no effect on in-game performance. Even its impact on startup time is minimal, and, contrary to popular belief, the same applies to the loading and saving of savegames. :)
I have no ingame performance issue.
For the rest...

Borons are wellcome. :P

jacex3tc

Post by jacex3tc » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 19:43

Hi.

I have some some feedbax for Egosoft. I have this feedbax without ever playing X4. Enjoy.

1.) Losing crew is my most-disliked thing to happen, and I will 100% reload or alter the save file to restore that crewmember. In the future we need escape pods. Perhaps this could be a software module we could buy and then small ship crew following a cap ship could be immediately rescued and available on the cap ship when they're destroyed. Cap ships could have some other recovery means (or not, as they aren't destroyed in an instant).

2.) Following from 1, I think it would be cool for new ships fresh from a shipyard to come with an AI pilot. That way we could have expendable ships. All human crew would be recruited by us, and then we would level them up. Levelling crew is a time-intensive action and this should be respected. AI pilots perhaps can't be leveled. Perhaps you could purchase upgrades to have AGI pilots. So after that point, you can have an AI pilot that gets higher skill. You could have some fun with that. Maybe the AGI pilot continues to gain skill but it expires eventually, leaving the ship derelict. Perhaps AGI pilots have a risk to flip to Xenon when coming into contact with them.

Anyway, in brief, we need means to not lose crew from ship destruction especially from small ships. It would be nice to have AI pilots for expendable ships.

I wanted to play X4 before I made this post, but I picked up different stuff in the sale and now I do not know when I will play it.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 15:06

jacex3tc wrote:
Sat, 7. Jan 23, 19:43
1.) Losing crew is my most-disliked thing to happen, and I will 100% reload or alter the save file to restore that crewmember. In the future we need escape pods. Perhaps this could be a software module we could buy and then small ship crew following a cap ship could be immediately rescued and available on the cap ship when they're destroyed. Cap ships could have some other recovery means (or not, as they aren't destroyed in an instant).
Yes! Ive been campaigning for this for a long time. I think that we need an unassigned crew list - these crew should just exist in the list, they are not physically present anywhere. When they get assigned it should take some time for them to arrive at their new position.
When an escape pod gets launched it should try to find its way to nearest dockable position, then the crew should be added to the unassigned list. I dont think it should be 100% likely for them to escape though, some shouldnt and hyper aggressive foes (like xenon or any faction at -30) should shoot at escape pods. Escape pods (along with boarding pods) should be a consumable, larger ships could have the ability to manufacture their own escape pods (and drones).
jacex3tc wrote:
2.) Following from 1, I think it would be cool for new ships fresh from a shipyard to come with an AI pilot. That way we could have expendable ships. All human crew would be recruited by us, and then we would level them up. Levelling crew is a time-intensive action and this should be respected. AI pilots perhaps can't be leveled. Perhaps you could purchase upgrades to have AGI pilots. So after that point, you can have an AI pilot that gets higher skill. You could have some fun with that. Maybe the AGI pilot continues to gain skill but it expires eventually, leaving the ship derelict. Perhaps AGI pilots have a risk to flip to Xenon when coming into contact with them.
This too! Just like in previous games. Would be super cool and solve so many issues if ships were capable of performing basic commands without a pilot. It should be simple though, like fly here or dock here and nothing else.
This opens up the possibility for more 'soft death' like features, such as the pilot getting killed without the ship blowing up, or even the pilot ejecting before the ship is destroyed.
Overall point ide like to make though, is that I think automated drone-ships being the majority in the x universe would be both more 'realistic' and open up so much room for variety and nuance (rebirth started in this direction i think), and it would make encountering manned ships more interesting - with piloted craft being more rare. This could vary between races (Eg, Split are obsessed with personal glory so might not use drones as much, if at all). Drone ships could have very different characteristics to manned ships as they can be much more maneuverable (dont have to worry about killing their crew) adding a lot of variety.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 15:35

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 8. Jan 23, 15:06
jacex3tc wrote:
This too! Just like in previous games. Would be super cool and solve so many issues if ships were capable of performing basic commands without a pilot. It should be simple though, like fly here or dock here and nothing else.
This opens up the possibility for more 'soft death' like features, such as the pilot getting killed without the ship blowing up, or even the pilot ejecting before the ship is destroyed.
Overall point ide like to make though, is that I think automated drone-ships being the majority in the x universe would be both more 'realistic' and open up so much room for variety and nuance (rebirth started in this direction i think), and it would make encountering manned ships more interesting - with piloted craft being more rare. This could vary between races (Eg, Split are obsessed with personal glory so might not use drones as much, if at all). Drone ships could have very different characteristics to manned ships as they can be much more maneuverable (dont have to worry about killing their crew) adding a lot of variety.
I literally do not see any difference between this AI pilot and the essentially free pilot we already get with every ship. Like at least the other guy has the excuse of not playing the game.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 15:53

Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 8. Jan 23, 15:35
I literally do not see any difference between this AI pilot and the essentially free pilot we already get with every ship.
You do get the "free pilot" if you buy a ship or send a marine to claim an abandoned S/M.
I'd guess the request for "AGI" (for which every Terran will happily kill you for) is about the player-claimed ships and boarded ships (and recovery of crew before you sell a ship).

