Can't load station configuration pages - Fixed in 5.10 HF 2.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cobra117
x4

Can't load station configuration pages - Fixed in 5.10 HF 2.

Post by Cobra117 » Tue, 12. Apr 22, 21:58

Right after the last 5.10 release, I noticed I couldn't access station configuration screens. The game freezes and then... nothing. Even after 10mn. This happens all the time with my main shipyard in Matrix 9 (more than 1000 stations on that one)

Note that a week ago, I was able to access the page and add stations if needed. I tried an old savedgame with the same results. Apart from that, the game is ok.

DXDiag, Vulkaninfo and the last saved game are here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Does anyone have a clue ?
Thanks for your help !

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can't load station configuration pages

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Apr 22, 22:20

Have you verified your game installation since the last update?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 12. Apr 22, 23:41

At a guess, you have saved station layouts in your construction plans folder which contain invalid data, perhaps from a previous run-through with a modified game. Try moving any files in that folder out of there and running the game again. If that works, then you can work out which are the affected files and put the unaffected ones back into the folder for later use.

Cobra117
x4

Post by Cobra117 » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 21:23

Thank you for your answears.
I ran the steam local files integrity check, and they all check ok.
I found only one file in the constructionplan folder and removing it doesn't change the problem.

How do you reinstall the game ? Just by saving game files, uninstalling from my PC and loading the game from steam again ? What folder should I save before erasing everything ?
Is there another way ?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 21:30

For a clean uninstall, I would go to Drive:\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations and manually delete the entire X4 Foundations folder *there* to remove any modified or corrupt files. Then either reinstall or verify X4 on Steam to be pure vanilla. This will not affect any of your X4 saves, screenshots, profiles or progress logs etc in Your Documents. That means that your saves could still be suspect unless you do a fresh gamestart and play on from that.

It does seem a bit of overkill doing all that but if that is what you want to do ...

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 17:13

Current version does not seem to like large stations. Also having issues with the station editor. In my case the station editor does eventually start, however the game is frozen for several minutes before that happens. Performance in the station editor after it finally starts is also very poor, with lengthy delays (over a minute) every time a module is added, moved or rotated. It's effectively unusable for large stations. Posted a report (with save) in the beta forum: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=446898

Isebrand

Post by Isebrand » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 21:46

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 14. Apr 22, 17:13
Current version does not seem to like large stations. ....
Can confirm this. The game performance (when using "Plan Build") gets very laggy on stations with more than 1000 modules.
I tested the same station in the same savegame with 5.0 and 5.1.
In 5.0, the station editor was not laggy at all.

Cobra117
x4

Post by Cobra117 » Sun, 17. Apr 22, 22:17

I play vanilla, never added add ons, just egosoft.
I reinstalled the game on another PC. 5.10 hotfix 1.
Same results. I can access smaller stations, but it now takes more than 10mn (ten minutes !!) to access my main shipyard layout (930 production, 3 build, 83 storage, 161 habitation, 1772 other modules)
GPU (GeForce3070 RTX Ti), processor (i9 12900), RAM 32Go, 700Go available on my main SSD, so the hardware can handle it. Ress monitor doesn't show any unusual bottleneck, File integrity check looks ok.

I tried to load several saves, and it seems that X4 gets lost above 500-600 modules, and even in this case, the game gets skippy and additional modules are very difficult to add due to an extreme lag. Besides of that, the game runs fine.

Is there now a limit to the amount of modules in a station ?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 18. Apr 22, 11:05

It looks as though the effective limit is tied to the capability of your system to handle them.

Also I vaguely recall reports that the Logical Station Overview could could get overwhelmed by complexes with too many different production lines and linkages and stop displaying properly.

MasterOD
x4

Post by MasterOD » Sat, 23. Apr 22, 03:05

Good day to you Ladies and Gentlemen,

I can confirm this.

I have a Station which is more or less a Mega-Storage without any production lines. Approx. 1800+ Modules. Most of the modules in that station are without shield and weapons.

Opens in seconds and also can be edited.

I also have two Mega-Shipyards. Both are built on the same construction plan as "Self Sufficient Complexes".

Shipyard 1 has except

- Split food construction line
- Tobacco, alcohol and drug product lines
- The new recycling product line

every possible production line installed.

Modules:

Production modules: 593
Wharf modules: 12
Storage Modules: 676
Habitat Modules: 110
Docking modules: 40
Defense modules: 34
Other Modules: 998

Many of the Modules also equipped with shields and weapons:

M-Weapons: 978
L-Weapons: 128
M-Shields: 489
L-Shields: 48

Opening station configuration page lasts 30 seconds. Adding/confirming a new Module lasts around one minute.

