Instead of buying ships for station

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jojorne
x4

Instead of buying ships for station

Post by jojorne » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 05:03

I wish, instead of buying ships for station, you would set a loadout and number of ships and the manager would do the rest.

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Instead of buying ships for station

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 07:24

jojorne wrote:
Sun, 22. Jan 23, 05:03
I wish, instead of buying ships for station, you would set a loadout and number of ships and the manager would do the rest.
It may help in ways of automation but then there will have to be a suitable Shipyard/Wharf in the manager's radius with what you have specified and the manager would automatically buy the same ship/configuration if one of the ships get destroyed, while you may want to change something, like an L Miner instead of the destroyed by Khaak M...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 12:25

I have suggested such a feature before in the past. Under such a system you can add "ghost" ships as subordinates which then are automatically constructed and crewed. This feature is aimed at late game empires where you do not care about the cost of the ships and would rather want to see less effort spent on macro in the form of ordering, assigning and replacing ships.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 13:34

Thinking about it, the OP suggestion is actually one of the best imo.
The way I would do it is that stations or any other commander like carriers or whatever would have 2 separate ship lists. The first is what you are doing currently, manually added subordinates. The second would of course be a list of ships that would be auto-ordered from what an attached shipyard.

So to split it up, firstly the concept of an attached shipyard, basically rather than just telling commanders to order whatever, what they can order would be limited by what the attached shipyard can provide, so basically the order screen would use the attached shipyard and what it can supply rather than something like the encyclopedia compare ship screen with all modules. This shipyard can be any shipyard you have access to of course, just like how you normally order ships.

Secondly, each commander, which in this case would for starters be limited to carriers and stations, would have a separate UI where you then order your ships, the manager would then use their own cash, meaning they need to keep cash on hand, unless it's your own shipyard I guess, though I still want cash transfer between your own stuff. But I digress, you tell the manager through the UI that I want how many of each ship and their loadouts and then it auto orders them. In case of losses to hostile kills, it'll just order a new one. The interesting part would be of course if you remove a ship manually, it'll also count as a loss and auto-order a new ship. The key point here is that you can never manually add a ship to the second list, only the first.

Basically this would cover several issues:
1. How to source replacements? That's why you have an attached shipyard. It won't work without one. This of course does mean that you would be unable to highly customize your ships without your own wharf, but without such restrictions the complexity goes up.
2. What if you remove and add back a ship? That's why you have separate lists, a manual and auto one. That way the AI doesn't have to know or calculate anything beyond their own auto-list, it's somewhat inefficient of course and you cannot just prebuild ships while waiting for station construction, but this way I think it'll be the least likely to bug out.
3. Who pays for it? The station of course, perhaps you can have a separate replacement budget? I wouldn't bother having a max price tbh. If you're auto-replenishing you shouldn't be caring about cash at that point.

Return to “X4: Foundations”