Alternative Existential Crisis

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cazineer
x4

Alternative Existential Crisis

Post by Cazineer » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 19:31

I would like to present an example of what I believe would make for a compelling endgame crisis intended for veteran players. This example showcases a possible direction that moves away from spawning ships directly on top of player assets, as there are various ways to approach this design challenge. The goal is to create a more engaging and rewarding experience that encourages strategic planning and skill-based gameplay.

The Xenon Invasion

Background: The Xenon have discovered an ancient technology that allows them to rapidly produce ships and expand their territory. They have built massive production facilities in hidden sectors accessible only through heavily guarded gates (maybe infested?). To make matters worse, the Xenon have found a way to take control of the Ka'Hak, forcing them to join their ranks and fight alongside them.

Crisis Events:
  • 1. Xenon Gates Activate: Multiple Xenon gates suddenly activate across the galaxy, allowing Xenon fleets to pour into targeted sectors (sectors could be picked from a pool), catching the other factions off guard.
    2. Rapid Xenon Production: Inside the gated sectors, the Xenon use their newly discovered technology to produce ships at an alarming rate, quickly amassing a formidable fleet.
    3. Ka'Hak Subjugation: The Xenon reveal their control over the Ka'Hak, with Ka'Hak ships, including a new powerful capital ship called the Ravager, joining the Xenon forces.
    4. Sector Invasions: The Xenon and Ka'Hak forces launch coordinated attacks on key sectors, targeting stations, shipyards, and resource facilities to cripple the other factions.
    5. Gate Defenses: The Xenon heavily fortify their gates, making it challenging for the player and other factions to breach them and access the hidden production sectors.
Challenges:
  • 1. Defending Key Sectors: The player must prioritize the defense of critical sectors and stations against the relentless Xenon and Ka'Hak assaults.
    2. Breaching Xenon Gates: To stop the rapid production of Xenon ships, the player must find ways to breach the heavily defended gates and access the hidden sectors.
    3. Countering the Ravager: The player must develop strategies to counter the powerful Ka'Hak Ravager capital ship, which poses a significant threat to their forces.
    4. Resource Management: With the Xenon and Ka'Hak targeting resource facilities, the player must secure and manage their resources effectively to sustain their war efforts.
    5. Diplomatic Alliances: The player must forge alliances with other factions to coordinate defenses, share intelligence, and launch joint operations against the Xenon and Ka'Hak.
Resolution:
To win the crisis, the player must lead a coalition of factions to breach the Xenon gates, infiltrate the hidden production sectors, and destroy the rapid production facilities. They must also find a way to sever the Xenon's control over the Ka'Hak, either through diplomacy or by defeating the Ravagers and other key Ka'Hak ships. Once the production sectors are taken and the Ka'Hak are freed, the player and their allies can push back the Xenon invasion and restore peace to the galaxy.

This endgame crisis offers veteran players a challenging scenario that requires strategic planning, resource management, and diplomatic skills as they face a two-pronged threat from the Xenon and the enslaved Ka'Hak forces.

Side Note:
To cater to veteran players seeking a true test of their skills, the Xenon Invasion should be designed as a triggerable event that can be initiated by the player at their discretion and could offer multiple difficulty tiers such as Normal, Hard and Insane. This allows players to choose when they feel ready to tackle the challenge, ensuring they have the opportunity to prepare their empire, fleets, and alliances beforehand.

GlitchedVision
x4

Re: Alternative Existential Crisis

Post by GlitchedVision » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 21:37

I would like to submit an idea to make your side note possible... What if the player could discover these gates ahead of time and at a certain point a mission spawns to investigate and potentially reactivate the gate, but when they do... I just hope they have an army ready for the initial wave. The difficulty could be based off of which gate they attempt to open, with clear sign posting. This would make both the event itself and the way the player chooses the overall difficulty feel more in line with the universe. Perhaps different gates may offer different challenges. Maybe the easy gate is just a ton of xenon ships and production chains tightly packed into a single sector that gets cut loose, but if you go open the medium gate, you find out that not only was it linked with the first gate, opening it at the same time, but the second gate contains their research on kha'ak control. The final gate could hide the joint creation of the ravager along with several more production lines and would open the other two if opened first. This would allow players to slowly tackle it one step at a time, or take the risk to deal with it all at once, as well as fit the design philosophy of multiple ways to deal with things. Perhaps opening the easy gate gives additional diplomatic quests to help the other factions prepare their territory for the next gate? so many possibilities...

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:26

I just wanted to add that I love this idea. I really enjoy how much more organic it is, and has an event chain that leads up to the crisis. It doesn't just happen if a single threshold is met, but after a series of events and it enriches the story.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 12:22

If I was designing an existential crisis think I'd use the Hub. One pair of gates linked to an otherwise inaccessible cluster of resource rich sectors containing a LOT of Xenon ship production capacity & supporting infrastructure. Remaining 2 pairs of gates would link to standard Xenon sectors, shifting randomly every couple of hours (think that was cooldown in TC). While gates are connected massive reinforcement waves are dispatched to support local Xenon forces, or recapture the sectors if they've been lost to NPC factions or the player. From that point on usual map conquest rules apply - map progressively turns red if the player does nothing about it.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 15:39

So... get a scout, crank up the engines and send it through one of these gates travelling so fast that nothing can touch it. Drop a nav satellite or two near these super production facilities. Dock a fleet at HQ, teleport in. Repeat as needed. Does that win the crises?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 15:54

Zloth2 wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 24, 15:39
So... get a scout, crank up the engines and send it through one of these gates travelling so fast that nothing can touch it. Drop a nav satellite or two near these super production facilities. Dock a fleet at HQ, teleport in. Repeat as needed. Does that win the crises?
Guess that would be an issue. Maybe Boso, when he sees the destination, could say "you've got to be kidding, I live here!" & simply refuse to jump the HQ to such a risky location. At least until the crisis has been resolved & all the Xenon in those sectors dealt with by more conventional means.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 23:22

or without impeding players' agency (you wanna do stupid, be my guest) a teleportation failure of random-severe consequences about which possibility Boso would inform with his usual enthusiasm properly before an attempt.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. May 24, 13:25

As a combat player that focuses on combat and piloting the ships myself even the XL i totally agree with your side note. or something similar to make the xenon suddenly totally aggressive.

As a combat player i need in this game something that can end up ending the game if i fail so i have to restart.

Obviously it has to be the players choice and that they are well informed about the consequences.
Credence follow stars.

Return to “X4: Foundations”