GPU not recognised on laptops

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Earwin
x4

GPU not recognised on laptops

Post by Earwin » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 16:17

Hi,
I only have the option to use my integrated Intel card while I got an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050.
I already set a rule in Nvidia configuration to run it using my 1050 but still doesnt work.
Is there any solution? The game is unplayable...
Thanks!

VolusRus
x4

Re: GPU not recognised on laptops

Post by VolusRus » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:01

Same problem for me. If I forse the game to launch on Nvidia card, it simply crashes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:02

Some advice to try:

"Computers with multiple graphic cards.
Another common issue currently is for machines with multiple graphic adapters. Unfortunately our Vulkan engine might be trying to open from the wrong graphic card. To fix this you can temporarily disable a graphic card in your device manager without physically taking the card out of your machine."

You can simply disable and enable such devices in Device Manager, Display Adapters by right-clicking on a device and using the resulting pop-up menu.

See if this helps.

@ VolusRus: Your Nvidia crashing when forced is a different issue to the OP's and I suggest that you start your own thread here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Earwin
x4

Post by Earwin » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:09

It does not work. For laptops (Rog Strix for me), disabling Intel GPU also disable Nvidia one, they are linked... :s

VolusRus
x4

Post by VolusRus » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 18:08

I looked to resource usage chart in Task Manager and apparently game show that it is using Intel card, but runs on Nvidia card

kokik
x3

Post by kokik » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 18:58

Same for me, options showed that intel will be used, but the game runs on my GeForce, so not actually a problem, just confusing.
4210H
960M
Win10Home 64bit
Dont LAG & LAME, just PLAY the GAME.

maritimomarijo
x4

Post by maritimomarijo » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 20:10

That is true.
I have Alienware 17 R4 with Intel 630 card and Nvidia 1080 card.
in game is selected Intel card, NVIDIA card is in use but only 10% and is not going above that. and graphics is sticking up.

OzgurAtlas
x4

Post by OzgurAtlas » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 20:23

+1. We need a solution A.S.A.P. >:'(
I have Asus N551JW with gtx960m. Even when Intel disabled game using microsoft basic display. Its just cant see the nvidia.

Adronyth
x4

Post by Adronyth » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 15:58

Same here for me game doesnt recognise my gtx 960m and uses the darn intel chip instead cant even force the game to use my nvidia card and nvida driver doesnt recognise the game either

orbiter688
x4

Post by orbiter688 » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 19:03

I'm having the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve?

(edited)

Deactivated the Intel card and then relaunched game. Game crashed so I went back in and reactivated the Intel card. Relaunched game and now the Nvidia GTX 960M card in now working.

Go figure, could have just been a glitch but seems everything is working now.
Last edited by orbiter688 on Sat, 1. Dec 18, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

usrlocal
x4

Post by usrlocal » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 19:29

Things are looking pretty good over here. I have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (GL502VMK) with a GTX 1060 (6GB) GPU and an i7-7700HQ CPU. The latest NVIDIA drivers are installed. I'm running X4 currently in borderless windowed mode with graphics settings on Ultra, with 4x FSAA and VSync enabled (not triple-buffered). I'm getting ~ 60FPS in-game just flying around, and when I pull up Task Manager it's telling me that at that given time my GPU is at 21% usage.

So I'm pretty sure the game isn't just using my Intel GPU.

That being said, my laptop sounds like a hair dryer when I'm in-game since the fans are blowing constantly at full RPM. I guess a good set of headphones can deal with that. :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:39

Version 1.21, which is now available, improves on this. There may still be more for us to do, but hopefully this helps.

Jey123456
x4

Post by Jey123456 » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 23:16

I'm using an external gpu on my laptop but its not being seen by the game and instead forcing itself on the internal one.

Basically my laptop has 3 gpu, the intel gpu, an nvidia gtx 1070 and then using an external enclosure an nvidia rtx 2080.

But in the game i can only select the 1070 and i can confirm that only the 1070 is working during gameplay.

Just so were on the same page, every single games except this one will use the 2080 when the control panel is set for the game to use the "high-performance Nvidia Processor" in the nvidia control panel. Hell... if i actually want to use the 1070 for something that doesnt offer gpu selection im screwed, but this game somehow managed to do the other way around.

The "graphic card" section in the options does not offer me any way to switch it and its just stuck on the lower performance internal 1070.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 2. Jan 19, 16:27

You might want to check that your drivers are set up so that Vulkan is actually recognising that external card. Posting a DXDiag and vulkaninfo file might help us to see whether that's the case. Note that other games may not be using Vulkan, so the issue may not arise with them.

Jey123456
x4

Post by Jey123456 » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 04:25

Considering both cards use the same driver software (both are nvidia) im quite confident the drivers are installed and functional >_>

Vulkan info also show the 2080 as the first card so it should be the one used, and yet the game obstinately use the 1070. I also confirmed using a gpu usage monitor that when the game is running the 1070 is the one working while the 2080 is idle.

Heres the dxdiag and vulkaninfo files.
DxDiag.txt
vulkaninfo.txt

Jey123456
x4

Post by Jey123456 » Sat, 5. Jan 19, 01:37

i fully understand that laptop with external gpu arent a common occurrence so as weird as it may be for a game to somehow prioritize the internal over the stronger external gpu its not something that would affect a huge number of players.

All id like is for a command line parameter or config file that could be manually edited to override which gpuid is used by the vulkan engine. If i could force it back to ID:0 which is my 2080 then i would be happy, while it is true that i can play fine on the 1070, it makes me a bit sad to have the hardware for higher fps / graphic quality and be unable to use it due to the game literally avoiding it.

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Sat, 5. Jan 19, 23:25

I am using an egpu as well on a laptop with integrated Intel GPU. The game doesn't naturally use the external GPU by default.
BUT, on 1.50 there is an option in the Graphic Settings, where you can select which video card to use. That's working for me just fine.

Jey123456
x4

Post by Jey123456 » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 05:15

Endeavour79 wrote:
Sat, 5. Jan 19, 23:25
I am using an egpu as well on a laptop with integrated Intel GPU. The game doesn't naturally use the external GPU by default.
BUT, on 1.50 there is an option in the Graphic Settings, where you can select which video card to use. That's working for me just fine.
Where is that option ? I am on 1.50 but i cannot see any option to change which gpu is used. I do see the "Graphic card" entry in graphic options, but its not an option and simply a display of the 1070, clicking on it does not display any list or change anything. It's exactly whats in the screenshot i posted in the previous post.

The closest thing i have is the Screen selection, but that does not affect which gpu is actually doing the work only which screen is being used to render on.

So unless the actual option you speak off is something else that im somehow missing, then there's still an issue that the game does not see my 2080 nor use it.

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Sun, 6. Jan 19, 08:55

It's exactly this option. Does show a drop down with both GPU for me. This means the game completely doesn't recognise the GPU. Funny though that it s shown in the screen selection.
Sorry but you'll have to wait for Egosoft to come up with a fix.

Did you try disabling the 1070 in device manager before starting the game? Just an idea that has been mentioned before.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”