Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imuniser
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Imuniser » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 18:26

sirprosik wrote:
Sat, 18. Mar 23, 04:15
Anyone here know of a way on Linux to permanently disable steam cloud? Every time steam updates on this Linux box steam re-enables it for some reason.
Maybe blocking ports? There are a few besides 80 and 443:
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... 15%2D27050

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 01:29

Thanks for the reply and advice. I may have to do that in the future if steam starts changing setting again.

So far been about 4 updates and I have checked at each one and thus far no monkey business with steam cloud settings :)
I still want steam updates etc just did not want my X4 games in the steam cloud as they are not small and I have many many
more than the 10 default save game slots as well as duplicate game starts with plot branches etc.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 10:45

I went ahead and bought the game on Steam as well, to play the 6.0 sooner.

Though now I have some bugs to report and wanted to ask in what format should I add the system information? the official Beta support forum shows instructions only for Windows.

The main problem is that Bluetooth headphones do not play sound. Wired speakers/headphones play just fine. There are two sound output devices in the game settings, none of them produce sound via BT.

There were some visual/gameplay bugs as well, like a ship going through a gate in travel speed, would show current speed as 20km/h, but continue at travel speed and even the visual effects were more like Star Wars lightspeed and not like the regular travel speed. Could exit with the backspace button. Will test if the bug is reproducible or was a one-off.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 10:51

@ Reinis: Here is an example report that should give you some ideas. Please make sure that Linux is mention in the thread title along with the game version and a short description of the issue (one type of issue per thread).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 15:23

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 31. Mar 23, 10:51
@ Reinis: Here is an example report that should give you some ideas. Please make sure that Linux is mention in the thread title along with the game version and a short description of the issue (one type of issue per thread).
Thanks! I am getting ready to post my bug report, but I realized that I have no idea where the Steam version save games are located on Linux. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out they are located in the same `.config/Egosoft/X4/` folder, just inside a different sub-folder.

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 11:34

Reinis wrote:
Fri, 31. Mar 23, 10:45
The main problem is that Bluetooth headphones do not play sound. Wired speakers/headphones play just fine. There are two sound output devices in the game settings, none of them produce sound via BT.
I have playing since 5.x until 6.0rc1 on Linux + BT sound and dont have problem.

So be sure system is configured to play sound via BT, use for eg. a "blueman-manager" program
, configure and connect headphones to system. In game just chose "System Default" in audio settigs.
Its just works for me.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 13:31

bufi wrote:
Sun, 2. Apr 23, 11:34
I have playing since 5.x until 6.0rc1 on Linux + BT sound and dont have problem.

So be sure system is configured to play sound via BT, use for eg. a "blueman-manager" program
, configure and connect headphones to system. In game just chose "System Default" in audio settigs.
Its just works for me.
To clarify, the BT headphones play sound just fine from system, as well as X4 5.1 GOG edition. But will not play sound on RC1 from Steam.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 14:15

@ Reinis: Just in case it impacts here, there can be controls and settings issues in swapping between release and beta/RC versions:

"Note: When switching back from the Beta to the Release version, you may encounter problems with the controls. To resolve this, go to the in-game Start Menu and select Settings, Controls, Load Profile, then select the default profile from the list. Alternatively, if you make a copy of your inputmap.xml file before starting the Beta, you can simply copy this file back into your \Documents\Egosoft\X4 folder. Deleting the file will not solve the problem as it will be restored from the Steam Cloud."
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 14:31

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 2. Apr 23, 14:15
@ Reinis: Just in case it impacts here, there can be controls and settings issues in swapping between release and beta/RC versions:
Well, guess I can test going back to Release version and checking whether the sound plays over the BT headphones.

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 19:15

Reinis wrote:
Sun, 2. Apr 23, 13:31
To clarify, the BT headphones play sound just fine from system, as well as X4 5.1 GOG edition. But will not play sound on RC1 from Steam.
Ohh i see... try to move or delete config file in : "~/.config/EgoSoft/X4/*********/config.xml"
and just start a game with defaults/autodetect switch.

btw. iam playing Linux+BT+6.0RC1+Steam

b.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sun, 2. Apr 23, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unique Steam ID removed.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Mon, 3. Apr 23, 08:24

bufi wrote:
Sun, 2. Apr 23, 19:15
Ohh i see... try to move or delete config file in : "~/.config/EgoSoft/X4/*********/config.xml"
Removing the config file did not help.
What solved the issue was switching to 5.10 and then back to Beta version.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 18:54

I've got the GOG version, same issue with no sound from bluetooth. System works fine, games via steam are fine. Tried across 2 different sets of bluetooth hardware. Before turning it off, X4 was forcing sound to starship/matisse hd audio controller. I've never used this and I removed it from sound options via 'off' check box. Only happened since upgrading to 6.0.

beko
x4

Post by beko » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 19:50

Did you enable BT _after_ starting the game by chance?
In v5 it used to not show the BT device in that case. Switching to _any_ other audio device made it visible again 🤷

…at least with PipeWire.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 20:34

beko wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 19:50
In v5 it used to not show the BT device in that case. Switching to _any_ other audio device made it visible again 🤷

…at least with PipeWire.
Big negative on that one, my normal speakers are bluetooth so when I start the OS it starts the bluetooth speakers. I also renamed the config file which should have created a new one, no success. I alt-tabbed out and X4 was not under Audio Volume Applications tab. I also have problems starting the game from the desktop about half the time and found this:

