Can't load save games

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Psyrebro

Can't load save games

Post by Psyrebro » Wed, 12. May 21, 21:14

So I'm playing a completely unmodified collectors edition on steam, and I can't load my save games from last night.
Anyway here is a breakdown:
Today I tried to load 3 autosaves and a manual save from last night and none of them work. They load to ~70% and just go back to main menu.
For some reason, one of them worked, the oldest autosave I believe. So I loaded it up and all was good, until ships started to bug out. Multiple ships that were assigned to other stations or fleets began to be completely unresponsive when you give them any orders, reset behaviors, remove all orders and assignments, anything really. Only thing I found out that reset them was if I manually teleported to the ship and took control, then teleported out, ship would mostly resume with its default behavior.
Also, then I found out that after loading any of those saves, my game was marked as "modified" except the save from 2 days ago...

Anyway, only thing that I did that could be conflicting with the game is I noticed that when you mount T mooring docks on any connective structure, and then move the whole thing while holding the connective structure, you can get around the "volume overlap" issue while trying to place multiple T mooring docks in relatively close proximity since the game doesn't check for volume overlap while holding the connective structure.
So basically, I upgraded some of my stations and built one abusing this loophole. It possibly could've progressively corrupted my save or something.
Additionally, I have had some steam sync issues with the game, and I had quite spotty connection last night, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.
And yeah, I did a full steam, windows and game restart with multiple file integrity checks.
Only solutions I currently have is continue the save from 2 days ago which is like many, many hours and progress lost, or continue to play the "modified" version which kind of kills it for me since I can't use ventures and honestly, the issue with unresponsive ships is still there. So what can I do?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Can't load save games

Post by CBJ » Wed, 12. May 21, 21:32

You've not uploaded any savegames for us to look at, but even so I can say with a fair degree of certainty that your savegames are corrupted. This is confirmed by them being modified, and by the fact that there are unresponsive ships, both of which indicate that the latter parts of the file are missing.

You've also not provided a DXDiag (vulkaninfo isn't necessary in this case) so we can't really see whether there's anything on your system that could be causing this. One common cause of this happening, though, is lack of disk space on the drive where your Documents folder sits; another is some other application (e.g. antivirus software) interfering with the save process. We're not aware of anything in the game itself that could cause this, either involving specific actions by the player or "random", but obviously we can't rule it out entirely.

Continuing with a corrupted save is probably not a good idea, as it's never going to be "uncorrupted" again, so I suggest you revert to your last "good" save (one that loads without being shown as modified, and doesn't have any unresponsive ships) and continue from there. But maybe provide some of that other information first, as requested at the top of the forum, so that we can see what the likelihood is of it happening again. :)

Psyrebro

Post by Psyrebro » Wed, 12. May 21, 22:09

Here you go, didn't realize you guys actually wanted to check out the save files.
DxDiag
Save files

Also, it is true I had some kind of warning for low disc space yesterday or so, but when I checked today, I still had 9GB on that drive which is not exactly full so I don't think that should be the problem. I cleaned it out today anyway.
EDIT: My Vermintide II was updating last night with a huge 50 GB+ patch, so it could've been allocating space or unpacking and stuff maybe.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 13. May 21, 11:13

Your theory in the edit sounds like a very likely suspect. One possible way around this sort of thing happening is to keep your application and game files on a different drive or partition to your OS/documents/swapfile, if you can. That at least allows you to manage your drive space more effectively.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”