[1830][5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rudi_pioneer
x4

[1830][5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Post by rudi_pioneer » Mon, 18. Apr 22, 11:45

Version 5.10, started to happen in last few hours of savegame with 3 different stations, even after saving, quitting, and loading the game again. Serious bug (loss of complex station setup without ability to reject changes), but happens rarely.

Bug:
1. Open station build menu
2. Make changes (remove & add modules)
3. Save and approve. See that modules being deconstructed and new ones constructed.
4. Open and close build view few times (not sure if alternating stations does anything). At one point station will have most updates removed and it will be applied in game world as well. Opening and closing build view again shows that change is permanent. I didn't get a prompt to not save changes or opt out other way.

Station in save this is happening right now: "VIG Scrap Processing Factory". It happened with "TER Scrap Processing Factory" and "VIG Solar Power Plant" in last 2 hours as well.

https://gofile.io/d/iYm1gT

I was on the fence about filing this bug since it's hard to reproduce and not sure what set of circumstances made it happen, but i figure it's important to report since player could spend long time designing a station and lose it without even knowing.

Raptor34
x4

Re: [5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 18. Apr 22, 12:25

Have the same issue too.
Now I load a save plan and but clicking confirm changes just removes everything.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention even without opening the build menu it just stops and when I reopen the build menu it forces me to confirm changes which removes everything else. Temp fixed by adding a new module, confirming changes and then loading the old plan again. New module was according to old plan too.
Also this station is built in Avarice and has been hit by the tide. No manager or any non-station additions yet.
Edit2: Yeah it ain't working, module complete and then it just force kills every other module after that. Though adding in new modules seem to work. It's planned to have salvage and s/m/l/xl fabs.
Edit3: Seems it's the scrap receiver module that is bugged and caused problems.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Re: [5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Post by rudi_pioneer » Tue, 19. Apr 22, 05:05

Happened again with stations above (two have recyclers, one is solar power plant with protecyon shield). i took a video after bug happened (of course every time i take video it works then), but if you do the exact same thing like in video few times with these stations, modules disappear after opening build menu few times.

Video: https://gofile.io/d/3FDNrJ
DXDiag: https://gofile.io/d/6eQ6os
vulkaninfo: https://gofile.io/d/npmn4P

rudi_pioneer
x4

Re: [1830][5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Post by rudi_pioneer » Tue, 19. Apr 22, 11:58

Reproduced it! I had construction plan saved, and when i load it and press "confirm changes" most of construction plan disappears! No errors or indicators that something is wrong, just modules disappear. (same disappearance happens like in the bug above)

Here's construction plan: https://gofile.io/d/IPrQtj (station named "temp")

TheGiraffe
x4

Re: [1830][5.10] opening station build menu removes previously approved construction (infrequent bug, serious)

Post by TheGiraffe » Wed, 20. Apr 22, 04:49

I've also experienced this bug in Nopileos Fortune II.

The construction blueprint would remove all modules as soon as it reached my first refined metal production. I tried reloading the blueprint, but it would remove all the remaining modules as soon as I confirmed the changes. I tried removing a module, putting the blueprint down again, and it then built the module, asked me to confirm module changes as soon as that was done, and immediate erased all my pending module construction.

I made a new plot in the same sector, deconstructed the original complex, and used the same blueprint I'd saved from the first complex's build. The new plot has let me construct at least 2 of the Refined Metal Productions so far that the original would not let me build.

I'm not using any of the new modules in my build on this complex either.

I'll add before any asks, my save at some point decided to claim that it was modified, but I'm not actually using any mods and I did not use a custom start.

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 03:54

this bug is really bad,

it is happening to me as well.

very frustrating, and game breaking bug, it keeps getting worse.
X gamer , one at a time.

xht
x4

Post by xht » Thu, 28. Apr 22, 04:45

Have the same issue in Nopileos Fortune II.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Apr 22, 17:10

If you have something to add to the report please do so, otherwise avoid "I have this too" posts, the issue is being tracked and should there be an update it will stated here.

MFG

Ketraar

Cetus808
x4

Post by Cetus808 » Mon, 16. May 22, 11:14

It looks like the game doesn't like large lists of planned modules if there are already a high number of modules been build.

In other words i have 2 identical mega factories with around 1000 modules. One is ahead in progress and serves as blueprint for the other one.
Usually a modification or station upgrade involves a lot of removed and/or added modules.

