UI menu flickering - Resolved by unplugging old joystick.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Khryshain

UI menu flickering - Resolved by unplugging old joystick.

Post by Khryshain » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 15:13

I'm fairly new to the game and I think I'm close to getting all the keystrokes sorted but I do have this UI issue I can't seem to resolve. For example, if I open the menu when I'm flying in order to drop a satellite, the drop down box keeps flicking off and it's really difficult to select the satellite. Another example is the personnel dialog. It's really difficult to select Manager or Captain etc. as the box keeps closing before I can select it. Other menus like the Fleet overview are fine with no flickering. Another indicator is when I take off or come out of travel drive, I frequently have to activate steering mode as the ship starts spinning. The answer may be obvious but I'm not seeing it. I have assigned shortcuts to everything I can but I really need to organise personnel. Anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: UI menu flickering

Post by CBJ » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 15:18

You've not really given enough information for anyone to be able to help you, but it's probably going to be something like a driver issue or a control input problem. I suggest you go to the Tech Support forum, read the sticky thread right at the top of that forum, and then create a post there containing all the information requested. Then maybe someone will be able to spot what the problem might be.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 15:34

I would first suspect that some device is putting out an unwanted continuous or intermittent signal to the game that is cancelling or changing previous action demands. Unplug any devices you don't use while playing then, if the problem persists, unplug any controller/stick you use to play and see if the issue disappears with just mouse and keyboard.

Also maybe try avoiding use of game overlays, macro buttons, and other device configuration apps (eg in graphics driver suite or Steam etc) in case they are playing a part in this.

If you can eliminate down to one device causing the issue then you can check its calibration, deadzones, wear and tear or stuck buttons, etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 15:35

What's your game performance like? I mainly see this issue on the map interface when trying to queue up orders where nested entries and right click menus randomly disappear.

It seems to happen mostly towards the end of sessions when performance on the map interface is getting a little sluggish.

Khryshain

Post by Khryshain » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 16:53

Thank you all for replying. Alan Phipps nailed the issue. I was using a joystick when I started x4 but it needs replacing (too many fights in Elite). I unplugged it and I no longer have any issues. Thanks so much for the help, it was driving me nuts:) I had turned it off in the settings so I thought it wouldn't interfere with the game but seems as I was wrong.

Vheissu
x4

Post by Vheissu » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 17:09

Analog usb devices that are plugged in but not in use can play havoc, it's super annoying. See also Sony Dualshock controllers preventing windows from entering sleep mode.

Return to “X4: Foundations”