[5.10] Low FPS when opening any UI

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tarte

[5.10] Low FPS when opening any UI

Post by tarte » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 23:31

My FPS drop from 60-90 to half of that (30-40) when I open any UI. It doesn't matter what UI, even just pressing ESC to open the options menu causes this huge fps drop. Is this a known issue?

Simply hovering (not clicking) the button in the top center when piloting a ship causes the same fps drop (and is only fixed after opening and closing any menu).

I'm using an i5-9600K, GTX 1060 and 16GB RAM. Nothing unusual, not the best, but well within the target range for this game. The game itself is running well, even with many ships on the screen. Only the menus feel very sluggish due to the mentioned fps drop. Sadly, the menus are a very important part of this game, so this is bad.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [5.10] Low FPS when opening any UI

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 23:51

See this thread just below yours for possible ideas.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

tarte

Post by tarte » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 00:17

Thanks for the fast response. I did not see that thread.

From my point of view: It seems like there is some engine bug that appears when the UI module is loaded that clogs the main thread of the application. It's impossible to be a rendering issue, because of the hovering bug variant I mentioned above. Literally nothing additional is rendered -> the frames still drop.

Before I do any local debugging I would be interested to know if only some players are affected or if it's an engine bug that affects every player. I have the issue on both of my devices. Can someone here assert that they do not have this issue?

tarte

Post by tarte » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 19:51

So, at least three persons experience this bug: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... _stations/

(How many more experience the bug that don't register and write it into a forum one can only guess.)

Is there a bug tracker or anything of the kind somewhere where one could report this issue? Please don't tell me I must drive over to Würselen and ring the bell? ;-)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 19:57

You already have reported it, here. I can assure you, however, that this is not something most people are running into, so identifying what is different on the systems of those who do is likely to be tricky. The more information you can provide, the better.

tarte

Post by tarte » Thu, 7. Jul 22, 00:11

Here's the dxdiag for my main PC: https://pastebin.com/5HKgB2ma

I don't use any mods and installed the game via steam in the default folder on my main drive. Changing ingame settings does not affect the bug in any way; I tried them all.

tarte

Post by tarte » Fri, 8. Jul 22, 12:59

No bug report would be complete without a screenshot of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/lYOAFdi

tarte

Post by tarte » Fri, 8. Jul 22, 13:30

Yet another detail:

* Opening the map view using the M key: 28-33 FPS
* Opening the map view using a navigational console: 45-55 FPS

Same zoom, no map filters active, same player position on the ship's bridge. Tried multiple times back and forth: Opening the same menu with the hotkey vs. the physical game object has a significantly worse performance.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”