[3.20 b1 hf1] Mouse steering and interaction menu

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vardis
x4

[3.20 b1 hf1] Mouse steering and interaction menu

Post by Vardis » Tue, 12. May 20, 19:07

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a design issue that's causing me frustration. I typically have mouse steering turned on. When I bring up an interaction menu, and use the mouse to select an option, the ship takes a nosedive. You might say "easy solution, hit shift-space to disable mouse steering!" Unfortunately, while the interaction menu is displayed, shift-space stops working. I would have to turn it off, then bring up the menu, then turn it back on. Or I would have to use the arrow keys to select an option, which isn't ideal.

Perhaps this is something I can fix with key mapping though? I noticed that while AWSD for strafing is still functional, my mouse scroll wheel stops adjusting thrust, so perhaps I could make that go up/down instead of using the arrow keys? My mouse buttons seem to keep their normal function though, so selecting whatever I scrolled to would still be an issue. Maybe I could rebind another key for that...

While making shift-space toggle mouse steering in that menu would help, it would be awesome if it temporarily disabled mouse steering for me in that case.

Does anyone else run into this? How do you deal with it?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [3.20 b1 hf1] Mouse steering and interaction menu

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. May 20, 19:11

That sounds a bit similar to this thread or have I misunderstood?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vardis
x4

Post by Vardis » Tue, 12. May 20, 19:34

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. May 20, 19:11
That sounds a bit similar to this thread or have I misunderstood?
It's similar, but not quite the same. In that other thread, the suggestion was basically to remap direct mouse steering to something more convenient, so it would be easier to toggle when going in and out of menus, if I understood that properly

My main frustration is that shift-space simply doesn't work once I bring up an interaction menu with F. I have to hit shift-space first to toggle mouse steering, then F. I mean, it would be amazing if it automatically switched, but I suspect that's a big ask.

I simply can't find a way to select menu options off the interaction menu without using the arrows or mouse select and click. Arrows aren't convenient when you are using mouse and keyboard, and mouse select moves my ship all over unless I turn off mouse steering first, and for whatever reason, I usually forget to do that until after I bring up the menu.

It doesn't want to let me remap the alternate up/down on a menu to the scroll wheel, as that turns into "mouse axis Z" for just one of them, I can't remap that to W/S, or actually any other key I try - it simply won't let me. I'd use my mouse buttons, but I've got one mapped to close window, and I really want to keep that.

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 01:47

Hi, sorry to Necro this thread, but did you ever find a solution to this?
I'm in the same boat.
I would love to remap the scroll up/down the menu to my mouse wheel when i'm in the interaction menu as its usual function (throttle) is disabled.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”