Why do Egosoft refuse to remember my Mouse Steering setting? - Fix in 6.20 beta.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oddible
x4

Why do Egosoft refuse to remember my Mouse Steering setting? - Fix in 6.20 beta.

Post by oddible » Wed, 3. May 23, 16:20

This has been in the game forever, I'm baffled that this quality of life feature hasn't been added. Why do I have to toggle Mouse Steering on EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter my ship? I wish it just remembered my setting. I get up and go to space suit, boom gotta toggle. Get back in my ship, boom, gotta toggle again. Land on a station, do something, hop back in my ship, gotta toggle it on yet again. Why make the player do this? Maybe no one at Egosoft ever plays with Mouse Steering so they don't know how annoying this is so no one thinks of it. For folks who do play with mouse steering, sure it isn't a huge deal but it would be so nice if it would just remember it for me!

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Why do Egosoft refuse to remember my Mouse Steering setting?

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 3. May 23, 17:33

oddible wrote:
Wed, 3. May 23, 16:20
This has been in the game forever, I'm baffled that this quality of life feature hasn't been added. Why do I have to toggle Mouse Steering on EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter my ship? I wish it just remembered my setting. I get up and go to space suit, boom gotta toggle. Get back in my ship, boom, gotta toggle again. Land on a station, do something, hop back in my ship, gotta toggle it on yet again. Why make the player do this? Maybe no one at Egosoft ever plays with Mouse Steering so they don't know how annoying this is so no one thinks of it. For folks who do play with mouse steering, sure it isn't a huge deal but it would be so nice if it would just remember it for me!
Uhm I haven't played with a stick for years and I prefer it this way, a toggle with the default OFF. I don't want to have whatever thing I just take control to just immediately start spinning around as soon as I take control before I can get oriented. In fact every example you using is precisely why it need to be toggle of by default. Imagine you just get off the landing path, and the ship immediately point you down because that's the current motion from the mouse, that would be FAR MORE irritating than has to toggle it on.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 3. May 23, 17:42

It is a bit quirky, but consider it a "mini-game" lol. When I dock - with mouse flight control on - it's a fun game to see if I can guess correctly whether it'll still be on or turned off when I take off again. The heightened tension wondering what it'll be as your ship oh so slowly raises from the dock, a mini-game in its self, wondering exactly when control will be given back to the player...and will it be MOUSE control. Such fun.

BmB

Post by BmB » Wed, 3. May 23, 20:01

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 3. May 23, 17:33
Uhm I haven't played with a stick for years and I prefer it this way, a toggle with the default OFF. I don't want to have whatever thing I just take control to just immediately start spinning around as soon as I take control before I can get oriented. In fact every example you using is precisely why it need to be toggle of by default. Imagine you just get off the landing path, and the ship immediately point you down because that's the current motion from the mouse, that would be FAR MORE irritating than has to toggle it on.
This has more to do with the fact that engaging mouse steering does not center your cursor automatically, which it really should.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Wed, 3. May 23, 20:31

In 5.10HF3(b) (most probably in all 5.x but I only played since that) game remember when mouse steering was activated first time in the game session (after loaded the map).
4.x and 6.0 it does not.
So yes please it would be nice to have this working like in 5.10HF3 when playing keyboard and mouse.

I don't know how others keep their mouse but since undocking there's delay until ship becomes controllable (same with spacesuit since 6.0) and my mouse is quite steady on table ships won't shake if I don't move it.

spacecadett
x4

Post by spacecadett » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 17:46

I can't believe this is still broken, and the relevant thread was locked and forgotten so nobody else can report on it.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 18:05

spacecadett wrote:
Wed, 7. Jun 23, 17:46
...the relevant thread was locked and forgotten so nobody else can report on it.
No it wasn't. The thread is here. A number of unhelpful comments were removed from it and the removed posts were locked, but the original thread is still there and still open.

And in more good news, an option to have the game remember this setting is planned for an upcoming version.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Wed, 7. Jun 23, 22:23

That is really good news. Thanks CBJ and whole team :)

Vheissu
x4

Post by Vheissu » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 09:25

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 7. Jun 23, 18:05
spacecadett wrote:
Wed, 7. Jun 23, 17:46
...the relevant thread was locked and forgotten so nobody else can report on it.
No it wasn't. The thread is here. A number of unhelpful comments were removed from it and the removed posts were locked, but the original thread is still there and still open.

And in more good news, an option to have the game remember this setting is planned for an upcoming version.
Huzzah!

spacecadett
x4

Post by spacecadett » Sun, 6. Aug 23, 02:16

May I ask which upcoming version this is planned for? It's been months now since I've played the game because of this bug that should be hot fixed. Very disappointed. :evil:

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 6. Aug 23, 10:19

spacecadett wrote:
Sun, 6. Aug 23, 02:16
May I ask which upcoming version this is planned for?
Version 6.20, see the beta changelog for reference:
• Added option to re-enable mouse steering automatically.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X4: Foundations”