4/12/23 12:26 PM systemd-coredump Process 5552 (Main()) of user 1000 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 5605:
#0 0x00007f5c776a08ec n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x878ec)
#1 0x00007f5c77651ea8 raise (libc.so.6 + 0x38ea8)
#2 0x00007f5c7763b53d abort (libc.so.6 + 0x2253d)
#3 0x00007f5c7763c29e n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x2329e)
#4 0x00007f5c776aa657 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x91657)
#5 0x00007f5c776adafc n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x94afc)
#6 0x00007f5c776ae8ed malloc (libc.so.6 + 0x958ed)
#7 0x0000000002234f29 n/a (/home/n7/GOG Games/X4 Foundations/game/X4 + 0x1e34f29)
ELF object binary architecture: AMD x86-64

beko
x4

Post by beko » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 20:50

ASCI Blue wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 20:34
beko wrote:

…at least with PipeWire.
Big negative on that one, my normal speakers are bluetooth so when I start the OS it starts the bluetooth speakers.
Looks like the shipped openal does not know about PulseAudio|PipeWire. I can only guess that it wants alsa or jack. All my sound devices were gone.
ldd X4
[...]
libopenal.so.1 => lib/libopenal.so.1 (0x00007f514f600000)
~~I simply removed that and now it uses my system's lilopenal and all my sound devices are back. (Main menu refuses to play music though)~~

Updated: Run with `ALSOFT_DRIVERS=pulse` or set "drivers = pulse" in `/etc/openal/alsoft.conf` or `~/.alsoftrc`:

Code: Select all

[general]
drivers = pulse
ldd X4
[...]
libopenal.so.1 => /lib64/libopenal.so.1 (0x00007fe66d25c000)
Edith says: Getting a lot of "[=ERROR=] 105.43 [SoundInstance::PlaySample] BE_Play failed!" in the debug log and Voice and Music are missing. Getting engine sounds n stuff though.
Last edited by beko on Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 21:44

beko wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 20:50
ASCI Blue wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 20:34
beko wrote:

…at least with PipeWire.
Big negative on that one, my normal speakers are bluetooth so when I start the OS it starts the bluetooth speakers.
Looks like the shipped openal does not know about PulseAudio|PipeWire. I can only guess that it wants alsa or jack. All my sound devices were gone.
ldd X4
[...]
libopenal.so.1 => lib/libopenal.so.1 (0x00007f514f600000)
I simply removed that and now it uses my system's lilopenal and all my sound devices are back. (Main menu refuses to play music though)
ldd X4
[...]
libopenal.so.1 => /lib64/libopenal.so.1 (0x00007fe66d25c000)
Edith says: Getting a lot of "[=ERROR=] 105.43 [SoundInstance::PlaySample] BE_Play failed!" in the debug log and Voice and Music are missing. Getting engine sounds n stuff though.

Beko for the win, I renamed the included libopenal.so.1 and seem to get many sounds, no speech, no music outside the intro Egosoft cinematic. X4 is also seen by my volume control now and I can select my speakers from in game.

beko
x4

Post by beko » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:07

Doing some digging and it's indeed so that the shipped openal.so can not find any PLAYBACK devices. CAPTURE devices are oddly enough just fine:

beko  …  X4_Foundations  game  lib  /usr/bin/openal-info
Available playback devices:
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
    JACK Default
Available capture devices:
    Monitor of Internes Audio Analog Stereo
    Internes Audio Analog Stereo
    Monitor of h.ear (MDR-100ABN)
Default playback device: JACK Default
Default capture device: QuickCam Communicate STX Pro
ALC version: 1.1
The ALSOFT-Error is a dead-sure giveaway that it tries to use ALSA.

What it _should see_ in my case, and does when using my system's library:

beko  /  games  linux  X4_Foundations  /usr/bin/openal-info
    h.ear (MDR-100ABN)
Default playback device: h.ear (MDR-100ABN)
…ah here we go: Forcing PULSE like this:

beko  …  X4_Foundations  game  lib  ALSOFT_DRIVERS=pulse /usr/bin/openal-info
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
    h.ear (MDR-100ABN)
Default playback device: h.ear (MDR-100ABN)
The default driver for openal is defined in `/etc/openal/alsoft.conf` or `~/.alsoftrc`:

[general]
drivers = pulse
My shipped system config is just empty: "drivers = "
So either set that to pulse or run with `ALSOFT_DRIVERS=pulse` and you should be golden :)

Edited to fix formatting and remove unnecessary information.
Also yay! Music starts playing in the main menu now.

LicoMonch
x4

Post by LicoMonch » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:55

beko wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:07

The default driver for openal is defined in `/etc/openal/alsoft.conf` or `~/.alsoftrc`:

[general]
drivers = pulse
Thx. This fixed the issue for my steam installation on Fedora 37
Those who die earlier, will be dead longer.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 23:36

I put alsa in place of pulse in a self created 2 line alsoftrc file at Beko's suggestion. Now everything works properly, and I get a small bucket of options in sound selection including stuff through my GPU. Thanks Beko!!

Arkival
x4

Post by Arkival » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 11:17

LicoMonch wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:55
beko wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 22:07

[general]
drivers = pulse
Thx. This fixed the issue for my steam installation on Fedora 37
That worked, thank you!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”