[Request] Dock direction indicators in build mode

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

A5PECT
x4

[Request] Dock direction indicators in build mode

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 06:45

(Click to enlarge)

Showing the directions ships face when landing on and taking off from docks and ship fabrication/maintenance modules would be very useful in the station design interface.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Metran

Re: [Request] Dock direction indicators in build mode

Post by Metran » Sat, 20. Apr 24, 19:14

Docking modules does not have a "Entry" or "Exit" direction, you can dock facing either direction.

This however is not the case with L/XL-class Manufacturing / Maintenance modules which very much benefit from showing the Entry/Exit direction.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 11:06

Only the player is free to face either direction when docking on a landing pad, or use both sides of an equipment dock/wharf/Terran dock module as entry and exit points. NPC-controlled ships always land facing "forwards", and use the designated "enter" and "exit" lanes when present.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Metran

Post by Metran » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 20:22

I'm pretty sure that's just how the AI is programmed and has nothing to do with the Docks themselves - I have seen that the AI does only make clockwise turns regardless if it would be easier to turn counterclockwise :gruebel:

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 20:47

Yes. And I build stations to accommodate behaviors/limitations of the AI, to keep traffic flowing smoothly around busy stations.

Which is why I would like clearer indications of how docks work in station planning mode.

Return to “X4: Foundations”