I finally did remember a reason why I'd be willing to accept Borons after all: the all Boron biki^H^H marine team. I want to hear their elite screams when they board ships. :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

UnknownObject
x4

Post by UnknownObject » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 17:43

1. Is X4: Kingdom End that very X4-22?
2. Is the Russian translators crew or the Russian loc files already complete?
3. Can a player roast and chew (oh, yum-yum) one of these squids?
Мир всем народам на свете.
Нам не нужна
Война!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 20:48

UnknownObject wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 17:43
X4-22 was noted as stand alone X4 game, while Kindom Ends is just a DLC for X4, so they are not the same.

NiAypa
x4

Post by NiAypa » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 01:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 20:48
UnknownObject wrote:
X4-22 was noted as stand alone X4 game, while Kindom Ends is just a DLC for X4, so they are not the same.
Or maybe it was a trap, as they knew that title would be known to the players?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 02:04

NiAypa wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 01:24
mr.WHO wrote:
UnknownObject wrote:
- The website of the German gov clearly states the money to be for a standalone game.
- It was about 1 millionen in funding from the state over a timespan. For Terran DLC Egosoft got like 200k, for tides of avarice 400k.

Then again, 1 mio doesn't sound like a lot to develop a whole new game to me. With about 20 employees that money would be easily spend within a year. Also it seems they did not get any funding for the Boron DLC, like they did for the other DLCs..
I bet CBJ would just silently giggle if he reads any of this..

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 08:09

Tamina wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 02:04
NiAypa wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 01:24
mr.WHO wrote:

- The website of the German gov clearly states the money to be for a standalone game.
- It was about 1 millionen in funding from the state over a timespan. For Terran DLC Egosoft got like 200k, for tides of avarice 400k.

Then again, 1 mio doesn't sound like a lot to develop a whole new game to me. With about 20 employees that money would be easily spend within a year. Also it seems they did not get any funding for the Boron DLC, like they did for the other DLCs..
I bet CBJ would just silently giggle if he reads any of this..
If you set ~70000€ per year, you can pay 14 people for one year with this money. So maybe 10 to 15 ppl, depending on what they pay them.
But of course, there are other costs and 14 ppl will not make a game in one year.
But of course egosoft also gets money from selling their games ;)
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 09:03

UnknownObject wrote:
Yes, X-22 was the working title for the funding institutions for this project.
mr.WHO wrote:
I would recommend never to derive too much from these funding descriptions. Being part of the extensive funding applications, these descriptions are often written 6-12 months before work actually begins on a project. Accordingly, a lot can change very quickly (as is normal in the games industry), but the descriptions on the website aren't updated later on.
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 09:36

Ouch, so this means we will be constrained by savegame compactibility much longer :(

I'd really want to start fresh, if only to get rid of copy/paste stats on ships.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 09:53

@Gregory

Thanks for clearing that up - there was _a lot_ speculation based on that detail "standalone". And hence a lot of misguided expectation :(

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 10:52

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 12:53

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 6. Jan 23, 17:58
I think Bernd indirectly hinted that Borons are in the work (but shouldn't be expected anytime soon) somewere during Split DLC preview live stream.
I can at least say, that this was not the case for any art assets, work started much, much, much later.
You can usually expect roughly one year of art time for a DLC until it is released.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:45

When are we getting a more all-around view of the new big ships anyway? Because what I've seen of some of them don't really match my tastes tbh, which is also partly a consequence of not being able to see the whole ship.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:48

Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:45
When are we getting a more all-around view of the new big ships anyway? Because what I've seen of some of them don't really match my tastes tbh, which is also partly a consequence of not being able to see the whole ship.
Go to Steam page and scroll down for animated gif pictures of Shark and Ray.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:58

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:48
Raptor34 wrote:
The Shark only shows the top, which looks good but the rest could still be ugly. And the Ray, like literally wtf is that. I certainly hope that's it's worst angle because it looks like a whole bunch of barnacles stuck on a hull.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 14:02

Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:58
mr.WHO wrote:
Raptor34 wrote:
The Shark only shows the top, which looks good but the rest could still be ugly. And the Ray, like literally wtf is that. I certainly hope that's it's worst angle because it looks like a whole bunch of barnacles stuck on a hull.
I'm also not so happy with the ship design - but I suspect the very dark lighting in the teaser-trailer / current published material to be part of the problem. (at least I very much hope so because it would be devastating for my favourite race having ugly ships :( )

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 15:36

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 14:02
Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 13:58
mr.WHO wrote:

I'm also not so happy with the ship design - but I suspect the very dark lighting in the teaser-trailer / current published material to be part of the problem. (at least I very much hope so because it would be devastating for my favourite race having ugly ships :( )
I find the smaller ships to be much better, some of them at least. Not completely my taste, but I could get used to it.
But I could tolerate a couple uglies, it's at least looking to be much better than ToA where I disliked the whole aesthetic.

Return to “X4: Foundations”