So loading a blueprint over an existing station causes the mentioned bug. The planned modules list is deleted and builder unassigned.
If i do the same modification as the blueprint but manually it works till a certain point. To many planned modules at a time or "commit" is causing the same behaviour.
I couldn't figure out the exact number but its around 1000 already existing modules and planned modules list of more than 100.
But if i plan modifications in smaller chunks it works just fine.
Oh and deleting modules also works fine even with blueprint.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Thu, 19. May 22, 01:15

Not sure if it is relevant or not but here is what I'm doing and when this happened. Note that this seems to have happened right after I added the Managers to two stations.

I typical use the Confirm Module Changes button several times during my build. Here is my order:

1) Add a dock, hit confirm.
2) Add a Pier, hit confirm.
3) Add Container storage, hit confirm.
4) Add Energy Production, hit confirm.
etc.
N) Add money
N+1) Assign builder

Normally I add the manager right after the first dock is built but this time I didn't notice in time and added it after the piers were built on two stations. Right after I added the managers I went back to look at the station a few minutes later and noticed the entire build sequence was gone and only the dock and pier were built at both stations. The Build Storage had all the stuff necessary to build the Container storage. The Construction builder had left.

IMPORTANT: One more thing, I normally have a saved Plan of a station that has Dock, Pier, Container, Energy all defined. I load it, delete all but the dock, confirm, load it again, delete everything but the pier, confirm, etc.

NOTE: All of the construction materials seem to be there in build storage - for the entire build.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Thu, 19. May 22, 01:28

One more thing I just noticed. When I try to load my plan to complete the build, and I hit Confirm, everything gets deleted when I hit confirm now. That plan seems to be bugged.

lmike
x4

Post by lmike » Wed, 1. Jun 22, 21:29

Looks like the copy of this issue viewtopic.php?f=192&t=447025&p=5121164#p5121164

Btw: This is still actual and this is really annoying.

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 12:53

Cannot reproduce. Please provide a save and detailed steps to reproduce if the issue still persists.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Thu, 9. Jun 22, 23:22

Still happens but not consistently (never on smaller stations, rarely on larger (?) ones). Save and diags already provided. Will keep an eye if something indicates how to reproduce reliably.
florianlt wrote:
Wed, 8. Jun 22, 12:53
Cannot reproduce. Please provide a save and detailed steps to reproduce if the issue still persists.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Tue, 12. Jul 22, 21:53

Based on the way it’s happening (extremely rarely on larger stations, possibly when using station builder often), i don’t think I can provide 100% reproducible save (ones I got above is best I could do).

I wonder if it’s some oddity related to memory leak, some variable carrying over, etc causes this, and if it might be specific to some PCs? Most concrete data point is that it was introduced in 5.0

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 12. Jul 22, 22:35

Speculation about any underlying technical cause isn't going to progress this, nor is speculation about the version in which it might have been introduced.

Please keep trying to find a scenario in which it can be reproduced, as this provides the best chance of resulting in a fix.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Tue, 12. Jul 22, 22:42

Ignore the speculative part - one concrete data point is that for my case, it started in 5.0, and I didn’t had it from 4.0 until 5.0.

dooferorg

Post by dooferorg » Thu, 14. Jul 22, 06:32

Not sure why this still isn't fixed since it's been going on for a long time. I've had stations that I thought were on their way to build and go back to them and the builder has buggered off and it's all half finished and the proposed module changes have disappeared.

What I found that works is to save the plan, export and reimport and then select the core of the station you're trying to modify, delete it and then load the new station plan in. It might cause things to get broken down and rebuilt but it'll allow you to keep the plot and get the station built.

It seems like it's to do with how the building screen evaluates what is 'valid' in terms of a station build. I think it gets confused at sections being close together, or possibly thinks there's some kind of overlap when there isn't any and just blows away the sequence. I'm not sure how your code is written, Egosoft, but I would suggest taking a look at that.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 14. Jul 22, 09:08

dooferorg wrote:
Thu, 14. Jul 22, 06:32
Not sure why this still isn't fixed since it's been going on for a long time.
It's not been fixed because we still don't have any means to reproduce it so that we can see what the problem is. We have looked at the code in depth, and tried at many different scenarios, with no luck. If you can provide a step-by-step guide or a savegame to reproduce the problem, then please do so.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Thu, 14. Jul 22, 09:50

I recorded a video right after the issue happened on one of the "problematic" stations, and I found this bug that's 100% reproducible with station changes disappearing: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=448665 - it may not be related to this issue (one happens on station build enter/exit, other on button press), but then, it might!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”