[RES][#1174]Game broken - can't upgrade / resupply any ships at Wharfs - Repeat Orders setting issue.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redgum
x3tc

[RES][#1174]Game broken - can't upgrade / resupply any ships at Wharfs - Repeat Orders setting issue.

Post by Redgum » Thu, 14. Oct 21, 10:00

Tonight I ran into a curious problem - after docking a ship, the menu to Upgrade /repair ship opens, but the docked ship isn't showing up nor will it let me select the docked ship. All drop-downs are disabled. The only buttons that work are the 'Reset View' and 'Cancel Order; buttons. This happened with the OWL, and then on the Dragon .

I shut the game down (to menu first time, and then exited to desktop the second time) and after reloading, same problem.

I've noted some other weird behaviors earlier - like one of my trading ships just sat there and wouldn't do anything despite having been ordered to trade. I could tell it to fly and wait, but trade it would not. After re-configuring the repeat order and sending it to another sector, it still exhibited the same strange behavior. I was able to take over and dock the ship myself and make a trade (medical supplies) so it wasn't that the ship was the wrong type.

I then re-assigned the braindead Teladi Captain (almost fired the putz) to 'service personnel' and promoted someone else. Just as the new person sat down in the pilot's seat, I clicked "assign most qualified" or something and the same guy came back. However, now I was able to get the ship to start trading. 0.o

About an hour of gameplay later, that's when I find that I can't stop any of my ships at a Wharf and re-supply them.

[EDIT: Also just remembered something else weird that happened earlier -- the 'SHIFT - I' combination would NOT bring up the menu. It just plain stopped working in the middle of the game. I restarted the game (quit to desktop) and it started working again upon reload. This was about 2 hours before the weird Teldai trader ship issue and 3 hours before the can-t-upgrade-re-supply-my-ships-at-a-wharf issue.]

* Vanilla Game - no mods

* Save game link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZfvSb ... sp=sharing
Peace through superior firepower

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game broken - can't upgrade / resupply any ships at Wharfs

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 14. Oct 21, 11:47

Have you verified your game installation since these issues appeared?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 14. Oct 21, 12:42

has ur rep with the races gone down and that might be why?
Last edited by Skeeter on Fri, 15. Oct 21, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Redgum
x3tc

Post by Redgum » Thu, 14. Oct 21, 17:49

Re: Game files

Verified and good.

Re: Standing with Alliances

I'm at an Argon Wharf with an alliance standing of +24, which should be good enough to trade I'd think.
Note: This is with ALL ships and ALL factions, not just my Argon pals.. I don't even get the context menu after right-clicking on any of the Wharfs in the map. NONE of the repair yards or Wharfs show a context menu to repair / upgrade period. :(

Redgum
x3tc

Post by Redgum » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:04

Ok, mystery solved!

I must confess this is both an error on my part, and possibly a bug on EgoSoft's end as well.

The problem:
Can't upgrade ships at Wharf / repair docks. After noting the inability, I physically took control of one of the ships and flew it to the Argon Wharf myself and tried to replenish the satellites and laser turrets etc.
While docked, I cannot access the menu to buy more satellites or anything else. I can buy new ships, but not upgrade the one I'm flying or any of the other two that were nearby. The response is the same no matter what faction or location.

The cause:
All of the affected ships were on 'REPEAT ORDERS' loop, including the Geometric Owl which I was flying and docked with. (Normally, I don't have the OWL or the Dragon on repeat orders since both of these ships are the two that I fly regularly, so it caught me by surprise to find they were.)

The solution:
Set to something other than repeat orders e.g. Hold Position.

Possible Bug Anyway:
If I take manual control of a given ship, regardless of its state in the order processing loop, for all intents and purposes those orders have been PAUSED because the AI Captain is no longer in command. The ship doesn't fly by itself when I take command, so the order processing should cease affecting the ship's behavior altogether. Clearly, this isn't the case because with the AI captain's orders set to 'Repeat Orders' it locks-out any such actions normally, and also when the player takes control of the craft -- preventing the human captain from repairing or replenishing the ship at a dock.

Suggestion:
There have been a number of times when I'm in MAP VIEW and see one of my mining or trading ships needs repairs, or that some Xenon are attacking the destination station so I'd like to be able to go into the repeat orders menu (see picture below) and click a 'PAUSE ORDERS' button and issue a manual directive, like having the ship leave the area or go dock at another station until the party is over. What's painful about the current situation is that it takes time to make decent sets of specific orders - some ships like mining ships I just instruct to go sell in sectors, while trading vessels I often have very specific routes / stations I restrict them to trading with. I must destroy that list if I want to have the ship stop for repairs, or to go perform some other temporary task like getting out of the way of a Branch-9 destroyer and the fleet of Chihuahua-N's savaging the trading station that my ship *was* destined toward.

A pause command would let us preserve the existing sequence of commands and issue a manual order - bonus points if you make it so that there's a checkbox allowing the repeat order sequence to 'un-pause' when the temporary command is completed or removed.

Thanks for the great game and reading this far.

-Red

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Game broken - can't upgrade / resupply any ships at Wharfs - Repeat Orders setting issue.

Post by florianlt » Thu, 4. May 23, 10:23

Fixed in an upcoming version.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”