Idea: Crystals within radius of resource probe glow

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Idea: Crystals within radius of resource probe glow

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 01:52

Kinda of like they do in the crystal glow mod. It would make them easier to spot. Drop a resource probe in an area and it would benefit crystal hunting. Maybe even affect the spawn rate of certain crystals.

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Idea: Crystals within radius of resource probe glow

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 06:36

But wasn't the kind of crystal made dependent on what you'd already found, with just the base one available after three finds in each sector? I think the idea was to remove crystals as a 'get rich quick' scheme, skewing the early game.

Must admit, it was how I used to enjoy playing, even when I had a few factories. - If this was available a couple of years ago, I'd have spammed asteroid areas with resource probes! :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 11:55

Not keen on the sort of effect provided by the glowing crystals mod being added to the vanilla game. Entirely an aesthetic issue for me, don't really care if people want to get rich mining crystals. However from what I've seen in videos the effect used in the mod is simply far too garish for my tastes (favourite colour correction filter = desaturated). Very much prefer asteroids to look like dull rocks, rather than brightly glowing abominations.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 14:30

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Wed, 25. Jan 23, 11:55
Not keen on the sort of effect provided by the glowing crystals mod being added to the vanilla game. Entirely an aesthetic issue for me, don't really care if people want to get rich mining crystals. However from what I've seen in videos the effect used in the mod is simply far too garish for my tastes (favourite colour correction filter = desaturated). Very much prefer asteroids to look like dull rocks, rather than brightly glowing abominations.
It could be toned down from what is in the mod, but finding crystals without it is super hard compared to with it.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 14:35

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Wed, 25. Jan 23, 11:55
Not keen on the sort of effect provided by the glowing crystals mod being added to the vanilla game. Entirely an aesthetic issue for me, don't really care if people want to get rich mining crystals.
Simple solution: make it so it only shows up in scan mode.

Resource probes giving you some sort of direct feedback when in scan mode sounds like it could be an interesting idea, although I imagine the utility is pretty niche (don't think a lot of people engage in player mining).

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 20:05

I only thought of this when I was trying to find 21 Bandannite crystals so that Boso Ta could complete the Paranid plot (also have to scrape together a measly 1 billion credits)

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 05:59

Crystals shouldn't all revert to the base-white versions when you find one, that change needs to be reversed imo. First, this is a single player game, so it's not like it needs to be balanced against other players making money. Next, as mentioned above, some are necessary for Boso Ta. Also, it was, and still remains a popular way to make early-game cash; People enjoy it. It really wasn't so lucrative as to deserve a nerf. Besides, everyone who knows meta gameplay knows that capping ships is the truly broken money grab, and crystal hunting never even came close to camping a neutral sector, capping, selling, repeat.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 17:45

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 25. Jan 23, 01:52
Kinda of like they do in the crystal glow mod. It would make them easier to spot. Drop a resource probe in an area and it would benefit crystal hunting. Maybe even affect the spawn rate of certain crystals.
I do like that, but I would go a step further and add more types of crystals, different values, and be able to use them to enhance your weapons in different ways (more damage, faster speeds, etc) as a separate menu from the ship mod consul. The crystal type also changes the hue of your weapon colors :D
- Please check out & vote on my X4:F expansion idea thread

[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations”