[1454] "Reputation lost, unauthorized kill" - how, WHERE?!?!?!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sturmer

[1454] "Reputation lost, unauthorized kill" - how, WHERE?!?!?!

Post by Sturmer » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 17:52

This is an issue that's been plaguing this game since it's very release.

I keep getting notifications that apparently one of my ships killed someone they shouldn't and that sinks my reputation with them. The biggest problem is that the notification "Reputation lost, reason unauthorised kill" is hopelessly uninformative. I get the info that it happened, but not where, how or who.

The biggest issue in my game are Ministry of Finance and Fallen Families. I'm quite literally on the verge of going genocidal on them both because they're annoying me so much! MIN seemingly hate my guts, as soon as my rep reaches 20, I get a video message that I will pay for whatever I've done (I'm pretty sure I've done nothing, nor have any of my properties since I have positive rep with them and they only attack enemies) and then my "criminal record" (if they go on like that then their records, like themselves, will be burning embers floating in space) has been updated and my rep drops to 19 again. FAF otoh became an annoyance recently and my rep is in a freefall with them for no reason whatsoever.

The problem is that when I get a flood of these messages and I pause the game and go look through the entire map, sector by sector, where I supposedly killed someone I shouldn't, I can't find anything, no reds in any of the sectors where my forces are, yet the notifications keep coming.

@EGOSOFT, could you PLEASE (I'm begging you on my knees here, I'm so utterly desperate that I will start tearing out my hair) make these "reputation lost" messages be more informative. Add WHERE this questionable deed happened, who got attacked, who did the attacking, so I can actually find the ship/station responsible and find out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again?

Also, please add in the "fire authorisation overrides" an option "NEVER fire, instead give notification of being under attack and rather die than shoot back, cause my positive rep with them is worth more than your life".

PS: as I was writing this I actually found this new option of "fire overrides" (which seems to be a 4.0 addition), hopefully this will help somewhat.

iXTrace
x4

Re: [1454] "Reputation lost, unauthorized kill" - how, WHERE?!?!?!

Post by iXTrace » Sun, 27. Mar 22, 21:33

Has anyone figured out a way to find location of that rep-loss incident yet?
Because of same issue game is slowly corrupting my save against my will with this "incomplete-feature".

JeDe
x4

Post by JeDe » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 11:54

For this reason I have stopped building defense stations at critical points, because any freighter that gets a graze will immediately want to destroy the station, which in turn leads to the death of the freighter and a further drop in rank. A very annoying problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 12:04

@ devs: Further evidence here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

MakerLinux
x4

Post by MakerLinux » Sat, 2. Apr 22, 23:48

5.10 beta, and still no indication of where the incident happened. WHY?
I don't want any exploit. I just want to know where it happened so I can understand it. But I find absolutely no clue.
I've been playing X4: Foundations for more than 750 h and bought collector's edition and even Tides of Avarice ahead of release for the full price, and X4 keeps being the best game ever for me, but please, developers, just add this tiny bit of information for people to be aware of what's happening. There is absolutely zero reasons to keep the player in the dark here.
Anyway... I was on a roll playing X4: Foundations, 50h the last two weeks even though I'm very busy at my job... At least that will allow me to shift to other games in the meanwhile, but please, fix that, it's a gross, unpleasant long-unsolved bug.
Brazilian Linux-only user living in Poland, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 64 GB 6GHz DDR5 CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, ArchLinux
Controllers: steam controller via Steam Input or HOTAS set: TSaitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + G29 pedals.
VR headset: Valve Index & Meta Quest 2. My other PC: Steam Deck OLD with nReal AIR AR headset

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 8. May 22, 20:57

version="510" build="477240" nosteam.exe

A save, where within last couple minutes ARG rep did drop three times: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zsm7uB ... sp=sharing
These (ARG) losses have occurred quite a while now. Most are "unauthorized kills" but some start with "unauthorized attack".

On one of the messages that did flash on display, a "ARG Police Elite Vanguard" was mentioned. Quite often these messages show "Unknown ship".
I don't have many contacts with ARG, but haven't been able to spot the location / identify the involved assets.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Sturmer

Post by Sturmer » Sun, 29. May 22, 19:45

Encountering this problem again, this time also with Free Families not just MIN. They are not my enemies, but this game sure as heck is determined to make them into enemies.

I immediately paused and went through every single of my ships and stations, not one of them had any wrecks of destroyed ships of said faction nearby.

I did however see 2 VIG ASP RAIDERs, a Split ship flown by VIG pirates , near one of my battle platforms and since those have orders to kill all enemies they killed these VIGs.

Is it possible that the game thinks that since it's a Split-built ship that my platform killed a Split ship and thus tanked my rep? It's down to -10 now. :S It's the only thing that actually makes sense.

The game of course refused to give me info where the controversial kills happened. Would've thought Egosoft would've fixed this by now...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. May 22, 11:00

Unfortunately the FRF quite frequently fly Asp Raiders as Marauders or Delivery Ships while cloaked as another faction (maybe even VIG?). Also FAF may fly them cloaked as some other faction. Unless you scan them, you may not know their true colours.

The main issue, as you say, is about which player ship was involved and where (in the notifying and logging).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dooferorg

Post by dooferorg » Sat, 25. Jun 22, 05:29

Still getting this happening too. It's suddenly started happening on the game I'm playing as well. Teladi company +12 to -12 in a matter of minutes. Just a constant stream of 'unauthorized kill' messages but no way to find out what and where like OP stated. It's obvious the devs have no clue about writing software that logs real information or they would have designed the 'log book' part to be *actually useful*.

@devs.. we need the following information for all log entries (preferably with a 'show me' clickable link/button)

- Location (click to find/zoom would be invaluable)
- Our Vessel(s) involved, if applicable
- Our Station(s) involved, if applicable
- Other faction's vessels and/or stations involved

This sort of stuff feels very basic and overlooked.. for how many years now?

Knallfrosch
x4

Post by Knallfrosch » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 09:50

I realized, that my L Freighters and Battleships will kill small ships, just by flying into them. Especially at sinza, the KI is obviously not able to avoid collisions at high speeds... so i tried to minimize Sector-patrols in areas, where i need the reputation. But i still have some incidents, where the Teladi MIN faction will accuse me of attacking a station, but i have no ship near any of their stations... still a myth to me. so am loosing rep constantly. No clue how to stop that.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 11:53

I do hope Egosoft can add additional information to the logs to aid in tracing these events, I've asked in the past a number of times. Just a log entry that allows us to zoom to the ships involved - like other log entries do - would be perfect. The bonus here is that it would allow us to demonstrate example of fake incidents, where the player gets blamed for an event neither they, nor any of their assets were involved in.

For example, I'd just started a new game, launched from the Black Hole Sun Equipment Dock and was sat outside the station when a fight broke out. It was some Pirate ships (one of the Split factions IIRC) that were shooting up the station, but were quickly dealt with. It was during this fight that I got the "Attack against this station" comms, quickly followed by a "Criminal record updated". At this point I've not fired a shot, not bumped anything, just been sat in space watching the fireworks. A log entry here telling me what the game *thought* was the offending ship, would certainly help track down this bug. I think I restarted that game, as my rep was destroyed within a couple of minutes of starting lol.

I've had this occur a number of times in my current long-term game, but not once has the issue been genuine. I've been able to check all my assets and none were involved in any hostilities. As the number of assets grow, it's harder to quickly check things now. But I still pause, check all my ships on Patrol / in combat, check my ships for any illegal wares they'd flown through and accidentally picked up etc. Not one genuine event spotted.

sirrealist
x4

Post by sirrealist » Sun, 18. Sep 22, 19:26

This is happening to me now. I'm losing rep with MIN and I don't have any ships near them and I'v3e checked everything. None of my ships are attacking anything except Xenon. No anti-pirate activity. Can't find out where/why this is happening. Any luck out there?

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Mon, 19. Sep 22, 00:43

Sturmer wrote:
Sun, 21. Mar 21, 17:52
Also, please add in the "fire authorisation overrides" an option "NEVER fire, instead give notification of being under attack and rather die than shoot back, cause my positive rep with them is worth more than your life".
The least form of fire authorization is defend only. But there is no such command as "don't attack - ever".

I really like this option to be added word for word :lol:
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

shilohmc33
x4

Post by shilohmc33 » Sun, 16. Apr 23, 00:46

Just want to say I’m having this same issue too, any solutions yet? I’m about to download the cheat code and blow up all the Ministry stations.
AMD FX-8150 8-Core @ 3.6Ghz
Memory: 12GB DDR3 RAM GeForce GTX 760

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 16. Apr 23, 10:04

Please don't dig up old threads that relate to previous game versions. Start your own thread and provide the information requested at the top of the forum. For this particular issue you'll definitely need to provide a savegame, as it invariably turns out to be caused by orders the player has given their ships resulting in those ships engaging in combat.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”