The second shipyard is something like an upgrade/further development from Shipyard 1 and has except the tobacco, alcohol and drug product lines, every production line installed.

Therefore the second shipyard has far more modules.

Production modules: 695
Wharf modules: 12
Storage Modules: 684
Habitat Modules: 247
Welfare modules: 2
Docking modules: 68
Defense modules: 87
Processing modules: 4
Other Modules: 1090

It also has far more weapons and shields installed as Shipyard 1

M-Weapons: 14248
L-Weapons: 620
M-Shields: 7124
L-Shields: 248

Opening station configuration page for this lasts 06:32 Min, adding a module seems to kill the game or I was not patient enough waiting. I added a new module and after 12 Minutes no feedback from the station configuration page, I killed the X4 Task via steam.

My Gaming-PC:
- I9-12900K @ 3.19 GHz
- 32GB RAM
- Win10 Pro 21H2
- OS and Gaming partition on different NVMe SSD
- GeForce GTX 1080
- Drivers for GPU Sound Network etc. p.p. are actual

X4 5.10 (476781)
- Vanilla
- Collector’s edition
- DLC ToA
- Savegame is 3000+ hours coming from 1.xx

Somewhat between 5.00 and 5.10 happened.

With 5.00, I extended the Shipyard 2 with four modules of the new Recycling Production Line and two Welfare modules. For the Welfare modules I had to rebuild a whole section of the Shipyard and it was ‘quiet performant’
After the Upgrade to 5.10 the state is as described as above.

V/R
MasterOD

daren_hobbs
x4

Post by daren_hobbs » Sat, 23. Apr 22, 22:52

I'm experiencing a very similar issue. It takes ~8-10 seconds to load the station editor. Once I have the editor open, viewing the station and moving the camera is very smooth. I've run the numbers with low and high graphics setting with no change.

Whenever I select or move a module, it hangs for ~8-10 seconds.

I've loaded the template into the station designer game start and there is no lag.

This is a vanilla game started on version 4.0

Prod: 344
Build: 30
Store: 297
Hab: 120
Dock: 7
Other: 94

17-6700k
1080ti

Isebrand

Post by Isebrand » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 13:38

@daren_hobbs

It will take longer and longer the more modules you add. That is at least my experience.
The hardware is not causing the issue like mentioned above.
Because this bug did not appear in 5.0. It only started with 5.1.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 17:36

Thanks for the report and the save. The issue is indeed new in version 5.10, and will be fixed in an upcoming update. The fix is already available in the current public beta for 5.10 Hotfix 2.

daren_hobbs
x4

Re: Can't load station configuration pages - Fix in a future build.

Post by daren_hobbs » Sat, 14. May 22, 07:52

There was no change with 5.10 Hotfix 2. I'm using the new game Station Design Simulator and have tested loading plans as well as just building from scratch. It still gets progressively unresponsive as the number of modules increases.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 14. May 22, 12:22

If you are still having a problem then it may well be caused by something different, which means you will need to provide more information again. A new savegame would be the most helpful. Please also check your build version in the game's main menu to make sure you really do have the latest version; it should say 477240.

daren_hobbs
x4

Post by daren_hobbs » Sat, 14. May 22, 16:47

Thanks.

Files
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Version: 5.10(477240)
Modified: FALSE
Game Start: Station Design Simulator

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Mon, 23. May 22, 16:39

daren_hobbs wrote:
Sat, 14. May 22, 07:52
There was no change with 5.10 Hotfix 2. I'm using the new game Station Design Simulator and have tested loading plans as well as just building from scratch. It still gets progressively unresponsive as the number of modules increases.
Thanks for the provided savegame. It is true that the menu gets less and less responsive with a high number of modules, but unfortunately that is unavoidable. A station with 4000 modules like in your savegame is already an extreme case. The biggest problem is that the game freezes for many seconds when closing the editor view of the station (e.g. by switching to "Edit Loadout", or by closing the menu). We are still looking into that one, there may be a fix in a future update.

However, these issues are not new, they have been there before 5.10 already. In 5.10 the performance got much worse, and it was definitely noticeable - even opening the menu could cause a freeze of many minutes. In 5.10 Hotfix 2 we fixed these issues specifically, making the menu usable again, comparable to how it was before 5.10.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”