Future request: adv. satellites gives info

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mr.Killer
x4

Future request: adv. satellites gives info

Post by Mr.Killer » Sat, 20. Apr 24, 22:33

Hi all,

Hope this sticks with anyone, I was thinking about an early warning system through the adv. satellites. Give via global settings certain ships that enter the bubble around any satellite and send a message through the sat network to you, telling a certain ship is spotted there and there (coords or something of that sort)

The inspiration came from Star Trek Voyager and their encounter with the Hirogen, they stumbled upon a network too, so there it is.

The idea is that when cargo/miner ships can be protected by small fighters, but when close to a gate or super highway, a big enemy ship comes through and starts to fire all its weapons at this little ship of yours - you are doomed ofcourse, but when the network can warn your ships and you, they can alter their course and find a safer route and the player can get it's little tanks and go in full blasting the enemy, behemoth class ofcourse...

A good idea? or not possible?
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

Koizuki

Re: Future request: adv. satellites gives info

Post by Koizuki » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 00:40

Part of this is already in the game in the form of Alerts. You can set them up and it will send out a message if anything matching those settings appears in radar range of the sectors you want it active in.
I have alerts set for SCA ships uncloaking in sectors where my stations exist, as well as alerts for Xenon L/XL ships appearing in the sectors adjacent to where I've coralled them into.

The main part that isn't available is the AI automatically using knowledge of stuff in radar range to adjust their routes. This is also a major reason why the "Patrol" behavior kind of sucks, as it still relies on the fleets' own radar range, instead of satellite range. Fixing this likely will require a rework of all the AI scripts to take the extra information into account, and then you end up with pretty big assumptions being made when redesigning them (such as the Flee behavior.. certainly no one's ever complained about that before, right? Of course I want my traders to spin around in a circle instead of, I don't know, landing at my Defense Platform bristling with guns like 10km away, or to just stay in travel drive and blow past pirates.)

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 10:14

Koizuki wrote:
Sun, 21. Apr 24, 00:40
Part of this is already in the game in the form of Alerts. You can set them up and it will send out a message if anything matching those settings appears in radar range of the sectors you want it active in.
I have alerts set for SCA ships uncloaking in sectors where my stations exist, as well as alerts for Xenon L/XL ships appearing in the sectors adjacent to where I've coralled them into.
Thanks for this info, I will look into this
Koizuki wrote:
The main part that isn't available is the AI automatically using knowledge of stuff in radar range to adjust their routes. This is also a major reason why the "Patrol" behavior kind of sucks, as it still relies on the fleets' own radar range, instead of satellite range. Fixing this likely will require a rework of all the AI scripts to take the extra information into account, and then you end up with pretty big assumptions being made when redesigning them
I hope the devs take this into account. Just some info, I have Nopilious in my domain, and along the highway spread out far I have satellites, when an harassing pirate needs to be taught a (last) lesson, I redirect the police squadron towards the pirate, yet it takes NOT the highway, this I can't understand. Normally they go around the sun to get to a highway, and when they 'police' not? Weird!!!
Koizuki wrote:
(such as the Flee behavior.. certainly no one's ever complained about that before, right? Of course I want my traders to spin around in a circle instead of, I don't know, landing at my Defense Platform bristling with guns like 10km away, or to just stay in travel drive and blow past pirates.)
I do recall people argue about this unlogical behavior, yet, the software (ie, the computer) knows through programming where everything is and yet it takes an irradic move towards mostly its demise when at armlength a friendly station is to shelter.

I have numerous attempts made to make people aware that we humans have a sense of danger, we flee away from it, being shot at, we run like hell, but pilots tend to stay put and nevertheless, they end up dead, and in that action moment any command given ends up in a que, and that takes time to find-alter-..... and then I'm too late, you recognize this. Computer and feelings do not match! The pilots who are shot at take time to call you, tell you, hey dude, whatsup, nice weather isn't it, oh yeah, I'm being shot at, what shall I do? While the standard setting is "GET THE HELL OUT OF THEIR RANGE!!!!!" yet this is what they do. Can't teach a computer feelings.
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 09:56

Koizuki wrote:

The main part that isn't available is the AI automatically using knowledge of stuff in radar range to adjust their routes. This is also a major reason why the "Patrol" behavior kind of sucks, as it still relies on the fleets' own radar range, instead of satellite range. Fixing this likely will require a rework of all the AI scripts to take the extra information into account, and then you end up with pretty big assumptions being made when redesigning them (such as the Flee behavior.. certainly no one's ever complained about that before, right? Of course I want my traders to spin around in a circle instead of, I don't know, landing at my Defense Platform bristling with guns like 10km away, or to just stay in travel drive and blow past pirates.)
I checked it out, funny that I did not notice this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I get sirens-sounds all the time!!! :lol:

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 05:03

I personally would be absolutely happy if something as 'sector satellites' was in game.
Or at least option to set satellites to 'blind/silent' mode when they would report only enemy ships/trade not cluttering the map and not eating resources.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 09:25

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 24, 05:03
Or at least option to set satellites to 'blind/silent' mode when they would report only enemy ships/trade not cluttering the map and not eating resources.
There is an option to turn off satellite coverage in the 'other filters' section of map filters in the top-right corner of the map screen. Gets rid of the green circles around each satellite & provides a much clearer map:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sp2z9dvz ... alg6j&dl=0
As for system resources, not convinced satellites consume all that many. Currently have over 1400 in my surveillance network without any noticeable adverse effects in normal gameplay:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a81eheff ... 7m7pp&dl=0

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 23:12

this is a miscommunication.

'sector satellites' mod had got a feature reporting only enemy traffic (or none at all) within a radius and trade offers by periodic scan. Normal satellites effectivelly makes part of the universe semi-IS (it is not exact Player-See-IS but more absorbing than OOS). And that is a substantial difference. You may be the happy one who had got the metal to ignore that but less fortunate, including me, hasn't. That 'silent mode' id ofc less cluttering on the map, too without missing informations like radius of satellite.
It is a feature I would gladly welcome in the base game otherwise why would I bother installing the mod?

Mods exists for a reason they either fill some vacuum or realize potential not fulfilled.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Return to “X4: Foundations”